Yet another door gasket thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
It is nearing that time to replace the door gasket yet again. The OEM gasket had lasted for 10 years with periodic adjustments to the hinge and latch. I put in a Rutland 5/8" gasket on '08 that I had picked up at Menards. I was a little disappointed in that I fully expected to have to back off the adjustments that I had made but the new gasket barely passed the dollar bill test as it was. Since then I've had to make modifications to the stove in order to get more range of adjustment on the door. I have now max'd out on the "improved" range as well.

Given the "improved" range, I would have been comfortable to buy Rutland again despite my initial disappointment but I see Menards no longer sells Rutland brand gasket. They have SBI (Drolet) brand at $29 for 9 feet and MEECO'S Red Devil at $10 with no mention of length. I need about 7 feet. Does anyone have experience with either brand and willing to hazard a guess as to how close to 5/8" it really works out to?

Here in Canada I can buy Imperial brand at Home Hardware for about $17 for 5/8" in a kit with adhesive. They also sell it by the foot in 5/8" and 3/4" thicknesses. When installing the gasket, one needs to be careful not to stretch the braid as it gets thinner (like Chinese handcuffs) but I am considering moving up to the 3/4" Imperial and stretching it a bit to fit the 5/8" channel. Does anyone have experience with Imperial brand and know how lofty it is and/or if stretching it is a good/bad idea?

LL,

No experience with Imperial brand.

Was wondering if you considered using the graphite gasket in 5/8", it maybe less compressionable. I could not fathom a reason why graphite would be contraindicated.

I would be slightly concerned with stretching the larger diameter, and then when you get to the corners, not being able to stretch it , thus getting a buildup in thickness at the corners.

What about getting the Rutland thru the mail from a different vendor?

The Rutland 5/8" rope I tried was called Grapho-Glas.
http://www.rutland.com/productinfo/stove-gasket-kits.html

I had mentioned to the wife how the OEM gasket was thicker/denser than the Rutland stuff. She had an inquiry in with a RSF dealer to get replacement refractory and rope gasket. When the dealer called her back, she mentioned how the OEM gasket lasted so much longer and could we expect the same for what he would sell as OEM. The dealer said the OEM gasket on the older model was 3/4", not 5/8" and that they later changed to 5/8".

I guess I will give the Imperial 3/4" rope a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.