yet another pellet ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfgmt

Feb 22, 2010
maine
About how many types of pellets did you try till you found the right ones the weather is changing and I'm getting blasted out of the house but I need to run the ones in the hopper out before I put another in and each one burns different I would like to burn barefoot next winter but I need to put them in and call Englander to help me set the stove up for them,If they can or at least tell me if it is a pellet or a stove problem. And thanks for answering all my stupid questions.

Well, I've tried 8 and have 3 that'd I'd burn, shortly I'll try the latest recipe of Maine Wood Products, would love to be able to keep the money in this state if possible.

The three currently on my list are made in Quebec, British Columbia, and Pennsylvania.

bfgmt,

Personally I hold the current record for most pellet brands tried in one season. Here are the results on my test's(as always YMMV).

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51871/P22/#602652

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/47828/P22/#584577

Somewhere close to 50 different brands posted(and a few I didn't bother to post). Not including the grass and coffee pellets I also tested either.

My motto is one can never try enough until you've tried them all! But that might just be me! :) :lol: :cheese: ;-)

Happy testing!
jay

I probably haven't burned nearly as many as some others, I'd put it around 6-7 different brands. Last season I burned Premiers from TSC which I liked, then when I ran out I got a brand from Agway (can't remember the name) and honestly don't remember much about them. I also tried, last season, a brand called Marketing and Manufacturing LTD out of Mass, lots of ash but decent heat-they got me through the season. I then bought 4 tons of Maine Woods which I have been burning this season, again lots of ash but the price was right, $229/ton. At the end of last season, here in Southern VT we had a pellet plant open up and I finaly got to try a few bags of them in the past month or so. I love these pellets, Vermont Wood Pellet Co. Great heat, low ash and fines-actually extremely low ash and they smell great. Fresh cut pine, these are the pellets that I will be burning from now on. There may be some better out there but I too want to support local business and if there are better pellets I can't imagine they would be MUCH better. Their price is perfect ton, $239/ton now and not sure if they will be doing a spring pre buy.

I just scooped some out (I hope that is ok to do) I already know the green team pellets burn ok and I am going to keep the 3 unopened bags I have to use in the fall but I still had a half full hopper and I want to put the barefoots in to see how they burn!! the only thing I have put in so far is big box pellets. I can always put the green teams back in after the bearfoots are gone to use on those chilly nights we will still have for another month or so.I just want to make sure the barefoots are the right pellets for my stove so i can buy a ton within the next week or so to start stocking up for next winter.

Tried 5 so far, ain't found the right ones yet. Best I've found, mill exploded last fall, don't know if I'll ever get 'em again. Woe is me

hossthehermit said:
Tried 5 so far, ain't found the right ones yet. Best I've found, mill exploded last fall, don't know if I'll ever get 'em again. Woe is me

Hang in there hoss, they'll be back on line soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.