Yet, another question about burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Planeweird

Sep 29, 2008
cincinnati, oh
So, I've gathered that the Jotul F 3 CB is NOT really an "overnight" burner. BUT I'm curious about everyone's realistic burn times. I'm in Ohio and will have my choice of mixed hardwoods. I imagine I will attempt to burn the "softer" woods while awake and will use normal splits for this. What I'm wondering is what do you think of having a separate cache of seasoned oak rounds for the last fire of the night. If I load her up with oak rounds instead of splits before bed, what do you all think I can expect for a burn? Chimney is 30 ft but I will be putting a damper valve inline. I don't want to get into the habit of "smoldering" overnight and building creosote, unless it will balance out with a hot morning fire to burn the deposits up. Does this sound logical?
Even with this thought process, what do you think is realistic?

Thanks everyone. I hate feeling like I ask silly questions but there is so much information here(and I'm a research geek) that I can't get to all of it.

Someone call me? :lol: Absolutely have your best for the long night burns. I go thru a progression of what is the longest burning depending on the temp and what season I am in. Give it time, you will have the sickness as well...

If you get a good fire going and choke it down you definitely should have coals after say 9 hours if you have a decent sized firebox. Mine is something like 2.3 cu ft.

burntime said:
If you get a good fire going and choke it down you definitely should have coals after say 9 hours if you have a decent sized firebox. Mine is something like 2.3 cu ft.

Ain't gonna happen with the F3 with a less than 2 cf firebox. After six hours you can dig around and find something glowing but it won't be something that is keeping you warm or that will start a fire.

With that thirty foot chimney figure on five hours. And packing that lil sucker ain't easy after you have the first course of wood packed in the back. Others may have performed miracles with it but I haven't.

Thats why I put the firebox thing in, don't know all the jotuls...

F3CB=~1 cu ft, F400=~1.5cu ft, F500=~2.cu ft, F600=~3cu ft.

Better to compare a Hampton HI300 to an Oslo (F500) for burn times.

Planeweird said:
So, I've gathered that the Jotul F 3 CB is NOT really an "overnight" burner. BUT I'm curious about everyone's realistic burn times. I'm in Ohio and will have my choice of mixed hardwoods. I imagine I will attempt to burn the "softer" woods while awake and will use normal splits for this. What I'm wondering is what do you think of having a separate cache of seasoned oak rounds for the last fire of the night. If I load her up with oak rounds instead of splits before bed, what do you all think I can expect for a burn? Chimney is 30 ft but I will be putting a damper valve inline. I don't want to get into the habit of "smoldering" overnight and building creosote, unless it will balance out with a hot morning fire to burn the deposits up. Does this sound logical?
Even with this thought process, what do you think is realistic?

Thanks everyone. I hate feeling like I ask silly questions but there is so much information here(and I'm a research geek) that I can't get to all of it.

Well, in reading for context, instead of reading for fire power :) , I have an opinion/answer to your question :p

I think that having a supply of seasoned hardwoods is an excellent idea. I learned to do the same thing this past winter. Warmer weather, burn the "garbaggee", when we froze for 2 months, I was glad I had the oak & maple ready to go. It makes a definite difference in your coal situation in the mornings.

Maybe if someone gets up during the night, they could throw a split in, or 2?

And I think your "hot burn" in the AM is on the money as well.

yes for overnight heat, the f3cb will not really get you to the morning. But with a filled firebox of oak, or sugarmaple for that matter (mixing species works best for me) there is definately some residual heat in the box and definatly some coals to get a fire going in the morning by just bunching up the coal in front of the startup damper and putting some splits right behind it. I load the firebox box as much as i can at about 1030PM and am up in the morning at about 5 am for work and the downstairs fo the house is about 700 sq ft is warm in about 1- 1.5 hrs. which is about when everyone else in the house gets up.
Also the other thing i have read on here in the past, the best way to get up in the middle of the night to load the stove is to have a bottle of water before you go to bed.

My opinion is if you want a consistant overnight burn of say 8 hours and enough coals to just throw on more splits, you need a 2.0 or larger fire box for non cat stoves or need to tweak the air mechanism since you have that tall chimney. A cat stove will do a little better in the overnight burns with smaller fireboxes, I measured my "useable" firebox in my Fireview and it turned out to about 1.8 cu ft and I have no problem with 12 hour burns.

you need a bigger stove

Last season I got as much as 10 hrs out of my little non-cat 1.8 cf firebox. That was with a nice bed of coals, then cramming as much dry red oak in there I I possibly could. This would leave enough coals in the morning to get the fire going again without the use of kindling.

The 10 hr burn time only happend two or three times. Most other times it was an average of 8-9 hrs.

I can't complain about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.