Yet another question about Pacific Energy T5 Baffle/Heat Shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing a mid-season clean of our T5 today, and when I had the pipes off, I took a look at the exhaust opening on top of the stove. I saw the familiar bolt on the heat shield sticking out, and also noticed a notch in the opening. I lifted the bolt and it seated nicely in the notch, and lifted the heat shield. Now I am wondering if it was meant to be that way all along. As always, and help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 652
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 666
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 621
Have you noted a change in how it burns since moving it?

I never knew about this and now I'm wondering if it's setup correctly in my Super 27. I don't remember seeing it when I set it up and don't recall reading anything about it in the manual. What is the purpose of it? Is it so flames don't get sucked up into the pipe?

Looked in the manual and as I suspected, there is no mention of the flame shield except for in the parts diagram. You'd think they would add a sentence some where stating that the nut on flame shield should be properly installed into the slot. I don't remember seeing it like that when I set mine up so I'm willing to bet it's not set properly. What would the negative affects of burning without it set be? Very interested to find out if anything changed in the way the OP's stove burned after the fix.

You now have it right, with the bolt in the notch. These bolts are tightened down at the factory, but it's a long semi ride between Cobblle Hill, BC and Western Mass, and your bolt might have vibrated loose in transit. Expansion and contraction of the metal as it heated and cooled may have finished the job, which would explain why nobody at your end noticed the plate was loose during the install process. Now that you've got it back in place, you're good to go.

Thanks for the confirmation Tom. I agree that this should be mentioned in the docs. We had another person ask about the flame shield with a Summit (?) earlier this season.

Ok, you guys had me curious so I pulled the screws and slid my pipe up and my flame shield was where it was supposed to be. Guess mine didn't come loose when it was shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.