Yet another storage tank thread...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownianHeatingTech

Minister of Fire
Just got off the phone with a helpful gentleman at Rhino Linings Industrial. I described the needs of a storage tank liner, including the operating temperature range, the ability to withstand deflection of the tank walls, and the need for chemical stability to avoid corroding the heat exchangers, or killing the residents with some gas.

Seems they have a product which is well-suited to the application. According to the gentleman I talked to, the 175 is listed as a conservative number, and the product will easily withstand regular service up to 185-190, and won't fail during a boil-over situation, as long as that is not a regular occurrence.

Only issue is the cost, which is not low, at least in this area. I assume it will vary depending on where you are located, and who the local applicator is, since Rhino doesn't set pricing. I'm going to keep checking around and see if any of the mobile truck bedliner applicators can order the Hi-Chem 65D-PW and apply it, or if their equipment or contract doesn't allow them to do so (not sure if the industrial line is available to them, or if it requires special equipment).

Joe

I should also mention that they said it will bond to polyisocyanurate foam insulation without issues, although the joints between the panels should be taped to keep the foam from shifting during application.

Also that it is not compatible with silicone compounds, so don't try to use silicone caulking instead of tape.

Joe

Joe
Great info,thanks for the research.I too am planning a tank soon,My latest plan is for a round tank with a galvanized steel wall and a liner,I was planning to use EPDM but this might be even better.I do have a rather tight budget,any ballpark on pricing.7 foot diam. by 4 foot tall is my plan

A Chevy s-10 p/u bed was $350.00 dollars in 2002 . This is great news though, I looked it up on-line and all I could find was the 175* but 190* would be great.

NHFarmer said:
Joe
Great info,thanks for the research.I too am planning a tank soon,My latest plan is for a round tank with a galvanized steel wall and a liner,I was planning to use EPDM but this might be even better.I do have a rather tight budget,any ballpark on pricing.7 foot diam. by 4 foot tall is my plan

Same exact size I had in mind, although I haven't given any thought to construction yet (not much anyway).

I am planning to use "cattle panels" $20 each at Tractor supply.They are 58 inches x 16 feet long.I will use 2 of them wrapped into a 7 foot diam.loop.The inside will be G90 galvanized 26 gauge steel,then some type of liner.I was planning to use EPDM but now I am not sure.

Does look like interesting stuff, though probably not cheap, or suitable for the DIY applicator judging by the specs on required PPE, and the equipment listed as required - however it does sound like it would work well for the right type of tank setup... Might also try seeing if there are any swimming pool places that could put it on, seeing as how that seems to be a market they are aiming at, judging by the pictures...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.