Yet another stove-lighting thread...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbob

Minister of Fire
My method is a bit different, because I don't use kindling.
Stove is a P.E. Summit freestanding, but any stove who's firebox is as deep as it is wide should be able to use this method.
Times may vary, depending on the type of wood, and the amount of chimmney draft. This way of lighting it works for me just about every time.

First I start with a log.

Attachments

• Start with a log.JPG
    Start with a log.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,092
...Then another one along the other side.
Then tear up some cardboard.

Attachments

• Tear up some cardboard.JPG
    Tear up some cardboard.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 1,036
Put the cardboard in place, topped up with some newspaper. Then add a couple of peices across the two original logs, forming a bridge...

Attachments

• Add 2 cross pieces.JPG
    Add 2 cross pieces.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,057
Add more pieces front to back, notice they are not exactly kindling. Looks like Tamarack and Poplar right now, and maybe a piece of ash. There is a total of 9 pieces in there.
Light 'er up!

Attachments

• Lit..JPG
    Lit..JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,085
After about 2 minutes, close door this far...

Attachments

• Door stays open this much while waiting for logs to catch..JPG
    Door stays open this much while waiting for logs to catch..JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,057
Door is still open after 7 minutes from time stove was first lit. Note the plastic bottle on stove, showing top is still fairly cool.

Attachments

• 7 minutes after lighting..JPG
    7 minutes after lighting..JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,060
A couple more minutes have passed, time to latch the door, 9 minutes after being lit.

Attachments

• Door closed after 9 minutes.JPG
    Door closed after 9 minutes.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,055
11 minutes after being lit, pop bottle is no longer sitting on top of stove. Surface-mount pipe thermometer shows 450 F.

Attachments

• 11 minutes after lighting.JPG
    11 minutes after lighting.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,028
Fire has been going for a total of 18 minutes now, time to turn it down...

Attachments

• 18 minutes, time to turn it down..JPG
    18 minutes, time to turn it down..JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,064
29 minutes: Pipe temp @ 500F, Stove top thermometer shows 625F.
36 minutes: Blower control kicks on.
60 minutes: Pipe temp @ 525F, stove top @ 800F.
1H 8M Turned draft all the way down.
1H 20 mins: Pipe temp now @ 465F, top up to 825F.
1H 30 mins: Pipe temp @ 300F, top temp settles down to 575.
2H 50 mins: Pipe temp @225F, top @450. Would be time to load 'er up if needed, but not necessary tonight.

Naaaa, its a SUMMIT. They use those to kick start Nuke plants. :p

I will admit, I don't like to see ANYTHING over 800 on the stove top, but have got there a couple of times by accident. I usually try to keep 650 or less. Maybe hit 700 plus on startup, then let her settle in.

Not just you - I get nervous when the needle creeps a hair above 600F..

tutu_sue said:

yep but only when the pipe starts crackling :eek:hh:

Jimbob said:
29 minutes: Pipe temp @ 500F, Stove top thermometer shows 625F.
36 minutes: Blower control kicks on.
60 minutes: Pipe temp @ 525F, stove top @ 800F.
1H 8M Turned draft all the way down.
1H 20 mins: Pipe temp now @ 465F, top up to 825F.
1H 30 mins: Pipe temp @ 300F, top temp settles down to 575.
2H 50 mins: Pipe temp @225F, top @450. Would be time to load 'er up if needed, but not necessary tonight.

That is about what I was thinking on my first read through... "If I had 7+ splits in my stove at one time, that sucker would hit 800F +" If this works for your situation, then by all means, go for it. I think most will regard the 800F region as 'getting a little hot'. Due to my set-up (a lot of space to heat, but little thermal mass) I have to run my stove at more moderate temps for longer times to get a more even heat.

Corey

tutu_sue said:

Sue, I wouldn't get nervous until the stove gets over 750-800. When burning fir we had the F3 regularly up to 700 with no ill effect.

Kewl. If I'm ever in an emergency heating situation, I now know I can push her a little bit. Thank you for peace of mind BeGreen. :)

I only run the stove pipe @ 625 or so when first lighting the stove, and just after a fresh re-load for 10 or 20 minutes, then I turn it down so the pipe stays just over 500.

The stove top runs about 800 with the control lever 1" from the lowest setting, measured at the outer end of the lever, turning it right down seems to keep the top @ about 600 or so. I just started with the stove top thermometer, so these temps may vary as we make our way into the heating season. I should also note I keep the thermometer on the hottest part of the top.

That 3 hr. burn time was just on that first small load of wood.
When I re-load onto a big bed of coals, I fill the firebox right up and let it burn on high for about 5 munutes, then turn it down. Doing this gets me a burn time closer to what it should be. Most of the wood I burn is fairly soft, so I won't get the LONG burn times you people further east would get.:)

The main intent of this thread was to illustrate a way to start a fire without kindling or store-bought firestarters, then I got side-tracked.

jimbob,

i searched unsuccessfully, but was curious if you have ever compared temperatures of your stovetop and upper door corner on your freestanding summit. I am curious as a T6 user, and after reading the the summit insert users experiences with various door front temperatures wondered how that compared to the stovetop. Especially this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/5506/ from the past.

thanks

This is basically the method that I use, except I have andirons that take the place of the two NS splits and instead of cardboard, I use stringies that I pull off the splits.
It works great for me most of the time. If the stove has been cleaned out, I need a little kindling to get it going. Having a little ash in there seems to make a big difference.

Madison, I hadn't really checked front corner temps before, But as our Summit works it's way through a load of Poplar right now, the readings I have;
Stack. 460
Top 550
Front. 525

All temps are in F. Stack temp is a surface reading taken 18" from flue collar.
Top temp it taken slightly ahead of and to the left of the flue exit.
Front temp is from upper L.H. corner above door.

Now the front corners are down to about 475-480, with the L.H. one being the warmer one.
Much of the top is around 480 although there is a spot at about 525 deg. F. about 4" diagonally in from the left front corner.
Stack has settled down to 365 F.

jimbob,

Thanks for the effort and info, very interesting, especially the hotspot.... I have been interested in the coorelation of stove top to door temps, as there have been a couple of summit insert temp threads which are door front temp readings, and as a new t6 user, i'm always looking for info on burning the big box PE stoves.

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.