Yet another tree ID...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
The handyman I occasionally buy assorted wood from dropped off a pile of this today. Insists it's hickory. I don't believe him.

Good news is it splits if I so much as say the word "maul" within 5 yards of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 355
Fixed it... pics didn't wanna upload & had to resize.

The smooth bark fooled me- I thought hickory bark was shaggy?

Looks like one of the soft maples to me. Hickory around here would have much deeper furrows in bark at that size.

If it is a maple, my guess would be Norway. The second & third pictures aren't much help.
Hickory takes a while to get the cracks in the bark. Dug a young one from my uncles farm & planted
It at my parents place 20 years ago. Still hasn't developed the cracks in the bark yet. Bark from the
Tree looks like the first picture. Shagbark hickory has the real curly bark when it matures.
The more I look at it, I kind of want to say Norway Maple...tough call!

Pignut would be my guess too.

Cut some young down hickory today and that's what the bark looks like higher up on the tree... Mine was shagbark.

Looks like hickory to me. Not the shagbark that I have, so must be pignut or Bitternut, or whatever the other guys are telling you. If it's hickory it should be pretty heavy, even in a hand sized split.

I also would've assumed hickory would be a lot harder to split? I just tap this with the maul and POW.

bluedogz said:
I also would've assumed hickory would be a lot harder to split? I just tap this with the maul and POW.
Mine usually splits pretty easy. On the electric splitter it's strange, there with be a fraction of a second when it will strain and then POW, it all breaks free at once and shoots the pieces out several feet.

Sometimes I'll have some that is just extraordinarily stringy, kinda like elm, it it just pulls apart, or I take another whack at the strings with the maul or fiskars.

Looks just like the pignut hickories I have in my yard.

Danno77 said:
bluedogz said:
Mine usually splits pretty easy. On the electric splitter it's strange, there with be a fraction of a second when it will strain and then POW, it all breaks free at once and shoots the pieces out several feet.

Sometimes I'll have some that is just extraordinarily stringy, kinda like elm, it it just pulls apart, or I take another whack at the strings with the maul or fiskars.

Trunk is stringy and the limbs are cake.

Hickory! No doubts here.

bluedogz said:
The smooth bark fooled me- I thought hickory bark was shaggy?

The bark is indeed shaggy.....but only on the shagbark hickory and not the pignut.

Sure looks like the branches of the shagbark I got. The trunk will have shaggy bark. The branches were smooth like that.

Mine - however is a BEAR to split.

How's it smell? Hickory will smell like ...... hickory.

basswidow said:
Sure looks like the branches of the shagbark I got. The trunk will have shaggy bark. The branches were smooth like that.

Mine - however is a BEAR to split.

How's it smell? Hickory will smell like ...... hickory.
Yeah, you are right on the branches being smooth. I guess I forgot that these were all delivered, so we don't know if he has a thin trunk or the tops...

Status
Not open for further replies.