Yet another wall clearance question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Mark

Oct 12, 2008
Western CT
I've been lurking here for about 6 months. Great forum! :)

Finally bought a stove...a Jotul F3 CB. I have installed the chimney pipe and am just about ready to put the stove in. I want to put the stove as close to the wall as possible so I re-framed the wall behind the hearth with 4" metal studs. I insulated with fireproof insulation and used 1/2 inch durock to close it up. I have read page 10 of this manual a hundred times and I'm still confused. I called the place that sold me the stove and they weren't sure when they read the manual! So, I'm at my wits end. HELP! I am using the rear exit. I have the wall thimble with the class A chimney. The first 4 1/2 inches of the wall are non combustible material. I plan to add another 3/8 inch of tile. Thanks in advance!

The manual is on this page and the wall clearance is noted on page 12 of the manual.

http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-stoves/Jotul-F-3-CB/

Mark, how are you installing the stove? Will it have a rear exit or top exit flue connection? Will it have the rear heat shield and use double-wall connector pipe?

I'll go on the assumption that you have the rear heat shield and are going with top exit/double wall pipe for the closest to the wall installation. If so, I think you are fine. The manual allows for 10" if the stove has the rear heat shield, top exit into double-wall pipe. You can put the stove 6" from the wall because, if I understand your installation correctly, the nearest combustible is on the backside of the metal studs, or 4 3/8" in from the wall surface. If the stove is 6" from the wall it is 10" from the nearest combustible. You can't go closer than 6" because that's the limit for the double wall pipe.

Clear this with your inspector first and take pictures to document the behind the wall construction, but I think you are fine for 6" as long as the insulation doesn't have any combustible component like a paper backing.

He said he's using the rear exit...that's gonna make it tough to close that rear wall clearance up, I'd think, just from a piping connection (physical vs. thermal) standpoint. But maybe not. Rick

If I am reading the table correctly, NPFA allows a 50% clearance reduction for this type of wall. If so, 50% of 14" (rear vent) should be 7" to combustibles. But given that in this case that would place the stove 3" from the wall I would think the 6" from the wall for the double-wall pipe should rule, no?

Aw c'mon. Surely that deserves a Hearth.com hat!

Webmaster said:
CT Mark said:
I've been lurking here for about 6 months. Great forum! :)

DING DING DING DING

CT Mark IS THE 10,000th registered member of the forum!

Unfortunately, there is not prize - but thanks to all.

WOW! I am honored! I feel like lottery winner....just without the money and stuff. :)

BeGreen said:
If I am reading the table correctly, NPFA allows a 50% clearance reduction for this type of wall. If so, 50% of 14" (rear vent) should be 7" to combustibles. But given that in this case that would place the stove 3" from the wall I would think the 6" from the wall for the double-wall pipe should rule, no?

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this. I'd like to do 6" with double-wall pipe if I can because of an existing hearth. BUT, I don't want to set myself up for trouble (with the insurance company) if there's ever a problem. Again, any help is appreciated.

The best thing to do is confirm it with your inspector. Once he signs off on it, you should be golden with the insurance company.

BeGreen said:
The best thing to do is confirm it with your inspector. Once he signs off on it, you should be golden with the insurance company.

My local building inspector told me to go by the manual. :-S

Ultimately it's not what we say, it's their say that counts. In our jurisdiction the building inspector doesn't do the mechanicals inspection. That's what our stove is covered under. Is it the building inspector in your area?

I would print up documentation and picture evidence of your case. It seems like you are fine. I'll attach a copy of the NFPA table for you to print up too. Highlight table 12.6.2.1, line (b).

Attachments

• NFPA 211 clearance table.jpg
    NFPA 211 clearance table.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 361
Good Evening,
Please do yourself a favor and call your local building or fire inspector. Remember NFPA is a RECCOMONDATION ONLY. Although the ICC code refers to it throughout the fire code they are very clear when it comes to the installation of solid fuel burning appliances. Further, your local folks may have adopted a MRL or ( more restictive law) when it comes to these appliances.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.