Yet another what stove to look for question :/

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tekguy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2009
west mass
I bought a new Englander stove works 13-nc on a whim so to say a couple years back with a plan that I would start cutting and stacking wood for a couple years before I start burning (i got a great deal)

Anyways that stove is too small for my purposes and I want to sell it/trade it - for something else. I am in process of remodeling and doing the install. I have most everything to complete my 6" flue.

I see a lot of good reviews on the NC30 but have also seen a few people complaining of runaways, Question is in that price range new and used (say 500-1200) which stoves should I look for? I always wanted a VC Defiant with glass doors as there seems to be a steady supply of those for sale, whats a enameled model 1910 worth in good shape? I know you cant burn with the doors open on them with a 6" flue but I dont plan on it. What should I ask for the 13-nc, new never fired? What other stoves should I look for? I will heat a semi drafty 2000 square foot house.

If you like the Defiant i would also look at the VC Encore. Lots of issues with those stoves but if it can be delt with properly you can make them a great stove.

I wish you were closer I would take that 13 off your hands. I plan to buy one very soon unless the tax man treats me right then I might go with a woodstock or bk sirocco but I dont think Im gonna spend that much money

If you like the Defiant i would also look at the VC Encore. Lots of issues with those stoves but if it can be delt with properly you can make them a great stove.
I am really open to anything, I dont have 3-4K to spend on a new stove of my choice at this time, the defiant I was looking at was a 99 model year that was only used occasionally (looks near new), I like that style stove but dont have a preference, I have read complaints about VC stoves but if I understand right was that just new stoves? anyways thanks for the input and any input is appreciated, like to get a short list of stoves I should keep an eye out for started

thanks much!

NC 30, VC Encore, maybe a used Jotul or Woodstock from Craig's List if you get lucky...Woodstock worth considering a used Fireview (rated slightly less than 2000, depends on your layout and windows, exposure, draft etc, but they heat well).The well built stoves are worth buying used, as they really will last a lifetime if not abused.

Sure you'll get lots of good suggestions here.

Good luck in your search.

The runaways in the 30 are possibly from, turning your back on the stove and really long chimneys. That will happen to any stove. So don't let that spoil your decision. The 30 is an awesome stove! If the 13 did decent for ya, the 30 will reeeeeeealy do well for ya! I am basing this on firebox size as i dont know the 13 but parents have the 30. If the 30 fits, use it!

The 13nc is already 1.8 cf, so you probably want to skip the other medium size stoves even in the 2.2 cf range. In this price range, I think I'd reconsider the 30NC. A lot of people here simply love them and runaways can happen with any stove, as mentioned above. Just a matter of learning the stove.

NC 30, VC Encore, maybe a used Jotul or Woodstock from Craig's List if you get lucky...Woodstock worth considering a used Fireview (rated slightly less than 2000, depends on your layout and windows, exposure, draft etc, but they heat well).The well built stoves are worth buying used, as they really will last a lifetime if not abused.

Sure you'll get lots of good suggestions here.

Good luck in your search.

there are a couple older Woodstock Fireviews for sale, from the 80's I think, do these have a big firebox? what do you look for in a used soapstone stove?

The 13nc is already 1.8 cf, so you probably want to skip the other medium size stoves even in the 2.2 cf range. In this price range, I think I'd reconsider the 30NC. A lot of people here simply love them and runaways can happen with any stove, as mentioned above. Just a matter of learning the stove.
Yes, I should have said that in first post, I want a larger firebox in the 3cf zone

if anyone has a stove sitting around that may fit my bill and needs a 13-nc, we might be able to work something out, cough cough

which VC defiants and encores have issues? all the epa ones or just certain years after the sale??

what is a appropriate flue length for the 30NC?

Just be sure a used soapstone stove doesn't look as if it has been abused. The used Woodstocks are easy and inexpensive to refurbish.

Firebox is about 2.2 cu feet. Stove does a remarkable job of heating for the firebox size. Look at the hearth.com reviews, and you'll get an idea of the size home people experience this stove heating successfully.

I think the really early 80s Fireviews were not cat stoves...check with the sellers whether the stoves are catalytic. Several members of the Forum have rebuilt older Fireviews, and have reported little trouble or cost getting their used stoves in excellent shape, and also have reported very good cooperation and assistance from Woodstock in the process, with sale of necessary parts at very reasonable rates. Woodstock also sells rebuilt stoves from time to time...which I would expect would come with their warranty....I have no idea what they charge for them, but you could call and ask them about usual availability (probably in the Spring and summer) and cost. If you wanted a Woodstock, and saw one you wanted at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate as long as there was no evidence of abuse of the stove. Don't think there would be much involved in refurbishing, if the stove needed that.

If you want a soapstone stove, the used route is much more affordable.

On the other hand, a new 30NC will cost you less, and be an easy install. I don't know but believe it uses a 6 inch flue.
There are good stoves available. Don't spend more than you can afford. You can get a good stove in various price ranges
and can sometimes find reallly good prices for good used stoves at this time of year. Just make sure you check any used stove really well before you buy it.

Seeing the 30NC at Home Depot for $899, looking around I noticed the Drolet HT2000 about $350 more delivered, the HT2000 looks like a nicer stove are there many users here? would it be worth the extra $$$?

man there seem to be a lot of sub-par cheap stoves out there

Are there any good inexpensive cat stoves out there? moer I learn the more I like blaze king stoves but they are out of my price range for-sure

Status
Not open for further replies.