Yet another wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamess67

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2007
Central Illinois
Ok guys I know this is getting old but please help me with this one.

Attachments

• 100_2386.JPG
    100_2386.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 434
  • 100_2387.JPG
    100_2387.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 433
walnut?

Looks like walnut to me too. Split a piece and post a pic.

Looks like black walnut to me. Remember all the qualities, including the smell, for next time.

Risser09 said:
Looks like black walnut to me. Remember all the qualities, including the smell, for next time.
Black Walnut = Smell like Sh!t...

smells kinda yucky and has a slimy feel to it under the bark.

Walnut smells like big money to me.

Why is it that some folks dont like to burn walnut?

I think it is just because of the smell. I used to sell a few walnut logs and if you got some good ones, well, let's just say we made a few dollars on them. The biggest problem though was that most walnut trees were in old fencerows. That means there will be hardware in them which is tough on the saws at the mill. You have to be very careful on those things.

I have been burning mostly black walnut for the last two heating seasons and most of this one too. That looks like bl. walnut. It yields about 20.2 million btu per cord. (http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm). It seems to like to hold water if the splits are too big so if you split big do it now to give it time to dry out for next season.

looks even more like walnut now, just split some myself. I dont mind the smell, beats the hell out of oak.

Thanks for the help guys. I dont split very big so I should be good for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.