Yet more Fiskars splitting axe questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fiskars Super Splitting Axes.
Found this Super Splitting Axe (36") locally
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Axes-and-Mauls/Super-Splitting-Axe-36

Now we have the X27 Super Splitting Axe (36") that everyone talks about
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Axes-and-Mauls/X27-Super-Splitting-Axe-36

The only difference I could find was : Textured non-slip grip reduces hand strain and improves control

1st question is : Do any of you have the non Textured non-slip grip model?
2nd question is : Do I need this Textured non-slip grip ?
Thanks for your feedback

IMO I think the non-textured grip would be better and is what I have. I get all the required grip I need from my gloves and also prefer that my hands slide at least in the up and behind phase of my swing. I have the X27 Super Splitter. Perhaps others have a different opinion but I like mine just like it is - No Textured grip for me.

Looked at the pictures and being the snob that I can be think the X27 looks nicer:)

Have no experience with the 36" but I absolutely love the X27!

mine is smooth. use cheapo gardening gloves to split with. plenty of texture. no hand strain. i agree about wanting to slide your hand down on the handle while splitting.

IMO I think the non-textured grip would be better and is what I have. I get all the required grip I need from my gloves and also prefer that my hands slide at least in the up and behind phase of my swing. I have the X27 Super Splitter. Perhaps others have a different opinion but I like mine just like it is - No Textured grip for me.
The X27 is the one with the textured grip; it is only faintly textured and the texture is only the orange part at the bottom, the rest of the handle is smooth. The very first X-27's had smooth grip (even on the orange), my brother has one like that. The more recent X-27's have a light texture on the orange.

Having had an old-school Fiskars super-splitting axe, made long before the X-series even came out and no longer available now, I think I know why they made the grip textured on these. The old-school SSA had a slightly different handle design, when they changed to the X-27 design the "hook" at the bottom hurt my hand and the axe would always slide in my bottom hand until it was pressed up against that "hook". I think this texture was added to help resolve some of those complaints.

Either way, I shall know soon how the texture feels. I just got an X-27 as a replacement for my old-school 7854 SSA that had developed cracks in the handle near the head.

The X27 is the one with the textured grip; it is only faintly textured and the texture is only the orange part at the bottom, the rest of the handle is smooth. The very first X-27's had smooth grip (even on the orange), my brother has one like that. The more recent X-27's have a light texture on the orange.
I bought both an X27 and an X15 within the last 3-4 months and noticed the opposite--the black part of the handle has a subtle sandpaper texture while the orange part is smooth. The orange part grips well even though it's smoother because has a tacky feel and it's soft enough to dent with your fingernail. Also, the size of the orange section on the X27 is pretty much ideal. The part near the hook where the orange goes all the way around is the right size to accommodate one hand, and the part where the orange covers just the underside fits the other hand if you should want to put it there. I don't keep my hands together when I swing but that's not a problem because it's easy to slide the upper hand along the handle however you want--the texture on the black plastic doesn't interfere with that.

I bought both an X27 and an X15 within the last 3-4 months and noticed the opposite--the black part of the handle has a subtle sandpaper texture while the orange part is smooth. The orange part grips well even though it's smoother because has a tacky feel and it's soft enough to dent with your fingernail. Also, the size of the orange section on the X27 is pretty much ideal. The part near the hook where the orange goes all the way around is the right size to accommodate one hand, and the part where the orange covers just the underside fits the other hand if you should want to put it there. I don't keep my hands together when I swing but that's not a problem because it's easy to slide the upper hand along the handle however you want--the texture on the black plastic doesn't interfere with that.
You must have purchased an older model (new old stock or something). New models of X-27 most DEFINITELY have the orange part of the handle textured, see attached photo. Regarding the "texture" of which you speak on the black, that is the natural surface finish of glass-filled nylon (the handle material of the X-series axes). This "texture" isn't really a "texture" at all, it's just a slight roughness left by the glass fibers in the nylon when they are injection molded. While it may seem like a textured surface I don't believe it would be "textured" in the context of this conversation. To me, in this context, "textured" mean an intentional changing or roughness of the surface and that isn't the case.

Attachments

• DSCN9951.JPG
    DSCN9951.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 253
You must have purchased an older model (new old stock or something). New models of X-27 most DEFINITELY have the orange part of the handle textured, see attached photo. Regarding the "texture" of which you speak on the black, that is the natural surface finish of glass-filled nylon (the handle material of the X-series axes). This "texture" isn't really a "texture" at all, it's just a slight roughness left by the glass fibers in the nylon when they are injection molded. While it may seem like a textured surface I don't believe it would be "textured" in the context of this conversation. To me, in this context, "textured" mean an intentional changing or roughness of the surface and that isn't the case.
Yep, that's most definitely not what I have. I'm curious now how the new grip compares. I never had a problem with the smooth one but then again I always use gloves when I split...
X27Handle.jpg

I've never had a problem splitting without gloves and the old handle. Love it. It's Light enough to hold kinda like a hockey stick when I put pine splits in a tire to make kindling and fatwood.

Yep, that's most definitely not what I have. I'm curious now how the new grip compares. I never had a problem with the smooth one but then again I always use gloves when I split...
View attachment 171650
Yeah, that one looks like my brother's X-27. Fiskars is definitely improving the product line. My original "super splitting axe" which preceded the X-series axes was nothing more than a black glass-filled nylon handle with the bottom 10 inches painted orange.

With the X-series came the orange, soft, "grippy" material, and now they've textured that grippy material. I'll let you know how this one compares. It may be a while before I get to it, I'll be working 80 hr weeks for this entire month.

Status
Not open for further replies.