york insert keeps jamming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Lounsbury

Jan 7, 2010
Middle NY
I have a york pellet insert stove. I'm using cleanfire pellets and the auger keeps jamming up. I try to minimize the fines and clean the unit fully once a week. Any suggestions.

york insert said:
I have a york pellet insert stove. I'm using cleanfire pellets and the auger keeps jamming up. I try to minimize the fines and clean the unit fully once a week. Any suggestions.

I have a york insert and it runs 24/7. But, it stops dead if I don't sift every bag of pellets to hold down the fines. I built a sifter from ferring strip ,1/4 inch chicken wire, and cardboard. Cost me $10. I sift about 12 bags at a time into bulk containers I bought at Walmart. Takes me about 15 minutes a week to sift. Takes a lot more time to clear a jam. The York takes care of my whole house, so fifteen minutes a week for sifting is not a big deal.

york insert said:

Welcome to the forum York Insert. Interesting that you have a problem with CleanFires.....I have them, and they are one of the brands that don't have many fines. What brand did you use before? Did the jamming start immediately after you started burning the CleanFires?

I use a vacuum pellet sifter to clean mine. Rather take 3 minutes to do this than have to take the stove apart later:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23999

My stove is sensitive to fines as well. Either use pellets that have very low fines or sift the ones that do not. Your choices are pretty limited. I am burning Greene Team this year with very low fines and I have not had any jams.

macman

I was using New England pellets for 2 years and then It became an issue to find them.So i changed to clean fire. Last year I had a few jams , but so far this year I have had more.

york insert said:
macman

I was using New England pellets for 2 years and then It became an issue to find them.So i changed to clean fire. Last year I had a few jams , but so far this year I have had more.

Shouldn't be any change in the way the pellets feed....Clean Fire hardwood are just NEWP bagged at their plant in NY for PelletSales.....same exact pellet.

That pellet vac is slick. Thanks for the link, mac.

Mr Fixit said:
That pellet vac is slick. Thanks for the link, mac.

Anything to help out my fellow pellet heads and pellet pigs :cheese:

macman said:
york insert said:

Welcome to the forum York Insert. Interesting that you have a problem with CleanFires.....I have them, and they are one of the brands that don't have many fines. What brand did you use before? Did the jamming start immediately after you started burning the CleanFires?

I use a vacuum pellet sifter to clean mine. Rather take 3 minutes to do this than have to take the stove apart later:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23999

Got a York insert, macman????? chill.... why do you care???????

Status
Not open for further replies.