York pellet insert whistling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kman

Dec 24, 2008
NW Ct.
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum! I've a st. croix york insert for a little under a year. The stove started shutting down and was whistling every 50 sec. (the whistle itself last for 10 sec, sounds like a little teapot) so i had it cleaned thinking that would solve the problem. The whistle persist! any ideas. Thanks, Kman

After cleaning is the stove running OK now? If so then the whistling you hear isn't related to the stove shutting down. I have a York too and I find the surround sometimes vibrates which could sound like a whistling sound. The other thing that vibrates on mine on occasion is the brass coiled handle to the lever that opens the glass door. I would start searching for things that vibrate, not just on the stove, but nearby in the room.

JB

Kman, my York has never had your problem, but I would think a whistling sound is caused by air rushing across an obstruction or leak that wasn't their until recently. Perhaps, something on the intake side is now blocking a portion of the air that rushes across it causing a whistling sound or you may have an air leak which would whistle and also cause your stove to shut down. Check for any gasket problems or try the dollar bill leak test around the gaskets. Just my 2cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.