You ain't going to believe this thing!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what the industry needs.
An other top notch down draft something .... I guess.
No Spillage at all
No stack required
Perfect for my backyard.
Impressive specification, but some information is missing.
I saw something similar, tough a little bit bigger that can handle an entire tree, roots, branches, leaves ... . LOL
Seems that we are back to square one, ... education needs to go on.
Sorry for being so negative, just got up.

Hahaha, that is neat!
Wouldn't it just piss you off to put too much wood into it and not be able to close the top. OR better yet, booger up the unit with a loader.

It does sort of solve the smoke in your face problem.

Would be a great money maker to cremate your friends with.
So many possibilities with new technology!

Where's the lambda sensor go??

cha-ching cha-ching $. That's way out there rural/ag/residential. I wonder which costs more the loader or the unit or do you get a loader with each unit?? (LOL) Let's see almost a cord every 6 to 12 days and (conservatively) 4.5 months to heat that is 11 to 22+/- cords per season. That's one big operation (for a big operation) done quickly though. Several leagues beyond where I am at but thanks for sharing. WOW!

I could stack a cord of wood in my fire box, we only use the bottom 25 %. We considered using a bobcat on the initial design. In practice it works better dump a pile by the OH door and roll them in or use the two wheeler. I know some off you gassers are rolling your eyes about now. If you got a serious load, then putting in 16" pieces isn't an option. They should call this thing a biomass burner, if it works like mine, it will burn any thing that grew pretty efficiently. Rolled a 30" long by 28" diameter-- round in last night, we call those a V.W. -- LOL Gota go warm up the boom truck, equipment on a roof today sucks to be me, not really in Michigan work is work, take what you can get

I'm not going to sh!t on this thing "till I learn more about it. They seemed to be a little stingy with the heat output and other specifics of the unit. If it works, it appears that it is aimed at users that have high loads. If they have found a way to get this thing to idle for days without gumming up, it would be great for me. I would only need to load it twice per heating season.

I dont expect to see if for sale in area that has emissions requirements.

Is 1.8m btu's an hour or a load? Presumably the former.

What size pipe would you need to move that much heat? 4"? or bigger.

So you could use a couple of cords.... a day.

I could see it could work if you had lots of nasty wood to get rid of some how and a big heat demand.

And a tractor.

Sorry everyone I have to accept complete & total responsibility for this !@#$%^&*() piece of !@#$%^&*()_ someone on my side of 49 must have listened to me tee off on some "my OWB burns cleaner than any gasser & is rated at 99% eff by the EPA" fool.

Probably read my statement about the "Canadian Campfire" ruling the world & putting all the OWB's to shame.

Then they went out & built the Canadian Campfire. Load with tractor size no less.

I gotta watch those statements in future, keep given some !@#$%^&*() fool ideas. Wonder what the folks at Herlt who spent decades developing their huge bale burning gassifiers think of this !@#$%^&*() kind of product.

Kind of sheds some light on why they are so hesitant to enter the North American market. I cant blame them for choosing to stay on the sidelines with this kind of product being approved for sale. Regulations anyone????

Bathroom is free now, excuse me while I go throw up. Darn I really enjoyed breakfast this morning too.

Apparently there is a problem with crematoria ovens not being big enough for the Super Size me generation, this could be a solution.

I think most of the water is in the tub,

Tree service I worked for over 15 years ago built one from scratch. The owner actually just had the top about two feet out the ground. He built a block building in the ground around the whole thing with a walk out door on the side. Pumps and everything were down in the block building. It had a metal roof that was raised up with the top lid as it lifted. He had metal grates over 2 inches thick in the bottom. Dropping wood in with a front end loader came to an end after the following things presented themselves. Dropping the wood in with a loader broke the grates. By not hand loading pieces, they got wedged into each other, sticking up preventing the top from closing. Next you got the big pry bar out and prayed you could move the wood as to close the top. If it took you more than a minute, guess what, now the flames are so big, the thin film on the hydraulic cylinders rams on each side that lifts the top are now on fire from the intense heat. So tractor loading came to an end. Looked good to load with the tractor, but in reality, it didn't work. If you did use the tractor, you couldn't fill it very far up. This stove the owner built would hold a cord of wood on a load. Can't beat loading it by hand. What an experience! This same guy built a double cylinder splitter out of the one used on the 53 foot dumps. This thing wood split logs over 12 foot long. He used his grapple loader to place the logs on the splitter bed. Talk about a scary noise , hearing the telescopic rams bushing thru that big meat. Was built on the back of an older F600 ford truck.

This just reminded me of a huge gasifier that Dick Hill had made for a Forest Service greenhouse in northern Maine. There were two units, each would hold about a half cord of wood. I got one of the units and sold it to a farmer.
The guys at the greenhouse hated the boilers because they were having to feed a LOT of wood into them to keep the greenhouses going, so they apparently used to try to break them.

Tom in Maine said:
This just reminded me of a huge gasifier that Dick Hill had made for a Forest Service greenhouse in northern Maine. There were two units, each would hold about a half cord of wood. I got one of the units and sold it to a farmer.
The guys at the greenhouse hated the boilers because they were having to feed a LOT of wood into them to keep the greenhouses going, so they apparently used to try to break them.

tax dollars at work.

Followed the live links at the bottom of the page, lead me to Portage & Main website.
Which if you scroll to the bottom of the Portage & Main website page tells you that it is copyright of Phelps Mechanical Ltd.
I have not done a search on that co. yet but my gut tells me they are a metal fabrication shop.
AFA the log boiler goes (what a name for a machine that is shown burning logs with green leaves on them) it would be nice to see some specs (how & with what it is built) to go along with the dimensions.
Might want to include eff#s/emmisions etc, etc based on a given load at a given MC. Which takes X hours to burn yielding X btu/hr etc, etc.
I guess I missed the info on how it gassifies the wood. Time for a re read.

I think it is just a giant OWB.

I can see a use for it, I just did a job out to a saw mill last week and they where using a large classic owb, it made a lot of smoke. They were constantly loading it and according to some of the guys working there it really did not heat much of the area they wanted heated. At least with this unit they could load it less and get more btu's out of it, they had plenty of scrap wood and a couple of loaders handy at any time. I watched the video of this thing burning and it really did not seem to give off much smoke, looking at the video it was by far a much cleaner burn then any owb I have seen. I would be more concerned that it would get wrecked with a loader really easy to do a lot of damage when you use equipment like that.

Steve

You have described a classic OWB operation

It would be no different in this unit, just more smoke as it has a bigger firebox.

Sheesh you guys are harsh!
We don't know nearly enough about how this beast operates to roundly vilify it! The video is kind of intriquing, clean burn and low stack temps. at least.... unless that guy is wearing an asbestos glove! :) To me it looks like a Seton on steroids more so than a standard OWB. I bet they have a swack of refractory mass in there but it would be interesting to know if and how a fan is involved.

One thing to note. They claim to be successfully heating numerous 20,000 sq. ft. facilities with these boilers and that is no small feat. Even the Garn has problems heating that capacity.

I wonder how you light that bugger?

[quote author="Como" date="1297032522"]You have described a classic OWB operation

It would be no different in this unit, just more smoke as it has a bigger firebox.[/quote

Yes you would think, however I did not see large amounts of smoke in the video but they made the video, and we really don't know much about this thing yet. I am willing to give it some slack, however I do know that a classic seems to make smoke that as soon as it gets pushed out of the stack it is heading to the ground as soon as it can, I like to refer to them as Smoke Dragons.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.