You ain't gonna believe what just happened to me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Random thoughts . . .

Hope you feel better soon . . . burns hurt . . . on the flip side I have heard that chicks dig scars . . . .

Beautiful install . . . thanks for sharing.

What came in the package . . . anything good?

Man, I hope the stove's ok. :cheese:

All good suggestions. Silvadene, or Thermazene (Silver Sulfadiazene) works wonders at healing and minimizing scars. Need a script, and if the burns are that bad, you should be seeing the doc anyway.
Got burned pretty bad a few years ago on my right hand. Well, almost the whole hand. Skin had ripples, but looking at the hand now, you'd never know I got burned.
Seriously, see the doc.

firefighterjake said:
What came in the package . . . anything good?

:cheese:

I have no idea what is was (it was 3 years ago) and it's always irritated me I didn't notice it when I took that picture. :shut:

Wendell, that's a great looking setup ya got there. Hope you heal up from your "spill" LOL

Sorry to hear that Wendell, hope you heal up soon.

There must be a less painful way of getting a great picture on........... ;-)

Wendell - Sorry to hear about the accident. I also recommend that you see a doctor if the burn is severe or large or has any sudden or lingering symptoms. Burns are serious matters, very liable to secondary infections. I have a son who volunteers as an EMT at a fire station. He keeps me informed and warned. If any one is interested, there is a wonderful book by Barbara Ravage, "Burn Uni: Saving Lives after the Flamest" (2005), that describes the changing technology of treating burns.

Well, you all scared me in to it so I did go to the Dr. today. What they told me was they no longer use Silvadene as although it does prevent infections they found it also inhibits new cell growth so I've got some Bacitracin and lots of gauze.

I was amazed how much the lavender oil helped with the pain but still woke up with a HUGE blister this morning. Went to spread some more oil on this morning and the blister popped, spraying its content at an amazing distance. I actually didn't realize it had popped until I heard the spray hitting the wastebasket to my right. :bug:

Your lucky thats all you got, humans can bounce in funny ways sometimes.
Love your stove, Im a big fan of the contempo's.

BeGreen said:
OUCH! That sounds awful. Take care of that burn.

Second-degree burn
Soak the burn in cool water for 15 minutes.

Cold water on the burn immediately, and for a good long time, is absolutely amazing in both minimizing pain and actually reducing the tissue damage, at least on more minor burns. I discovered that by accident one day (put my finger on the electric burner, if I recall) and was astonished that it didn't hurt at all the next day, nor blister or anything else. It was almost as if it had never happened.

I read somewhere that the damage from a burn is from the super-heated surface skin burning the tissues underneath, which it continues to do for some time after the burn itself. The cold water rapidly lowers the heat, so the underlying lower skin doesn't get burned. Or something.

Anyway, if you can do that immediately, it makes a huge difference.

Ouch! Hope you heal up well and soon.

Got me wondering if I should sell the stove before I've had a chance to install it.....

Naw! I'll just not move my mattress.

So sorry about the burn, hope you heal fast...

I keep trying to emphasize to my kids how hot our wood stove is in hopes they respect and keep their distance!!! I allow absolutely NO horseplay anywhere near the wood stove!!!

No matter how careful you are, it is almost impossible to never get burnt when you are around something hot..........

I was reloading earlier, and was wearing just one glove as it's easier to handle the poker to pull the coals forward. Needless to say, I forgot I wasn't wearing both gloves, and went to close the door with my other hand.

Result.......... nice door shaped brand on my fingers....... just as well there was a glass of cold beer nearby to shove my hand in......... :)

Lavender oil is AMAZING stuff. I use it for everything. Cold sores, blisters, ingrown hairs, my homemade cleaning solution, getting mildew out of grout. You could practically cure dry rot with the stuff.

Glad you got it checked out and you're feeling better.

~Rose

Glad you checked in with the Dr. A freind of a friend did not and ended up in the hospital for 5 days with a bad infection...

Glad to hear you are semi ok. At least you didn't knock the stove pipe out of place or anything like that. Remember chicks dig scars!.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Lots of great advice here but from an EMT standpoint best thing you did was to go to a doctor. If for any reason you suspect infection, go back to your doctor asap or nearest ER. Infections are nothing to fool with. Hope you heal soon. :) Warren

Ouch!! Of all my injuries, I'll say that a 1x3 inch 2nd degree burn was the longest lasting and worse pain I can remember. I feel for you and hope you heal soon.

How's the boo healing up?

All better, thanks for asking!

I'm glad it turned out ok. You're past this point, so I'm throwing this out there for anyone else watching. I burned myself pretty badly on a burn pile last summer (doing something _very_ stupid) and had extensive second degree burns on my right arm, and first degree on much my face. My wife is a nursing student, and I took care of it at home (prepared to suck it up and go to a doc if it looked bad). Turned out very well, after a few week recovery. Non-stick bandage pads, a tube of triple antibiotic ointment, changed every day. I also used a surgical hand-scrub sold at many drugstores (and wal-mart I think) called HibiCleanse. It is not alcohol based, and does not sting when applied to open wounds. It's my go-to wound cleaner now. No signs of infection after the second day. I was incredibly lucky to be left with only dark blotches on my arm. Be careful, it's when we get comfortable with fire it jumps up and reminds us who's boss. I'm off to go light a brush/stump pile now. WITHOUT accelerants!

Wendell, good to hear you're better. Now we can get back to talking about your hearth without all the tedious preliminaries:
("Gee, too bad about the burn, nice hearth, man!"
"Sorry to hear about your injuries, you got any more pictures of that hearth?"
"You might want to see a doctor. . . that is slate, isn't it?"
"I feel your pain; did you hurt the stove?" )
;-)

Darkbyrd, I never did get a clear answer from my daughter about why her brother's spray can of Axe was sitting next to the woodstove after she lit the fire, but I'm going to share your post with her. She's a nursing major, too, freshman . . . might sink in . . .

Honey works great. I had a third degree burn from a piece of welding slag that went down my boot. Just applied honey from the get go and never a problem. Also stops a blister and pain if you apply it right away. Bacteria can not grow in honey, so it keeps infection out. You can leave the lid off the jar and it will never go bad, just harden up, which a little heat brings it back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.