You are now only allowed two types of wood - pick them..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
I have a reasonably good range of species to burn - it got me thinking, if I only was 'allowed' two, for whatever reason - what would they be?

From my experiences so far (which are limited) I think I would go for hemlock - low ash, quick to get fire up to temperature, good to build base for my next choice: Locust - low moisture to begin with, long overnight burn, easy to split.

I've been burning a lot of maple, but far too much ash to make it to my choice of two..

Out of all mine i would say hedge (burns real hot and for a long,long time) and ash (ashs great and calms the hedge down). JD

My two kinds would have to be "free" and "dry" :cheese:

PINEBURNER said:
My two kinds would have to be "free" and "dry" :cheese:

Ah, but you're screwed now - I'm counting those as separate species, so you have free wood that's wet, and dry wood you paid for. And because it's 'my' thread, I saying the free wood will never dry. So there.. :)

here in northern jersey, seems to be alot of cherry. I like it. Seasons well and burns well.

!) Oak
2) Cherry

ash and beech

ash and oak

Is this based on fantasy or on what is easily obtainable? Based on availability, I choose Ash first and Birch second. If fantasy, dunno...

Ash and any Oak

LLigetfa said:
Is this based on fantasy or on what is easily obtainable? Based on availability, I choose Ash first and Birch second. If fantasy, dunno...

I picked two that I have in my pile, but yes, if fantasy, I don't know what I should choose - ash by the looks of the results so far.. Maybe a 'coal tree'

Black locust and black walnut.
once you go black, you never go back.

Danno77 said:
Black locust and black walnut.
once you go black, you never go back.

I admit it, I chortled.

Until this year I never kept mine seperate beyond hardwood and </<white pine>>.
So a little of this and a little of that is what I've always burned. If it was dry and fit it went in. (except for those that were too long and came back out)

I've burned pine seperate. Pine ash seems a bit <<fluffier>>.

Never really mattered to me which wood had a bit more ash. Had to be shovelled out regardless.
Usually sometime before there was more ash in there than firewood. :)

CarbonNeutral said:
I have a reasonably good range of species to burn - it got me thinking, if I only was 'allowed' two, for whatever reason - what would they be?

From my experiences so far (which are limited) I think I would go for hemlock - low ash, quick to get fire up to temperature, good to build base for my next choice: Locust - low moisture to begin with, long overnight burn, easy to split.

I've been burning a lot of maple, but far too much ash to make it to my choice of two..

Doug Fir and Western Red Cedar (for kindling)

Hard maple and ironwood

Based on local availability here I'd say:

1.) Sugar maple
2.) Red Oak

Maple and oak for me.....maples splits real easy and lights up fast. (Don't have too much Ash around here)
Oak is nice..takes longer to season, but I got time.
A runner up would be beech

Ash and sugar maple

Someday maybe I'll burn something I like even better, but so far my two favorite wood types list is: Choke Cherry and Bur Oak.

in fantasy land i would go with hickory and sugar maple.

in the real world, based upon avalibility, abundance, ease of splitting and burning uses i would go with sugar maple and pine or possibly ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.