you can be stupid even if you should know better

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Just reading through all these posts about fires, people being negligent, etc.
Last night I'm in a hurry to catch a flight. The stove was relatively cool, so I empty the ashes before I leave the wife and kids. Didn't see any burning embers, and the container already had a bed of ashes in it. About to bring the bucket outside, I get distracted...
At midnight I realize that the bucket is still next to the stove, and I'm 500 miles away. Can't reach my wife. Worry all night about my stupidity. No harm thank God.

That why I have they recommend a metal bucket with metal lid. Even if there are hot coals inside they wont burst into flames and sure wont melt thru like a plastic bucket.

I had board up in the rafters once near my stove (well outside the clearances). One of the cleats holding it up decided that it was going to fail. The board fell down on the hot stove and I was outside so I didn't hear the racket. I walked in and all the smoke detectors were going and I could smell charred wood.

Last night I'm in a hurry to catch a flight. The stove was relatively cool, so I empty the ashes before I leave the wife and kids. Didn't see any burning embers, and the container already had a bed of ashes in it. About to bring the bucket outside, I get distracted...
At midnight I realize that the bucket is still next to the stove, and I'm 500 miles away. Can't reach my wife. Worry all night about my stupidity. No harm thank God.
WOW, I feel your pain. That must have been a very stressful night......

I had a non-wood stove accident happen on my property a few weeks ago. It was a negligent discharge by a guest on my gun range. As you could imagine it could have killed or injured someone. Fortunately only the lawn was injured. But that lit a fire under me to increase my belligerence of following the range rules when friends/family are over using the range.

Point is, I think we dodge a bullet from time to time that serves to remind us the importance of being very deliberate and focused on safety when doing dangerous things until the danger has passed. Glad everything ended up being okay with regards to your ashes!

Reactions: Dustin
Suggestion: unless you live in a very rural area, call for a pizza delivery to your home and explain the situation. Make sure they get a big tip.

When working with fire in the home it's not a good time to be in a hurry. I delayed a recent trip by several days until I could be sure that a recent gasket change was properly working.

So what was the bucket made from that you put the ash in? The ash can have smoldering chunks for weeks.

I know, almost burnt my house down. I now use all metal cans with lids, and they sit on stone pavers.

So what was the bucket made from that you put the ash in? The ash can have smoldering chunks for weeks.

I know, almost burnt my house down. I now use all metal cans with lids, and they sit on stone pavers.
Metal, covered, on the tile hearth. Unlikely to run into trouble, but I always leave it outside on the grass.

There is also the potential for CO release from hot coals in the ash can. It is safer to put outdoors on a non-combustible surface.

Metal, covered, on the tile hearth. Unlikely to run into trouble, but I always leave it outside on the grass.

So with your good practice of using metal and setting it on ceramic tile was key. I would not put the can directly on the grass, but on a stone pad.

Good idea, not sure what time Belmont Pizza is open till...

Is it just coincidence that you know I live one block from Belmont Pizza, or should I call Rod Serling?

Ash buckets live outside on a concrete pad at my house. They only come in briefly to get a fresh load. I dump them right before I use them (so they've usually been sitting outside for about a week at that point).

Reactions: 2ndburn
I use an ash bucket or a coal bucket and put them on the concrete porch. It helps to have a new hearth pad to have the container sitting on when the ashes are being dumped into it.