You can't make this stuff up or maybe it's enough with the CL's ads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
Unseasoned Firewood Hardwoods - $60 (Capital District)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-05-09, 7:35AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offering quality hardwoods for home heating. Mixture of oak, red oak, maple, beech. This will be ready to burn in the fall.
Stock up and save now. Pickup or delivery. $60 a face cord/$200 a full cord. Most pieces cut to "16-18. Can accomodate
larger lengths for outdoor boilers. Call 518-813-####

Ok what's wrong with this one? :lol:

Buy in bulk and spend more!

I called and come to find out his face cords are actually the size of his face :p :) ;-) :roll:

Sounds like a great deal to me ,not I just dont get the buy more pay more

shouldntbesocomplicated said:

Face cord = ~ 1/3 cord. 3 face cords @ $60 = $180/cord. Rick

fossil said:

Thanks Rick my math came out the same must not be dictionary face cords lol

He must have run the lottery before. The saying for the lottery is:

It's for people who failed math. (The odds of winning are not in your favor.)

He's just expanding that theory to the firewood business.

Just buy 6 face cords and $AVE

fossil said:

Face cord = a pile of wood splits of a uniform, but undefined length 4 feet by 8 feet. Face cord is a 2 dimentional unit of measure and cannot be reliably used to determine volume, nothing says the splits are 16" long, they could be 10" and its still a face cord.

mayhem said:
fossil said:

Face cord = a pile of wood splits of a uniform, but undefined length 4 feet by 8 feet. Face cord is a 2 dimentional unit of measure and cannot be reliably used to determine volume, nothing says the splits are 16" long, they could be 10" and its still a face cord.

His add states, Most pieces cut to “16-18. Can accomodate so I will ask for them cut at 48" and order a few face cords,lol

I never heard of a face cord until I joined this forum, it's a term that is just not used in my area, and from what I've seen here it can be just about anything. Seems to me it's just a loose term for a load of wood that is nowhere near a proper cord. More of a meaningless made up word than an exact useful measurment. Kind of like saying,"Wood for sale, $100 per load", which is what they say around here.

Carbon_Liberator said:
I never heard of a face cord until I joined this forum, it's a term that is just not used in my area, and from what I've seen here it can be just about anything. Seems to me it's just a loose term for a load of wood that is nowhere near a proper cord. More of a meaningless made up word than an exact useful measurment. Kind of like saying,"Wood for sale, $100 per load", which is what they say around here.

I never heard face cord before either but I thought it meant 16" x 4' x 8' which would be a third of a cord, but since Ive never heard the term til I joined here, who knows.

It's a 4'x8' pile of stove-length wood. Ya, ya- cut it 20' long. Normally 16-18" splits. It's a dumb measure, and in many places when they say a cord- they mean a face cord.

They may as well measure in pantloads.

I don't know why we, the members of this forum. even use the term "face cord." We all know what a 'cord' is. But someone will post something about paying, say, $120 a cord and someone else will ask "Is that a cord or a FACE cord?"

We should only speak in terms of 'dictionary' cords. Period.

Just sayin'

Kenster said:
We should only speak in terms of 'dictionary' cords. Period.

New Rule!

Cord or fractions of dictionary cords will be the accepted measurement hence forth.

How about a butt cord?

Backwoods Savage said:
How about a butt cord?

Is that what you end get when you split sitting down?

Well Steve, I never thought about it that way but maybe you're onto something there. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.