"You Can't Take It With You!"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
If I ever sell my home, and move to another, I wonder how much of a big deal it would be to take my stove with me?

Obviously I could unscrew the pipe and "physically" take the stove, but .........

A) I wonder how much of a positive selling point it adds to my home from a
"typical buyer's" perspective?
B) If I took the stove, I've left a hole in the ceiling and roof; obviously I'd
have to fix that, unless I left the pipe.
C) Are there any laws concerning this issue of leaving or taking a stove from
a home when you sell it?

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
If I ever sell my home, and move to another, I wonder how much of a big deal it would be to take my stove with me?

Obviously I could unscrew the pipe and "physically" take the stove, but .........

"typical buyer's" perspective?
a home when you sell it?

-Soupy1957

A & B everything is negotiable in a home sale. I'm not sure if a stove would be considered a permanent fixture of the home or not. But you can state that the stove and stove-pipe/chimney doesn't stay unless it is written into the offer contract. This way people are forced to consider the value of the stove and if they want to pay for it.

I have no idea concerning legallity of doing such a thing, but I wouldn't see any reason you can't take it as long as you patch the holes in nicely.

We came across that issue just having sold our house. We were thinking about taking the stove, but that was the main selling point in the house.

soupy1957 said:

"typical buyer's" perspective? Probably depends a lot on your locale and the market . . . around here in rural Maine . . . having a woodstove . . . and a decent woodstove at that is very much a positive selling point which gets noted in the ads and write ups.
a home when you sell it?

-Soupy1957

Something to worry about some day if you decide to sell. No use to spend time thinking about it until that day comes.

When the stove starts needing replacing maybe that is the time to sell the house too.

Jake,
I lived in New Sweden for a number of years.......above Caribou......you wanna talk RURAL!!

-Soupy1957

P.S. You're right, of course.........the more "rural" the more the likelyhood that it is a MAJOR selling point!

We showed the house with the stove. It didn't sell. Complaints included "made the family room look smaller", "worried about
the children getting burned", "burning wood is dirty." In this market, people are looking for any reason not to buy, so we removed
those reasons and kept the price the same.

We had the stove professionally moved to the new house. Patched the ceilings and roof. House immediately sold for asking price.
It was much cheaper having the stove and chimney moved than buying a new set-up.

I'd like to take ours with us. It is the nicest (and most expensive) piece of furniture that we own and we were at the factory when it was being built for us. But, if the price were right, we could surely buy another one.

I aint ever moving those heavy azz rocks again! They are staying put! Besides if I move I'd have another excuse to buy a different stove to try out. :cheese:

soupy1957 said:
Jake,
I lived in New Sweden for a number of years.......above Caribou......you wanna talk RURAL!!

-Soupy1957

P.S. You're right, of course.........the more "rural" the more the likelyhood that it is a MAJOR selling point!

Edited . . . fingers were typing faster than the mind . . . I typed a comment which could be construed as hurtful rather than funny to any folks with relatives in that area . . . no one said anything to me . . . but I'm self-editing my comments . . . as I said the brain sometimes is a bit behind the fingers.

Pappy used to say, one way to get your brain ahead of your fingers is to sit on your hands :lol: LOL

I definitely want to take mine with me. That Buck I got for $300 last year works great and would cost me $3k to replace according to local dealer. Besides I really like the Cat firing off and saving me loading and wood.
One other thing to consider is home owners insurance. Now a days the fireplace is a liability(in gold ol California anyway...hell what isn't a liability here?) We were told that if we welded the damper shut we would have a better chance of selling the house because the liability of the fireplace would be gone. Amazing! Cant wait to move to Idaho, and take my liability laden stove with me!

Since "I" have "relatives" in that area, I'm glad you DID "edit" whatever it was you were gonna say (lol)

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
Since "I" have "relatives" in that area, I'm glad you DID "edit" whatever it was you were gonna say (lol)

-Soupy1957

Nothing derogatory I assure you . . . just a potentially insenstive comment written in a moment of trying to be funny . . . before catching myself . . . I save the truly derogatory comments about people who live in my neck of the woods . . . well that and folks who insist on splitting wood vertically. ;) :)

depends on the buyer i guess,

We actually bought our current house without a stove, but with an empty hearth, a chimney and a hole through the wall, i kinda liked the idea of having the setup already in place with getting to choose what i want for heat. at first i was thinking pellet, even gas, lastly i thought wood and im happy I went with it and i was able to get a smoking deal on a brand new napoleon.

When i go to sell the house within the next 5 years, I plan on using the stove as a selling point, it fits the atmosphere of my basement perfectly (rough sawn pine, man cave) and i have electric heat, so it definitely helps to have an alternate practically free method of heating the house. I also do not have a SUPER nice stove, just a big steel box, so i will not miss it greatly when i move. although the new house MUST have a stove or will be getting one installed!

I guess it depends on the situation. But in my situation its staying when I sell the house unless the potential buyer does not want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.