YOU GOTTA SEE THIS! HOCKEY SHOT WINS TRUCK IN MASSENA, NY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great! I like that they had her wear a helmet. I bet that the truck guys thought that there was no chance that she would hit the shot. The last time that I saw something like this (it may have been a half court shot in basketball), the prize was not awarded because the name of the person who won did not match the name of the person who make the shot. :lol:

Gasifier said:
:ahhh: Check this out! What do you think the chances are they don't want you to make this shot! :lol:

What are the odds, good for her.

zap

The underwriter who calculated the percentage of someone making the shot and determining the cost of the insurance premium the dealer paid is probably in the unemployment line now. :lol:

That is fantastic!

aroth said:
That's great! I like that they had her wear a helmet. I bet that the truck guys thought that there was no chance that she would hit the shot. The last time that I saw something like this (it may have been a half court shot in basketball), the prize was not awarded because the name of the person who won did not match the name of the person who make the shot. :lol:

There were some twins a while back that did the switcheroo because the one who's name was called had gone outside so the brother took his place. They ended up not getting the prize.

I remember a time when I was in high school, local college team won the game by one point. Kid got the ball in his hands by the opposing team's hoop with something like 1-2 seconds on the clock. Cocked it back in one hand and heaved it and damn if the thing not only went in, but it was nothing but net.

I was wondering what type of truck it was. Did they give away a basic, bottom of the line model. Well it doesn't sound like it. A Ford F-150 4x4 $32,000! Saaaweeeeet! Here is the write up from the local paper. Cool to see that happen.

MASSENA - Brenda Hewlett, 59, of Massena earned a new truck the hard way Friday night at the Massena Arena.

She was selected as the first of five contestants to have an opportunity to shoot a puck from the far blue line to a net that was 114 feet away and covered by a board except for a tiny hole the size of the puck.

The goal, so to speak, was to get the puck through that hole.

Even though she had never held a hockey stick in her life, the puck went straight down the ice and straight into the net, earning Ms. Hewlett a 2012 Ford F-150 4x4 truck, valued at $32,000, from Frenchie's Ford.

"It's very difficult," Massena Joint Recreation Superintendent Richard A. Boprey, a former Clarkson University hockey player who enjoyed a lengthy professional career in Europe folliwing his college career, said. "It's the perfect shot. You have less than a quarter of an inch on either side of the puck. You have to literally go straight through."

The contest was held between the second and third period of a game between the Akwesasne Warriors and 1000 Island Privateers.

"This was on rough ice, it was on chipped up ice," Mr. Boprey said. "The puck has to have enough momentum. If you even nick either side of the cutout, the puck's not going to go in. It's going to go post to post. It's going to hit both sides, and it's going to stay right there, like in bumper pool. There's no leniency.

It has to go straight down the middle and straight through the hole," he said.

And that's exactly what Ms. Hewlett did - after receiving a quick lesson from Mr. Boprey on how to properly hold the hockey stick.

"It was straight through and going just fast enough that it slid through," he said.

In a Facebook posting announcing the momentous shot, Scott Coupal from Frenchie's Ford said Ms. Hewlett, a retired GM employee, had gone to the dealership Friday morning to have service work done on her old truck and has told them, "God, I wish I could afford a new truck. Mine is falling apart."

It was there that she dropped her name into the box for Friday night's Shoot to Win competition that was being sponsored by Frenchie's Ford.

And, that night, the new truck became reality.

"The crowd started going absolutely crazy .. the puck then decided to get some wheels, feet, legs whatever you wanna call it and went straight into the hole with speed I might add," Mr. Coupal said.

Because of the number of media requests he has fielded, Mr. Coupal said Frenchie's Ford scheduled a press conference to talk about the event.

A video of Ms. Hewlett's amazing shot is on YouTube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZqU8rJjTs, where it had received nearly 23,000 hits by Monday afternoon.

Adios Pantalones said:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. I was thinking the same thing Stejus

I wonder if blind squirrels really do find nuts?

Anyone notice the lack of acorns?
All my squirrels are extra fat this year.

I just heard that today ZAP. It was on the local TV news out of Watertown. Amazing. I did get a chance to see the truck on the TV news. It was a jet Black F-150 4x4. Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.