1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

You guys ready for some Blazing heat?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by oldmountvernon, Mar 15, 2013.

1. oldmountvernon

oldmountvernon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Oakie Douglas Fir has hit the ground! Hold onto your a** for this.... wait... wait... wait.... here it comes....
    boom $ 355.00 Per ton! 7.50 per bag From Rogers Farm Supply. No one said they were gonna be cheap, in fact i was warned they werent going to be, so i was ready for it. I will be getting some soon to try them out. I want to get the touchy feely feeling from a pellet with that price tag lol

have it at guys ;lol

Edit: the other Dealer that will be carrying them is http://www.pellets-r-us.com/ and they are highly recommended by me as great people. If interested give them a call, they are guaranteed not to last long. suppose to be there next week
    MacP and Branson4720 like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    WOW...as good as they may be, at that price I would NEVER buy them....well, just a bag or two to try....oink.....
  3. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    Robbins in Oxford has two Douglas Fir pellets...would be interested in comparing....
  4. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    might as well just burn oil .
  5. oldmountvernon

Loc:
    SE Mass
    While talking to June at http://www.pellets-r-us.com/ she said they have less ash then Vermonts, which is insane i think my test showed Vermonts at 1/8 of a cup?

IHP the 2 Douglas Fir at Robbins i think 1 may be misleading as North Idaho arent 100% Fir But the Blazers are and suppose to be comparable but the oakies are suppose to have less Ash, so we shall see!
  6. Mike D

Mike D Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Haven, CT
    That's a bit rich. That's 2 tons of the big box store summer special price (plus coupon) for 1 ton of these. I'll stick with the big boxes then.
  7. oldmountvernon

Loc:
    SE Mass
    thats gonna be the common response and that was mine when i started. But for the Professional person with not much time in there day to play with the stove its a good option imo. less time maintaining. Im also hearing the heat is insane. if it is then im guessing you will use less pellets and wear and tear on your stove. I dont like the price myself thats why life is full of options :) But i cant wait to tryem at least. honestly i think the demand is going to out weigh the supply so dont hope to steal any
  8. mithesaint

mithesaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Ohio
    Yeah, but at 355/ton, the professional person is going to turn on the propane/oil/electric. Per Hearth.com's fuel cost calculator, 355/pellets is equal to 2.21/propane. Right now I'm paying about $1.90 for propane (hot water), not to mention the propane furnace provides more even distribution of heat, is a lot quieter, and doesn't require attention a few times per month, not to mention filling daily. I realize others may pay more than the going energy rates I have here, but when you factor in the time involved with tending the stove, if the numbers were close I'd burn propane all day. For now, pellets save me hundreds of dollars every year, but that's paying $179 for Somersets.:)
  9. oldmountvernon

Loc:
    SE Mass
    True but what people tend to forget is they keep their house up to 10 degrees hotter with pellets gotta factor that in. But like i said ya they are pricey as hell and an option. i dont like the price much either lol
  10. jslinger

jslinger Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    I asked a dealer in Vermont about them, and was told I was the first person to ever inquire about them. She said she has to buy them by the trailer load, and will put out the word to see if there is any interest in them. I hope there is.
    I will most likely go with the Vermont's at $268/ton, (plus it helps the local economy) but I am certainly willing to try a ton of these as well.
  11. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    2 tons of FSU, Chow, MWP or whatever HD is selling for less than one ton of those is a no brainer for me.
    Jack Morrissey likes this.
  12. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    That would cost more than what I calculated that it would cost to heat this barn with electric space heaters.
  13. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT
    Trying them could be dangerous, like your first taste of Johnny blue, Cuban rum, or a 35$ pardon cigar...

Nothing seems to scratch the itch as well...
  14. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Yep.. I get Somersets for $175 at Menards. So 2 tons of Sets? Or 1 of the Blackies??

No thanks.... Somersets are the Chit!!
  15. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    You all are forgetting that top shelf pellets are pricey in MA.
    This ain't Ohio or Virginia.
    I pay $300 for Okanagans. Even $355 would
    still cost me less than half what I'd spend on oil at the current prices
    to keep this cave at the same temps I do with pellets.
    jgrz0610, jtakeman and oldmountvernon like this.
  16. oldmountvernon

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Maybe MrWarm will honor Lowes coupons LOL
    Xena likes this.
  17. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    I have only tried the Blazers.......about half the ash of Vermont Woods if you can imagine that...no doubt the Okies will be hood, but at 355 that's a lot.....I am sticking to the Vermont Wood, best heat, ash value for me.
  18. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

heh...dont bet on that!
    gbreda and jtakeman like this.
  19. thedude110

thedude110 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    Is it $355 for the ton or for the full skid?
    roadking88 likes this.
  20. roadking88

roadking88 Member

Loc:
    central Maine
    lmao it's too much..i'd use oil for that money
  21. Countryboymo

Countryboymo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    W Central MO
    I found a guy that will get me ozark hardwoods for 140-150 a ton. I think I can deal with the extra ash next year for that price.
  22. Stevekng

Stevekng Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    If you find yourself buying the high priced stuff all the time do you turn into a pellet snob?;lol
    Defiant likes this.
  23. gengle

gengle Member

Loc:
    Central PA - Capitol Region
    Pellet geeks like good pellets ... Pellet snobs hate bad pellets.

I'm a geek. If I can score Turmans @ $205 a ton (like this past season) or Pennwoods @ $230 or less this season ...
  24. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA

Dang! $205 for Turman? An absolute STEAL! They are $240 my way and worth every penny in my eye. I wish I could get some Pennwood's again too. Haven't seen them for a few years.
  25. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    And the survey says.............................:rolleyes: