You know she's runnin' hot when...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
...the thermometer slides right down the door onto the hearth :bug: Yep, negative 4 degrees this morning, :grrr: and the old girl just topped out at 800, then I lost the Rutland thermometer. But still, the fan hasn't kicked on high, so I'm not overfiring...yet. Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to welcome you aboard. We'll be cruising at about 750 for the next hour or so :coolsmile:

... the Labrador begins smouldering.

and the black lab spontaneously combusts.

That familiar smell from the break in period returns................

My cold water is the same temperature as the hot...(my plumbing is directly above the stove in the basement)

The snow and ice on the roof near the chimney is all melted. Oh, maybe I need more insulation. :-S

"your wife kicks off the covers in the middle of the night"

The devil shows up and asks if he can leave you some guests.

You smell that "Dusty Smell" and begin to sweat,(and it's not from the heat), and it's time to change your "Tiddy Whitey's".. You also hope that the old chimney is creosote free or it's marshmellow time for you and the Fire Dept..

BeGreen, Gunner or Hogwildz says "Don't ya think that stove is a little too hot?".

You know it's running hot when you check on it in the middle of the night and it glows in the dark! (Timberline, 1977).

Ken

When your neighbor across the street calls and asks you to "Turn that thing down. It is getting hot over here.".

Nice, guys! Love the responses :lol:

.....When you see what looks like a bunch of tiny sparks on the top of the stove when looking at it in the dark.
...Or when the thermometer falls off the stove pipe.... :bug:

you know she's running a tad hot ::

When you can see flames dancing inside your 8 inch single black wall snap fit stove pipe through the cracks in the coupling joints & hear that clak,clak,clak,clak,clak,teat,teat,teat,teat,teat,teat noise & the needle on the stack thermo thinks its a speedometer doing 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds.

Naa, ya think???

BrotherBart said:
BeGreen, Gunner or Hogwildz says "Don't ya think that stove is a little too hot?".
;)

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:
;)

Just a tad hot,maybe. :lol: %-P

Honestly, it would be scary if I didn't know all about it.

but I know how to deal with it when it does that to me, like twice a day on start up to opperating temp, if i'm not real carefull.

primary air -full off,secondary air full off,inline stack damper full closed & draft dump to room air ,full open. elapsed time of contol settings reset is under 50 seconds. Then the stack temp will drop to 500 in like 90 to 120 sec.

And usually the stack temp gague moves more like a tranqualized snail than a speedometer needle; but every now & again ,I hit just the right combo of temp ,draft, wood type & fire lay out geometry & my stove thinks its an Indy race car.

Thats why i have taken to watching it & checking it & rechecking it & then,I check it again.2 thermos,one stove top & 1 smoke stack.

BrotherBart said:

:lol: :coolgrin: :lol: and we likes it hot!

I only get concerned at 900 stovetop, cause thats were the thermo stops...I'd really like to know when I'm approaching 1000 so I can start to throttle her back a bit :coolgrin:

Gunner said:
I only get concerned at 900 stovetop, cause thats were the thermo stops...I'd really like to know when I'm approaching 1000 so I can start to throttle her back a bit :coolgrin:

Methane has an ignition temperature of 1000 degrees so you just turn your back to the stove and, well, you get the picture. :p

BrotherBart said:
Gunner said:

Methane has an ignition temperature of 1000 degrees so you just turn your back to the stove and, well, you get the picture. :p

I'd be a tad carefull with that if I was you, bro!!!
You wouldn't be wanting to burn a hole through the back of your trousers, now would you. ;-P

I keep an unpresurized 1 gal garden sprayer full of water about 10 ft from the stove, just in case. I've never had to use it, but it is ready at hand, nevertheless. i don't pressurize it so that I can depend on its working if I need it to. Every time I left a garden sprayer pressurized, 3 months later it was inopperable for one failure or another.

Had the plastic jug split at the seam under pressure,had the off/on valve leak, get stuck in the 'on' position, stuck in the 'off' position, break altogether, & had the orface clog any number of times. Lost count of how many new replacements I had to buy over the years.
Now I took to empting the jug & rinsing the unit with clean water & running clear water through the spray head as soon as I finished spraying & they seem to last a year or 2 longer because of it.

You know she’s runnin’ hot when...

You need a spatula to remove your clothing.
Politicians take their hands out of your pocket to fan themselves.
You burn your hand on your front door knob.
Your daughters braces make blisters on her lips.
You have to take a hot shower just to cool off.
Birds flying over your house land in your yard "extra crispy".
Your goldfish starts sweating.

Attachments

• IMG_2433.jpg
    IMG_2433.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 261
Status
Not open for further replies.