You know the heating season is about over when:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
Through your open bedroom windows you awake to the sound of chainsaws and a BIG chipper running and don't even go and investigate.

I'm wood weary now with 3 years wood c/s/s and all gathered this year (about 6 cords) and another 2 on the ground waiting to be split. This is by far a record for me thanks to you guys and gals.

I just knew that it would be neighbors taking down sweet gum trees and I was afraid my addiction would get the best of me and I would be 'forced' to take it because it was so easy. Held out for 2 hours and finally had to go have a look because I couldn't get the thought out of my head that it might be oak or maple or hickory etc. Sure enough, sweet gum in log length on the ground and 40 feet of it still in the air.

Called my sponsor though and he talked me through it and I walked away. So proud of myself, it's been a whole week since my last scrounge :blank:

Edit: Meant to post this to the Wood Shed forum, probably get moved.

Another winter storm warning and folks crashin the showroom, I dont think we're out of the woods yet. At least here in CNY.

not quite spring yet up here in the mountains... we just got another 2 feet or so of fresh snow over the past 2 days (I'd be out skiing it if my darn ski boot buckles didn't just break as I was about to head out the door!). Sping is starting to show down in the vallies though... I heard Robins yesterday in Bozeman ;)

There is going to be an end to this winter? >:-(

Mt Ski Bum said:
I heard Robins yesterday in Bozeman ;)

I just heard the first robins about an hour ago... as I was out bringing yet more wood in for the season. Hope they brought their snowshoes.

Spring will get here when it gets here. I stopped fretting about the ever enduring winter years ago when I realized I was wishing my life away while yearning for springtime. That's OK when you're in your 20s and you got lots of it left. Just shy of 60 now, I'm all about "Be Here Now". Now, as in no artificial joints yet, no bypass surgery, no Alzheimer's, no Alzheimer's. Oh... and no Alzheimer's, either.

wendell said:
There is going to be an end to this winter? >:-(

Promise? When?

Had eight robins in the yard the other day---and then 2+ inches of snow that night.......yup, God has a sense of humor and he likes to exercise it at my expense....

The daily thunderstorm that just blasted through here, one to two a day for the last four days, tells me that Spring has arrived. I'll take snow over these things any day.

Robins? Shucks, I heard and saw my first Phoebe today, back from his winter in Florida or Mexico.

Nancy

Battenkiller said:
Just shy of 60 now, I'm all about "Be Here Now". Now, as in no artificial joints yet, no bypass surgery, no Alzheimer's, no Alzheimer's. Oh... and no Alzheimer's, either.
LMAO !!!!!!

I had the stove running 24/7 since Halloween. I let it go out @ 2 weeks ago when we had a few 45+ degree days
and I got all wrapped up with maple sugaring and wasn't home enough to keep it fed.
I relit it tonight because I got a break in the action and the forecast shows nights
well below freezing for the next 10 days...at least.
Call me crazy, but I'm excited for the snow to melt down a bit so I can get out in the woods and cut some for the 2012/2013 season.

. . . it was 70 in my house in the evening and I hadn't had a fire since the night before.
. . . I can go without an overnight fire without worrying about my pipes freezing.
. . . noticing that I'm almost out of firewood makes me look forward to cleaning up the mess instead of worrying about my pipes freezing.
. . . I can go a whole day w/o logging on to h.c.

DAKSY said:
Franks said:
Another winter storm warning and folks crashin the showroom, I dont think we're out of the woods yet. At least here in CNY.

Not here in ENY, either, Franks...

Bah, we got about 3". What a tease. Sure has the customers in buying mode though.

Shoveled about 8" off the porch this am. 3' drifts around the house. Thought the snow was kind of squeaky, checked the thermometer when i got in -8. Thought we were done with that cold stuff. No wonder the dogs came right back in this morning.
Doug

You know the heating season is about over when:

the fat lady sings, and she ain't on stage yet.

peeps start postin' they thing winter's over :)

I've said this numerous times and I'll say it again.....had a neighbor, retired pilot, here in south PA, and I can still here him complainin'.......

"had to make fire in JUNE"

djblech said:
Shoveled about 8" off the porch this am. 3' drifts around the house. Thought the snow was kind of squeaky, checked the thermometer when i got in -8. Thought we were done with that cold stuff. No wonder the dogs came right back in this morning.
Doug

Blech...you do still have winter.

I thought I might.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.