You know the power company is worried about an ice storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
When they call all their customers and warn them to have a storm kit ready. PSNH in New Hampshire apparently has robodialed all their customers to warn them to be ready for ice storm related outages.

The current forecast is the potential for 1/2" of ice overnight with more Saturday into Sunday.

Time to dig the generator out. Luckilly the majority of my neighborhood has underground power and we are fed off a main line.

Yep, as far south Campton they're doing to robodial. 32.5 and drizzle in Plymouth right now. Freshly cleaned stove just re-lit, 10 gallons of gas for the generator, full bottles of LP for the grill, guarantees I will not loose power.

How far up are you, I think it's all gonna be north of me.

I'm a lineman , ice is the enemy. If you get hit real bad I might head your way to work , have the stove nice and warm for me ! Lol

Yeah, gotta go down to the town garage and load up on salt sand today

I'm a lineman , ice is the enemy. If you get hit real bad I might head your way to work , have the stove nice and warm for me ! Lol
Sully, that is one tough job in this weather. When we had those brutal storms here in Ct., linemen from all over came to help the local crews.....you guys have no idea how grateful we are for the work you do.

My dad was a lineman and made the trip down east for ice storms many times. I am appalled that guys and gals are sent out solo for emergency work these days. Guy was up on our pole alone changing a transformer in a snow storm at 2 am a couple of weeks ago. He said it was company policy now. Is it the same with you? Have a happy and safe holiday!

The current forecast Is my house is right in the bullseye. In the 98 event I lost about 1/3 of my hardwoods right off quick and another third had serious damage. The 98 storm hit an elevation band from about 1200 feet to 2000 feet, my house is at 1400 feet. One good thing that came out of it was that the utility laid out the law with some of the local towns and gave them the choice of clearing a larger ROW or not restoring power. THe utility has been much more aggressive since the event but in some of the towns where the power lines run through the woods instead of along the roads, they have backed off. Unfortunately the summer folks and even year round folks don't have to pay to replace the lines to their homes so they kept overhead lines. I expect they deserve what they get but frequently the ice load on the laterals to the homes pull down the main line. There is one individual in my neighborhood that could take out my entire street. Hopefully the line will just snap to his house and leave the rest of us with power.

Saw a caravan of yellow line trucks heading N on 93 today. Seems lime they're really trying to be ready to go on this one. Be safe.

No ice over Saturday night but around 7Am the softwoods started building up and by mid morning the hardwoods started crackling in the breeze. The trees and everything else is glazing up.

My minisplit was the first thing to ice up, it started to ice up last night and while it was warm I turned it off to thaw out and wrapped it in plastic once it thawed this morning. It partially my fault, the temporary roof I put on top of it isn't big enough so water was running down and dripping on it. I will make a modification to it.

Last edited:
Ugh. I hate ice storms.

About 100K without power along our northeastern border. Ice storms are nasty. Stay safe out there and stay warm.

Of course you can look at the bright side, it's even worse up in Canada. Reminds me of the big ice storm about 15 yrs ago up there.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ontario-maritimes-and-quebec-weather.120302/
We were living just south of that big storm years ago. I remember watching the local news when they showed video of a reporter from a Canadian station reporting on the storm as huge high tension towers were collapsing in the background. We had the opportunity to drive up there a couple months later and literally every telephone pole for 40 miles was new.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Ice storm here in Tulsa, Oklahoma ... not as bad as some places. power out for about 4 hours. nothing compared to ice storm of a few years back .. we lost power for 2.5 weeks.

Ice was forecasted for Sat and Sun, got no ice, today was supposed to be clear, freezing rain all morning, not bad, maybe 1/8" max, but still raining.
Hope the rest of u get through without major problems.

Everything up this way is ice crusted . . . surprisingly we have not lost power at our house. A few trees are leaning over hard.

Its still freezing to trees up in the north country. I have put some salt on the driveway but its freezing over on top. No power issues

There is no glory in an ice storm for the power company. We have had them that wrecked so many trees all over the region and everyone expected super-human response, then the state tries to sue them etc-. Everyone be ready and be patient.

The front of this storm is so long and wide that I think they are going to run out of crews unless they fly them in from unaffected states.

The aftermath of the ice storm came close to claiming the lives of a couple and their infant daughter.

State police said the family suffered carbon monoxide poisoning overnight after being overcome by fumes from a generator. Emergency crews were called to a residence in the town of Hermon at 12:25 a.m. Monday. Officials said a 32 year old resident was running a generator in a back bedroom because his home had no electricity from the ice storm. He told police he had forgotten the generator had been running for two hours so he went to check on it. Police said when he didn't come back from the bedroom, his girlfriend went to a neighbor's house for help. When she and the neighbor returned, they found him unconscious in the bedroom. The neighbor dragged him out of the home and revived him. State police said when they arrived, emergency crews were working to revive the 8 month old daughter, who was unresponsive.

Woke up to a snow storm. Already a couple inches.

I think we lucked out . . . a few pine branches came down. Quite a bit of ice, but other than the lights flickering we never lost power. It's quite pretty out there.

Yes you did. Currently a half-million people are without power in the US and Canada from this nasty storm. There will be a spike in wood stove sales and generators after this one.

wow... we lucked out in Tulsa, OK .. power out only a few hours to replace a pole. utility tree crews had been active on same block for several weeks just before ice storm hit.

fired up the little Honda EU2000i genset to run Buck 91 fan, refrigerator and PC. had about 20 gallons of fuel on hand just in case gas stations lost power.

Status
Not open for further replies.