You Know You Are A Real Wood Burner If _________

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like most of the Cubs ended up in Pennsylvania and the Mid West. Not much near me either.

When out for a drive the wife says, thats a nice house and I say, did you see that wood pile outback.

When they call you a WOOD BANDIT

IMG_20140701_072826077.jpg IMG_20140704_132306590_HDR.jpg
Lest ye believe all us desk jockey's are full of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: infinitymike
Before and after pictures from the 4th! Note, bottle of IBU now empty!

...when someone says "Woodstock" and you automatically think of the stove , not the place!

It seems like most of the Cubs ended up in Pennsylvania and the Mid West. Not much near me either.

When I was a kid, my dad had a lawn service on Long Island. I used to work with him. We had a Cub that I used to ride over the larger properties, mowing lawns, spreading chemicals and aerating. That was around 1977 or "78.

when your wife asks you how your collection wood stoves are going to hang around and you don't answer ,than she uses your jotul 602n as a lamp end table.

Your wife says "I know you are out of room to stack wood, but do you think you could find another place for __________"

I have 12 cord c/s/s and another 2 cord of rounds that need to be split. I literally am out of pallets and the wife is still drumming up free wood.

She likes being warm ;)

Reactions: macattack_ga
... no one believes you when you say, "that's about two year's worth of wood."

Just about every visitor to my house makes an exclamation something like, "Holy carp, that's a lot of wood! You're stocked up for the next fifteen years?"

Reactions: Higgs
I get the opposite. People say they have enough for a year and I say that'd probably heat my house and water over the summer for two years.

Being new, I find myself wondering how long the 10 cords of wood I have cut and stacked (plus the other six or so I'm still working on) will last.

Being new, I find myself wondering how long the 10 cords of wood I have cut and stacked (plus the other six or so I'm still working on) will last.
Figure 3 - 5 cords per stove per year, depending on heat load and size of stove. I'm running two big (3.0 cu.ft.) stoves, with very high heat load, so I'm at 8 - 10 cords per year.

Figure 3 - 5 cords per stove per year, depending on heat load and size of stove. I'm running two big (3.0 cu.ft.) stoves, with very high heat load, so I'm at 8 - 10 cords per year.

I've got a 2650 square foot home in coastal Washington state where temperatures are moderate. The place has an open floor plan and is well insulated. I'm running a Blaze King Ashford. With all those positive factors, I'm hoping to get by on 2.5 to 3 cords a year at comfortable temperatures. We'll see.

I've got a 2650 square foot home in coastal Washington state where temperatures are moderate. The place has an open floor plan and is well insulated. I'm running a Blaze King Ashford. With all those positive factors, I'm hoping to get by on 2.5 to 3 cords a year at comfortable temperatures. We'll see.
Use your prior oil, gas, or electric use, combined with some estimated system efficiency, to calculate your previously produced BTU's per year. Then multiply by maybe 1.3 - 1.5, depending on how often your home and what your prior thermostat schedule was, to account for the fact that you won't be turning down the temperature in the house overnight / when you're away at work. Then divide that by your wood stove efficiency, and the BTU/cord value for the type of wood you burn, and you'll have a darn close estimate of how many cords you'll use per year.

2.5 - 3 cords a year is what we burn in an old 2000 sq ft farmhouse in the same region.

Note this thread is getting hijacked...

You're right!

You know you are a real wood burner if... you're going to look at a THIRD Jotul Firelight 12 this weekend. ;lol (Yes, it's true...)

Get a good wood boiler system for that barn.

You know you are a real wood burner if... you're going to look at a THIRD Jotul Firelight 12 this weekend.
Now that is the statement that makes me say "holy carp".......

2.5 - 3 cords a year is what we burn in an old 2000 sq ft farmhouse in the same region.

You know you're an anxious new wood burner if you routinely highjack threads to address your anxiety. :)

Heh... this is a white one, purch in 1994 and only used a few times. I hate to say it, but it I will be using it for spare parts, if I buy it.

You know... if you're sitting poolside in July, but still reading hearth.com.

image.jpg

rps20140801_164259_398.jpg
When you save the coals from the week long camping trip you just got home from, to help get the gasifier going to get the DHW up to temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashful
Couldn't do that out here. It's much too dry right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.