You Know You Are a Real Wood Burner If...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are walking to work and notice a single squarely cut pin oak branch laying on the ground and think "that's just the right size for our F3 CB firebox door"

----

AND later that night you walk the dog that way so you can take the branch up north to the cabin stove next spring!

---

(This is a true story and my first post here)

HotCoals said:
When you throw your dirty underwear(blow out) in the wood stove!

Aw man, that's going to ruin your cat for sure! :sick: ;-P

...if your referred to in your town as "the wood guy".

...if,while driving with the wife,you can't help but shout out - "Baby,look at THAT sweet woodpile!".

...if, while on antiquing on vacation, you spend hours on end looking at ancient axes and saws,and wonder about their former owners,and how much/what kind of wood they split.

......................I'm guilty of ALL of these things..........and SOOOOOO much more!

;-P

precaud said:
... if, shortly after you walk into the locker room at the health club, you hear someone say, "Do you smell something burning?"...

lolololol............one guy at work said the other day, "Dang! You smell like..........like.......BURNT WOOD!"

-Soupy1957

When in the dead of winter the sound of a furnance coming on can wake you from a sound sleep, "hey what's going on?"

santacruzbluz said:
ckarotka said:
You still look for scrounge wood while out of town or on vacation!

That's funny.

Imagine trying to pack some nice, seasoned wood you found in your suitcase to try to get it home on the airplane.

Always wondered how palm tree would do in the stove.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 377
andybaker said:
When in the dead of winter the sound of a furnance coming on can wake you from a sound sleep, "hey what's going on?"
:lol: Just happened to me this week! Too funny!

You know you are a wood burner when......

You aren't really sure if your oil furnace still works.
Or
Everytime you pick your nose you think "mmmm BBQ"

When leaving the house for 24 hours causes you to get a sick feeling in your stomach...... because you have to turn on the oil fired furnace..( me this morning)

When the first snowfall comes and you admire how pretty your stacks are with snow on them (again me this morning)

When you travel through the Alps in Europe and spend more time admiring the wood stacks of the locals than you do the mountains.

When you spot a 250 year old, giant Live Oak and you think "Man! That's a lot of BTUs!"

You know you are a wood burner when…...

You're watching the movie Avatar the only thing you can think is how many cords/btu's are in the tree of life and tell the wife "I'll need a bigger saw for that one!" :lol:

You give directions on how to get somewhere using downed tree's instead of street signs.

You're driving around with your 19 month old son and he points to piles of wood or downed tree's and goes Oooooo!

[You're driving around with your 19 month old son and he points to piles of wood or downed tree's and goes Oooooo![/quote]

Now that's funny :lol:
How about, when half the jokes you tell have a wooden theme to them.

When the sound of a loud crash in the back yard gets you excited, not worried...

wood-fan-atic said:
...if,while driving with the wife,you can't help but shout out - "Baby,look at THAT sweet woodpile!".

;-P

Also, when you make sure to take a certain route when you leave home just so you can get a quick glance at someone else's neatly stacked wood.

Or... Take a stroll to the window just to take a peek at your own wood stacks.

Being a teacher, every year I have students make projects relating to Native Americans. Invariably students bring in sticks of some sort for their projects. This year I started bringing them home to use as kindling.

jharkin said:
When the sound of a loud crash in the back yard gets you excited, not worried...

And then you look out back and wonder what parts of a Cessna will burn in a stove. :lol:

Let's see......

1> Can't help going by the stove and hand tool sections while in the big box and hardware stores to see if they have anything new or a 'better mouse trap' just to find out you already have it all!

2> See dead standing wood (especially high btu type) and think what a waste it is and telling the better half or children.. 'there must be x cords of wood in there going to waste'

3> Reading the old newspaper before using it to start a fire or better yet rummaging through the papers to read something while attending the fire.

Done all of this and a lot in this thread so far, except for 'HotCoals-underwear blow out' thing but anything's possible. Would that be a 'dung stove'? What's the btu's? LOL :)

When the new flyer from Bailey's is your favorite bathroom reading material.........

When you wonder, now and then, if you should light the pilot on the gas disposal unit (aka furnace) and fire it up to blow out the cobwebs.
Nah, spiders gotta live too.

When you get a sick feeling watching a commercial tree company truck with a LARGE "chipper " being towed.

Subscribing. Keep'em comin

When you look forward to an oil delivery...just so you can figure out how much you have saved.

When you time the oil delivery guy, seeing if it takes him longer to drag that fat A$S hose, then it does to top off your tank.

When your waiting for the storm that will take down that nice big oak limb that hangs over your property from your neighbors tree. just so you can cut it up.

When you come home and stop in the driveway just to stare at the stack. thinking i gotta add more.

1) When you wake up to use the men's room in the middle of night.... and figure, why not toss another log or two onto the fire.

2) When you hear the oil burner fire up (and it waked you up) before you were planning on getting up, but get out of bed anyways to fire up the stove.

3) you get annoied when the oil heat is turned from 62 to 63.... but dont mind when the wood stove is keeping the place at 68

4) Haul wood 60 miles from your parents place... not sure if the economy of it adds up then!

5) HAPPILY pay the guy dropping off my wood but hate paying the oil companies for the ripoff they market as "oil"

[quote author="maverick06" date="1291522922"]
4) Haul wood 60 miles from your parents place... not sure if the economy of it adds up then!
What the hay, you were going that way anyways :)

When you have 2 neighbors in a row, who burn wood, and the first one has smoke coming out of his chimney, and you know he's doing a reload. Smoke ends quickly. Comments not alot of smoke that he sees coming from mine these days. He's been burning for 5 years.

The second one has a 1980's "slammer" and burns wet wood, Always has smoke. He's a fireman. Wonders why I have so much wood stacked and ready. He splits as needed.

When in the summer you almost crash your car checking out women, and in the winter you almost crash when your checking out someone's wood stack

Status
Not open for further replies.