You Know You Are A Real Wood Burner When...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fossil said:
If it fits in the stove, it's pretty. If it doesn't fit in the stove it's ugly...until you make it pretty. A little cosmetic wood surgery is all it takes. Rick

Cosmetic wood surgery? :lol:

when you can't wait for the weekend to work harder cutting and spliting wood that you do at your regular day job. Also when the neibor across the street caught the pyro bug from you and you take him to your favorite cutting spot. Passed the love of burning on to my oldest son. NEW STOVE YESTERDAY.

PS my back is still not able to stock the wood box, my wife did it again this morning before going to work, and the weekend is coming. My oldest son has my saw and said if I drive the woods truck he will cut, load and unload today but it will be for his new stove.

You know you are a real wood burner when your 12 year old complains that it is cold in the house and puts on a sweatshirt, and the temp in there 70*.

When he says
"you look so pretty tending the stove"
(That's the que someone needs some attention, me thinks)

AP- Someone asking you to make their urn is such an honor!

oconnor said:
For my fellow Canucks - When you get the Canadian Tire flyer, and only look for axes, not car parts and other tools (PS - Moisture meters and laser thermometers are half price this week!!!)

Does Canadian Tire have a web site & do they do internet sales. If so,please pm me with their web site url.

I live in Conn, usa, so i don't have any other way to get this info so please PM me.

eernest4 said:
Does Canadian Tire have a web site & do they do internet sales. If so,please pm me with their web site url.

I live in Conn, usa, so i don't have any other way to get this info so please PM me.

Google is now available in the U.S. since the election. :lol:

www.canadiantire.ca

Deadon said:
when you can't wait for the weekend to work harder cutting and spliting wood that you do at your regular day job. Also when the neibor across the street caught the pyro bug from you and you take him to your favorite cutting spot. Passed the love of burning on to my oldest son. NEW STOVE YESTERDAY.

PS my back is still not able to stock the wood box, my wife did it again this morning before going to work, and the weekend is coming. My oldest son has my saw and said if I drive the woods truck he will cut, load and unload today but it will be for his new stove.

I was just thinking to myself how lucky you are to have a family to help you with the wood choirs. I am 60 & retired & i do it all just by myself, unelse I decide to hire help.
I just buried the last of my family in may ,this year.

You are truely blessed.

When a customer at work says arent you the saw guy!

BrotherBart said:
eernest4 said:

Google is now available in the U.S. since the election. :lol:

www.canadiantire.ca

Thank You Brother Bart----------is it just me , or do you ever notice that google sends you down 20 to 30 dead ends before you sometimes find what you were actually looking for.
With 56.6 modem this seach can sometimes take upwards of a hour to do, especially when you have 2 wait 20 min for a web page that you find out you didn't even want to look at, just to find out you didn't want to go there.agrevating!

You know you're a woodburner when you stand in front of your stove, hand behind your back in the warming position while watching TV in August.

you know you are a wood burner when your freshly washed socks still contain wood splinters
enbeded in the fabric , just ready to stick you in the bottom of your feet.

All the other clothes you wear while splitting are that way ,too!!!

You find wood chips floating in the washing machine.

Your pockets are full of chain saw dust.

You frequently have to pick wood splinters out of your underwear!!

Your friends all park across the street now & walk over, instead of parking in your drive way because they all got flat tires from wood splinters, dispite your continuing efforts to sweep up the splinters.

Just in case your wondering, wood splinters come from breaking up wood pallets with an assortment of different wieghts of sledgehammers. I usually break up 4 to 6 pallets a day, for my morning extercise, for going on 2 years now.

...when you see another guy driving down off the mountain (on the National Forest) with a load of wood and you feel the urge to run out to the road to see what he's got, and where he got it. (You fear he might have cut one of "your" trees.)

.. when you actually begin to believe $155 (+shipping) for a hand-forged maul "isn't that bad".

.... when you really want to understand : free water vs. bound water, hygroscopic, free hydroxyl groups, fiber saturation point, mechanisms for moisture movement, etc..
:-S

When you don't buy wood by the truckload but chainsaws.

IMG_2460.jpg

Looks to me like more than a face cord of saws...I think she's a bit overloaded. Drive carefully! Rick

When you tell a woman at the bar you have some serious wood, ask her if she wants to see & feel it, then take her home and show her your wood stacks all proud like.
;)

...when your girlfirend tells you that all you ever talk about is "wood stuff"even though you didn't realize that you were talking about wood. it's just normal conversation for you.

... when you haven't split or cut wood since the last time you washed your cloths, yet every pair of socks you own still has craploads of wood chips in them.

... when your girlfriend asks what do you want for christmas and you say husqvarna chainsaw chaps, and a chain sharpening guide.

... when every single time someone pulls into your neighbors driveway you run to a window to make sure nobody is stealing your wood.

... when your scrounged woodpile get so big, that every time you're out splitting, 3 people stop to ask, "where the hell'd you get all that wood?/can i buy some of that wood?"

... when you're in the market for a 10 ton dump truck, just so that you wont miss out on that next big score of scoungable wood.

.....When, on the trial bus ride for the first day of Kindergarten your wife is pointing out all the familiar places to your daughter so she will feel comfortable on her first day of school....and the wife says "That's meme's house and that's the post office....and whats that honey ...as she is pointing to the new school and your daughter jumps and says ...."look daddy, more wood"

When, after throwing in a couple of splits, you sit crosslegged to watch the fire come to life...

With your back to the TV.

For 30 minutes.

And your wife repeats your name three times with a raised voice to get your attention. And you don't respond.

She changes the channel to ESPN, calls out your name, again, turns the volume up.

And you vaguely hear something calling and you think you become attentive.

Whereupon you begin to talk lovingly to her as you reflect on the different types of wood you are thinking of using for the overnight, the outside temp, the stacking patterns, and....

Ops, she went to bed a few minutes ago. And the TV is off.

And you sit there a bit longer.

But not until checking eMail, then logging into hearth.com and posting this response.

Then passing the stove on your way to bed, you sit down crosslegged to watch the fire and...

You finally arrange a time for your father to help install your insert purchased in August and you pass a house with rounds stacked by the road and wonder "can I fit an insert, liner, tools, and the rounds in the back of the truck"?

Kevin.

When you call the propane co. and tell them to come get that big ugly tank off your property for the 3rd time!! :mad:

When you need to keep the butter dish in the fridge all winter so the butter wont melt.

Status
Not open for further replies.