You Know You Are A Real Wood Burner When...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's when, on a really cold night, a guy says he's going out to "see a man about a horse", when he really just wants to go out and get a good hit of frosty woodsmoke.

When during the shoulder season you check the 15 day forcast every 4 hours hoping it'l change colder.

When you constantly end up sleeping under just a sheet because Accuweather blew it and missed the low temp forecast by ten degrees. Again.

When you are in a clothing store, that has some log pieces stacked in an ornate fashion for a display, and you point out to the wife that there's 3-4 days firewood just sitting there.

You then proceed to ask the store manager when the display is coming down and if anyone has laid claim to the wood.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
...... you make a career out of processing and delivering wood.

I don't see the word "burn" in there anywhere, Lee. :p Rick

fossil said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
...... you make a career out of processing and delivering wood.

I don't see the word "burn" in there anywhere, Lee. :p Rick

I think I just got burned! :eek:hh:

You know you're a real wood burner when you are totally oblivious that "lighting up" could also have a very different meaning.

Yeah man!

Then again, maybe you remember "lighting up" while working on that wood pile and wondering why it has a ramshackle look to it.

lazeedan said:
when it's November and you are disapointed by 70 degree days.
Great thread, I'm probably a bit late to the party (as always) but that is funny! One of many of course. :lol:

...you don't have hair on the back of your hands from November to May every year.

.....you get in the car in the morning to go to work and notice your hands smell like woodsmoke from reloading the stove on the way out the door.

.....you keep sniffing the back of your hand on the way to work and find it relaxing!

Chris

When you say, "oooohhhhh, secondary burn achieved!!" and your wife runs into the family room with burn cream and gauze. I can't figure out if I should be flatter she cares about my well being or upset because she doesn't care about the Jotul.

When you can tell the moisture by touch and smell and don't need a moisture meter or laser thermometer.

Redox said:
.....you get in the car in the morning to go to work and notice your hands smell like woodsmoke from reloading the stove on the way out the door.

.....you keep sniffing the back of your hand on the way to work and find it relaxing!

Chris

Have you been spying on me?!?!?!?!?!?

You know you are a real wood burner when your sister in law drops in crying because she needs someone to talk to about her really messy divorce, and you say "talk to me in the basement while i reload the woodstove", and 30 min later you don't know what she said because you were busy making sure it "took off"...

:coolgrin:

When you've read everyone of these posts as a relative newbie, and think to youself " These people are really cool." & " Maybe I'll be just like them by next shoulder season."

When your wife is in the middle of cleaning the kitchen windows and mentions when you walk by that "the windows needed a good cleaning" ... and you instinctively get offended and remind her that once it gets up to cruising temp they'll clear right up.

When it is 35 degrees F outside, and the wife goes with you to reload the wood wagon from the HH, you pull the tarp off the top and it causes a couple of gallons of ice cold water to run down her shirt.

When you're sitting here at work freezing on a cold rainy day wishing you were at home in front of the stove with the wife and kids.

When your wood stove and it's glass is cleaner than your truck!

When your five year old son builds you a bunch of lincoln log houses and you take a look and see that each home has a chimney and its own neat little stack of wood nearby.

I am a newbie, but I think I already have my kid hooked!

Lisa
Clydesdale insert

When you get a dirty look from co-working riding with you because of your angry tone of voice as you pass a tree trimmers grinding up the tree branches for mulch as you say "what a senseless waste of good wood".

When you are scoping out warehouses for broken wood pallets (skids) and loading them up in the pouring rain.

When you check out the wood stoves every time you go to the hardware store

Status
Not open for further replies.