You know you are in the snowbelt when...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsBrew

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
9598ad8d-3d2d-45d3-8888-6ac442e7f124_zps8f320203.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
I thought those were everywhere...

This is what you see in the snow belt..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371988673604.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371988673604.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 165
Devils brew, we have those signs in our town......;)
Funny thing is we just haven't had a real storm in a couple of years....we're overdue!:p

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yep... same here, Scotty!

Reactions: ScotO
Im about 75 mi. south of the snow belt here then it dips down headed towards PA. Funny how it is actually is a belt cause we dont get near the snow (with a normal weather pattern) as just above us and eastward.
Seems like alot of our bad summer storms follow that belt also. tornados, hail, high winds....

Yes sir, Calumet. Went to school at MTU in Houghton, spent many a day at Mt. Bohemia in Lac La Belle, drove past that sign all the time.
Luckily that record was set long before i ever got there. Long before i was born even, i think...

Yes sir, Calumet. Went to school at MTU in Houghton, spent many a day at Mt. Bohemia in Lac La Belle, drove past that sign all the time.
Luckily that record was set long before i ever got there. Long before i was born even, i think...

Was just looking for a better photo of that sign, and found a list of snowfall records at Michigan Tech. Two that stood out were:

• Jan 2004: 105.5"
  • Dec 1978: 118.9"
Now, those are monthly totals, not a single storm. Still, that's some snow!

It's been a while since I was at Houghton or Calumet. I'd like to get back but probably many changes there too and won't recognize a lot of places.

And not too far from there is the MI record for snowfall in a winter and it is well over 300".

Status
Not open for further replies.