You know your Rutland stove-top thermometer is broken when....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Your blower hadn't been turning on till it said 350-400 for 5-10 minutes, and now the blower turns on when the thermometer reads 200....

Is there any type of magnetic stove top thermometer that will not be a waste of my money? :)

What you may know is that the snap disk that runs the blower is shot?

Hmm, where is that located? Honestly, my blower always was taking at least 20 minutes to turn on, so I could accept that too. However, the stove is currently behaving as if its at 450-500 degrees (I just had full-firebox secondaries for a few minutes) even though the thermometer is reading 300. So i'm still fairly certain I've got a thermometer issue...

The needle / race for it could just be gunked up w/ soot / dust.

I can't speak for your thermometer but I can say my rutland's have been moved around a bunch because I'm just that sort of curious nerd and I like to see what my stove is doing in different places.

As that goes, last week I dropped one and it became a bit sticky (it believed everything in the world was 350 °F and was sticky before and I didn't trust it which is why I was moving it but the drop certainly didn't help any)

So, just before I tossed it into the waste I decided to autopsy the old girl out of respect to her good service.

Wouldn't you know but after I pulled the needle off I couldn't find a damn thing wrong with her other than my less than steady hand must have pushed the pin for the indicator a bit out of place.

I cleaned everything w/ a pipe cleaner, added some graphite powder, and put it back together at a reading I thought matched room temp. I put it on the stove and check it w/ the IR thermometer and saw it was reading about 25 degrees high so I pulled it off, let it cool a readjusted.

She's been working like a champ since.

Doesn't hurt to try if you are the curious sort.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.