1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

You Know You're Old When...

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by piejam, Feb 4, 2012.

1. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I don't think this generalization is a realistic assessment of what our culture has to offer. There may well be a tendency on the part of many to deny death to some extent (especially among those who've yet to experience the loss of a loved one), and a failure on the part of some folks to understand the needs of people who have experienced such a loss. At the same time, however, there are scads of excellent grief/bereavement support resources available to anyone who chooses to reach out to them. They're not at all difficult to find. My local Hospice offers such services (facilitated groups, individual counseling, ongoing casual get-togethers & potlucks) to anyone in the community, free of charge. I've found that taking advantage of some of what they have to offer has been very helpful in my personal journey through this all-new (to me) territory. There's no real substitute that I know of for talking with people I trust and who I know have walked in my shoes...in a comfortable, quiet, private setting. These opportunities are out there, one simply has to look around. Rick

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kenny chaos

kenny chaos Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,ny
    I used to be a charmer. Now I'm a creeper?
  3. piejam

piejam Member

Kenny I think your spelling is wrong..its a KEEPER....
  4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Hey Pie, death of a spouse is beyond tough, but somewhere out there is someone that will benefit from your strength & experience someday. Your experience & wisdom may be what gets someone through the seemingly impossible. You may or may not know the life you touch, but someone does.

As far as age & attractive & all that stuff, a sense of humor & love of life & others is attractive period. The rest is a bunch of TV commercials for people that haven't quite "got it" yet. Keep smilin! A C

PS get those rugs cleaned, or not, I mean really is it gonna matter that much in the long run? :)
  5. kenny chaos

Loc:
    Rochester,ny

You are a very kind woman. Some might suggest, too kind.
    Thank you-
    Kenny
    P.S.- I like pie, a lot. :red:
  6. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Go ahead & create one D !! I'm sure it would work :)
  7. piejam

piejam Member

Got you fooled Kenny....lol...I do have an evil side...well not evil but definitely devilish....

Hey AC-after reading your post I'm smilin' ear to ear-be good

I must be a nice girl the Jehovah Witnesses brought me a bouquet of flowers yesterday..they remember the mourning colored wreaths on my front door last year...I don't close the door in their faces.. instead I thank them for doing god's work..

I'm not church going but am god fearing so to speak...

Rick-Thanks..I'm aware you know exactly..still feel like a took a torpedo in mid ship...I'm getting better, really I am..just pissed off that something I cherished was taken away not given up!!!!

Any more old fart stories??????
  8. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I got to much to do to worry about getting old, and I'm 53. So screw dat [​IMG]

I have more of a problem, by getting called "Sir". Work boots, jeans, barn jacket, and a hat, gets me called sir often. Now that ticks me off [​IMG]
  9. piejam

piejam Member

Hey Dixie,

You are too much...I figure between crankin up the stove since it's past sundown and the community is been busy talking to me, I would hold off on the thread..People are busy now and I've tied them up enough already!!!

I love them one and all for responding...nothing but smiles today thanks to hearth.com.....
  10. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    You know your getting old when you have no idea who any of the young celebrities are. Me, I like that Tom Hanks fellow. :lol:
  11. kenny chaos

Loc:
    Rochester,ny

That's okay. I can't really eat pie anymore. :lol:
    "Honey? Where's my teefe?"

Here's my favorite real old people song.
    WARNING- kinda sad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ85Hep0kD0
  12. piejam

piejam Member

Thank you Kenny...its all part of living..no tears here just melancholy...
  13. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Seriously. I just discovered who "Adele" was, thanks to zap :)

I like Tom Hanks, always have. Bosom Buddies [​IMG]
  14. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    ...when you shave your Dad's face in the morning....
    When the HELL did THAT happen?
  15. snowleopard

snowleopard New Member

Geeze louize, when did John Prine get old????
  16. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Snow, I got news for ya.. Sam Elliott is old, damn it !
  17. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Yep, I know I'm gettin old cause the barber has to trim the hair outta the nose & ears, & just polishes my head.
  18. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I know I'm getting old when my coworkers are my stepson's age, and when I realize that I am telling stories about stuff that happened 25 years ago! ...And I'm not even as old as Gamma!
  19. piejam

piejam Member

HAHA....you guys crack me up....AARP must be mind readers..Just got a letter about long term insurance!! wtf can't catch a break today....

I must be getting up there I remember:

Burns and Allen
    Reel Camp
    Joe Franklin(on TV not radio- thank u very much)
    The Ann Southern and The Gale Storm Shows
    William Bendix as Chester C Riley
    The People's Choice
    My Little Margie
    Mitch Miller
    The Alan Burke Show

I better let you ppl get some REST......lol oh yeah I forgot about Topper w/Leo G Carroll and Shirley Booth as Hazel....
  20. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    F Troop Corporal Argarn & Jane.

Snaggle Puss ... exit stage left !

Sandy Becker ... break the station

Captain Jack Mcarthy

Under Dog !

Sonny Fox doin' "Wonderama"
  21. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    As I was laying in bed this morning, waiting for my body to regain the ability to respond to the brain's commands, I realized that age truly is nothing but a number. When my parents were the age that I am now, they were no where near as active as I. I actually bolted out of bed to start the day.

(99 woke up immediately due to the commotion and helped me off the floor, gave me a heating pad to help bring the circulation back into my legs, and fed me a few pain pills!!!)
  22. piejam

piejam Member

Hey Dix,

Do ya remember coco-marsh??? haha
    Winchell Mahoney and Knucklehead Smith
    Romper Room

I have an older sister..only one tv in the house..That's why I remember all the 50's sitcoms..she would not let me watch my cartoons..

She would watch My Little Margie and was into Mighty Mouse with the Mario Lanza type singing..then he had all his mouse Hotties with lil high heels....

Even appear on Bozo the Clown on WPIX..my friend's mother was a secretary for MGM and we would get free passes...

I remember getting mad when JFK was shot cause no cartoons- all regular programing was interrupted to broadcast his funeral...

Air raid exercises where we would get under our desks in school..teacher would pull down these hugh green shades on oversized windows....lol...desks had inkwells!!!

Cookie monitors with milk and snacks...with my father watchin Alan Burke its no wonder I left home at 17.....I also loved Soupy Sales...told ya I was twisted....lol
  23. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Amos and Andy. Soupy Sales, 3 Stooges, original Jack Benny, Milton Berle, and 1 cent post cards. Oy, my bonz R creakin.
  24. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Red Skelton
    Bonanza
    Walt Disney
    Art Linkletter
    Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom
    The Beatles original appearance on Ed Sullivan

Watching news about the Viet Nam war as a child and not paying attention too much; until you were old enough to register (for the draft, not selective service) and the war was still going on...

penny candy
    Getting a quarter for treats and being able to but a bottle of pop-.10; full size candy bar-.05; ice cream bar-.05; bag of ships or pack of gum-.05!!!
  25. piejam

piejam Member

Very Good BG....lol

I do remember Amos and Andy, Abbott and Costello with Mr Fields and Mike the Cop...slowly I turn....step by step...susquehanna hat co...

And what about Heckel and Jeckal...yes I remember Uncle Milty,,Art Linkletter and Kids Say the Darndest Things

Some of this stuff I watched when it wasn't in syndicated reruns...Wholly Shhhhhh.........