You Know You're Old When...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
piejam said:
Very Good BG....lol

I do remember Amos and Andy, Abbott and Costello with Mr Fields and Mike the Cop...slowly I turn....step by step...susquehanna hat co...

And what about Heckel and Jeckal...yes I remember Uncle Milty,,Art Linkletter and Kids Say the Darndest Things

Some of this stuff I watched when it wasn't in syndicated reruns...Wholly Shhhhhh.........

Oh wait The Loretta Young Theatre..dammit the beatles were usually on at 8:45pm Eddie kiss me good nite!!!! lol...followed by the Hollywood Palace! sunday nites

who could forget clem kididdlehopper? I even like fracture fairytales(rocky and bullwinkle) mr peabody....

We drank out of the hoses, and had no ill effects :)

I'm a greybeard when I grow my beard. About 3 years ago I was in a farm & barn store & walking past a young mother & her 2 kids in her cart. They were wondering to her if I was santa & she said no, I was one of his helpers. I felt like saying to the kids, if your real good there's a pony in it for you, Randy

In a virtual instant I went from seeming the youngest in my crowd (and in business) to seeming like "one of the peeps", which means about normal aged.....and then to grandpa and noticing that EVERYONE except the folks with walkers is younger than me! Pilots, for instance, used to have a touch of grey and look distinguished, now they look right out of college. The damn surgeons look like they party every friday and saturday night!

I just returned from a couple days on the west coast of FL...wow, talk about feeling old. Everyone is old. Old is the new new.

Thanks Dix that was great...Having Pie on your face has a totally different meaning in this day and age!!!!lol

Oh how could I not mention Dobie Gillis and Maynard.....

Hello Craig,

All I can say is I been having a lot of fun and now I'm a hearth.com junkie..lol..........

piejam said:
Thanks Dix that was great...Having Pie on your face has a totally different meaning in this day and age!!!!lol

Oh how could I not mention Dobie Gillis and Maynard.....

Ya can't. plain & simple.

And start that Super Bowl Menu Thread, please............. OR I will.

It's your call, GF !!
'
I'm making this Bobby Flat guac recipe, involving roasted corn...............

Dix,

Do me a favor and start it...my sides are splittin with laughter...just ran to the ladies room before I had an accident...Haven't laughed so hard in about a year...feels great.

I'm gonna do wings marinaded in hot sauce laced with lime juice and the juice from some chipotle peppers..some mexican beer 6 layer taco dip

went to whole foods in Lake Grove picked up black beans/cilantro to make a salad..gas passers special....and their lo salt tortilla chips-what a store...no kids

Oh yeah on more thing...doesn't seem funny that your ears get bigger as you age..or is it that your darn head is shrinking

Fifteen years ago, checking out a library book, I asked the young librarian, "Can you check my file and see if I have read this book?" We don't keep records like that says she, "What I recommend for older patrons, is they put their initials next to the date stamp after they have read a book."

Went back to the office with my tail between my legs. We had received a new word processing program. Misspell a word and suggestions popped up. Started typing some notes and entered my last name. The spell checker automatically flagged my name and made only one suggestion - moron. That was it. Told the secretary I was done for the day.

Went from young and vital to old moron in one morning.

Our youngest still plays sports. Now, however, many team families are strangers. I get the question, "So, what's your grandson's number?" I just give his number while my wife stifles herself. She forgets the implication that she is a grandma. Which I diplomatically do not point out. I may be old, but I am not dumb.

I was the only passenger scheduled on a puddlejumper airlines flight out to a village, and saw a young crewman walking back from the plane to the hanger. He saw me, and detoured in and said, "We'll be leaving in a few minutes, I just have to grab something first."
Realizing I had mistaken the pilot for a kid with an after-school job, I asked, "That would be your comics?"
He had the grace to laugh, and told me something I've never forgotten. He said, "The young pilots are the safest to ride with. The old ones drive planes like a Buick, but the young ones are like ten-year-old kids on bikes. They take them to the limits and find out what they can do--they know where the edges are." When we were settled in our seats, he turned to me and said, "Estimated travel time is 25 minutes"--shaving ten minutes off the travel time of all the other pilots I'd flown that route with. And he was right.

I learned to recognize when he was landing by the way he buzzed the vill before he went to the airport. Even the kids in the village would look up and say, "That's Jay."

Dang whippersnappers. They sure make the world more fun, though, don't they?

Good Morning All,

Just wanted to say thanks again..had the time of my life yesterday..Enjoyed reading all the posts, each and every one..really made me laugh..think this thread took more hits that the rules for the nook..haha...didn't expect that one....

Loved finding out who remembered what sitcoms they enjoyed./old fart stories...I never grew up..still love cartoons..too many unmentioned to list here but I hated Gumby, Mr Roger's Neighborhood and Casper..I was more your Bettie Boop type...couple years later got evil and watched Soupy Sales when dear ole dad wasn't around! My father's head could not handle " girls who where their skirts too short have...." or his old line about being at a baseball game..It's a little( ok its a lot) crude and vulgar..If your too young to remember PM me and I'll fill in the blanks...Remember when he got suspended from tv? Asking kids to mail that greenback paper their parents had-kids actually did it...

White Fang and Blacktooth were puppets on his show...rah uuu rah uuu rah uuu rah..The Muppets were christian tv in comparison...Phil Silvers is another one..Family hour of course Bachelor Father, My Three Sons, Father Knows Best, Ozzie and Harriett, Donna Reed, Dr Kildare...I better give it a rest!!! So very much comes to mind.

Good Luck to all you football fans..Going into stealth mode now cause love you guys too much to expose you to my latent maniacal tendencies!!!!! I'll still be here in read only if you wish to continue to post for all to enjoy....

Regards-D Hearth.com=pueblo magico!!!!!

snowleopard said:
I was the only passenger scheduled on a puddlejumper airlines flight out to a village, and saw a young crewman walking back from the plane to the hanger. He saw me, and detoured in and said, "We'll be leaving in a few minutes, I just have to grab something first."
Realizing I had mistaken the pilot for a kid with an after-school job, I asked, "That would be your comics?"
He had the grace to laugh, and told me something I've never forgotten. He said, "The young pilots are the safest to ride with. The old ones drive planes like a Buick, but the young ones are like ten-year-old kids on bikes. They take them to the limits and find out what they can do--they know where the edges are." When we were settled in our seats, he turned to me and said, "Estimated travel time is 25 minutes"--shaving ten minutes off the travel time of all the other pilots I'd flown that route with. And he was right.

I learned to recognize when he was landing by the way he buzzed the vill before he went to the airport. Even the kids in the village would look up and say, "That's Jay."

Was this by any chance an ERA flight?

snowleopard said:

I think he wanted to hook up with you.

piejam said:
Good Morning All,

Just wanted to say thanks again..had the time of my life yesterday..Enjoyed reading all the posts, each and every one..really made me laugh..think this thread took more hits that the rules for the nook..haha...didn't expect that one....

Loved finding out who remembered what sitcoms they enjoyed./old fart stories...I never grew up..still love cartoons..too many unmentioned to list here but I hated Gumby, Mr Roger's Neighborhood and Casper..I was more your Bettie Boop type...couple years later got evil and watched Soupy Sales when dear ole dad wasn't around! My father's head could not handle " girls who where their skirts too short have...." or his old line about being at a baseball game..It's a little( ok its a lot) crude and vulgar..If your too young to remember PM me and I'll fill in the blanks...Remember when he got suspended from tv? Asking kids to mail that greenback paper their parents had-kids actually did it...

White Fang and Blacktooth were puppets on his show...rah uuu rah uuu rah uuu rah..The Muppets were christian tv in comparison...Phil Silvers is another one..Family hour of course Bachelor Father, My Three Sons, Father Knows Best, Ozzie and Harriett, Donna Reed, Dr Kildare...I better give it a rest!!! So very much comes to mind.

Good Luck to all you football fans..Going into stealth mode now cause love you guys too much to expose you to my latent maniacal tendencies!!!!! I'll still be here in read only if you wish to continue to post for all to enjoy....

Regards-D Hearth.com=pueblo magico!!!!!

AH! the great Soupy Sales: "My girlfriend can't make apple pie, but she sure can make my B_ _ _ _a C _ _ _m"................................ Remember him well.

Ok I had to do this...LMAO BIG TIME thanks BB....

Please excuse me while I change my depends pants..........do the mouse.....

snowleopard said:
Geeze louize, when did John Prine get old????

I always thought John P. had an "old soul." May he live forever!

Physically, the throat cancer probably didn't help.

True story-

My wife is soooo old............

Last week I was on line getting health insurance quotes for her and instead
of giving a four digit number for the year she was born, I just entered the last two digits.
It came back, "We're sorry. We cannot give quotes on anyone over 130 years of age." :lol:

rottiman said:
Was this by any chance an ERA flight?

No. That would be the leg of the journey that after we'd take the Alaska Airlines flight and then the ERA flight. ERA flights generally have two pilots and multiple passengers, and the passengers don't sit in the front seat next to a pilot chatting with them during the flight.

I've heard villages referred to by the number of flights you have to take to get there. This was a three-airplane village.

One of my favorite memories in flying on that airlines was coming to a cut between two mountains with a wall of white between them. I asked the pilot, "We're going through that?" and he said in his Scots-Alabama brogue, "Are you afraid?" I asked, "Are you?" "Not a bit." "Then neither am I." And we did.

ETA: and that pilot also had hair that looked like Santa's beard.

I was talking with a woman I know a few days ago. Her husband is in the Middle East right now, and she and their six kids (toddler to 7th grade) are holding down the fort (probably an 180 degrees F temp swing between souses some days). She gave me a lead on some firewood, praised the quality of it, and said, "We don't buy it split, though. We went shares on a splitter and the kids and I split it and stack it ourselves. The kids really like splitting--supervised, of course. But you could ask him if he splits, if you want to buy it that way. He might not split--he's 71."

John: "Someday I'll go and call up Rudy. We worked together at the factory. What do I tell him when he asks what's new? Nothing, what's with you?"
Rudy: "I sold 20 cords of firewood last week from that land I cleared a few years ago. Cleared $4K after I paid for that new saw. Missus and I are going skorkling in the Cayman Islands in March. You guys wanna come?"

And just for the record, I might buy from him, but I will NOT ask a 71 year old man to split my firewood for me. I would be embarrassed to do that. Unless he's really hot. Then I might.

I used to be young and cool . . . OK . . . I used to be young . . . but at some point I got old.

I knew who Madonna was during last night's half time show . . . didn't know anyone else performing . . . fortunately I have some younger friends who still have not grown too old and know these things.

A good time for me used to be dinner, going to the movies and staying out late on a Saturday night . . . nowadays a good Saturday evening is take out at the Chinese restaurant, a DVD from Netflix and falling asleep in front of the woodstove before 9 p.m.

You remember this theme song

What a mouse!

snowleopard said:
....and the passengers don't sit in the front seat next to a pilot chatting with them during the flight.....
Decades ago in the Caroline Islands the old missionary pilot sez either of you a pilot? The other guy says yes. Missionary pilot says good, get in the right seat, my heart acts up sometimes on these flights. The trip was five hundred miles across the Pacific! An hour or so in he starts fooling with some radio. Buddy asks what's up. He sez trying to tune in Yap AM radio, that is how I navigate. I about crapped since I knew the power plant in Yap that week was providing power to half of Colonia for two hours then switching to the other half of town for two hours. So we had a 50% chance of having a radio beacon. When we got in range it turned out to be our lucky day. That old fart was dead reckoning across the ocean with a bad heart. Guess he wanted to meet his maker. The thought crossed my mind to help him out with that.

I was running a hospital construction job on Yap at the time and asked one of the doctors about the old guy. He said yes he is a patient of mine. I guess he no longer had FCC creds so he went on a mission with his plane. Thought about turning him in to someone, but he was flying sick kids and such in from the outer islands to get them medical care, so I dithered. Didn't crash while I was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.