You might be a Rdneck if......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clr8ter

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2010
Southern NH
You end your day covered in hydraulic fluid. Courtesy of a Piss-Poorly designed return line on a TS Huskee Log Splitter. Which, BTW, is a very good machine other than this one flaw.....

I really, really need to change the pressure line on my splitter. I sit in fear when I am splitting afraid that the 1988 hose is gonna go any minute.

Well, until the second beer.

There have been reports of Huskee return lines coming off. The problem seems to be that the TSC employee who builds them may not tighten the clamp enough, or he tightens them too much and they cut into the hose.

I would have preferred that the return line have real hydraulic fittings instead of hose clamps, but that return line is relatively low pressure and has performed okay on my 1.5 year old Huskee 35-ton.

BrotherBart said:
I really, really need to change the pressure line on my splitter. I sit in fear when I am splitting afraid that the 1988 hose is gonna go any minute.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=hydraulic&keyword=HHND

I have always been happy with this company (over thirty years).

A pinhole leak in a hydraulic hose can act like a laser beam to flesh.

Never, under any circumstances, "feel" for a leak.

BrotherBart said:

I have that same fear too with the old splitter I inherited from my grandpa. I have just about all I need to start building my own splitter. And am seriously thinking of having all the pressure hoses run behind shields. When oil is injected into the skin it has to be cut out! not just cleaned up.

Billy

Dune said:
BrotherBart said:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=hydraulic&keyword=HHND

I have always been happy with this company (over thirty years).

A pinhole leak in a hydraulic hose can act like a laser beam to flesh.

Never, under any circumstances, "feel" for a leak.

I've had good experiences with surpluscenter, but for hydraulic hoses, I have an even bigger favorite:

baumhydraulics.com can supply just about any hydraulic hose or fitting (or rebuild parts for cylinders, valves, etc) very fast and at a really favorable price.

Alternatives are always good to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.