You might be a Redneck if.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clr8ter

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2010
Southern NH
You end your day covered in hydraulic oil. Courtesy of a Piss-Poorly designed return line on a Huskee (from TS, log splitter. Which, BTW, is an excellent machine aside from this one flaw......

oldspark said:
What is the design flaw

It has a high flow hydraulic pump attached to hydraulic fittings, hoses and components that need to be diligently inspected and maintained to avoid hydraulic showers :lol:

No offense intended clr8ter, I've had my share of hydraulic showers.

clr8ter said:
You end your day covered in hydraulic oil. Courtesy of a Piss-Poorly designed return line on a Huskee (from TS, log splitter. Which, BTW, is an excellent machine aside from this one flaw......

This is a baptism of sorts. :)

Welcome to "The Group' (different splitter though!).

Shari

OK, I am going to do that because of the posts here, I bought a new snowblower 3 years ago that had parts falling off for a while.

Yup. Sooner or later most folks who work around hydraulics get baptized.

The flaw was that the return line got all soft & spongy, like old hoses on an engine. Machine is only a few years old. I saw the problem coming, it was coming apart at the fitting next to the oil filter. So, I rented it from someone I know, so I don't want to fix it..... It comes off the fitting on the return stroke and sprayed us down. I know it's not a high pressure return, but it looks like they used the wrong hose to me. Fix was simple. Go to TS, and buy a pressure rated hose. Screw hose directly into filter housing, and use an actual hydraulic fitting on the valve, replacing the cheesy barbs & hose clamps it came with. About $30.

Lie I said, it's not mine, so I don't want to do ALL the maint. & fixing on this thing. Owner doesn't take too gooda care of it....

Why is it lately I spend a lot of time typing stuff, and then when I hit SUBMIT it says "Unable to accept your post at this time" Like I have nothing better to do than sit around typing for nothing........

Maybe it's because you've got a zillion mistakes in your post, and it's trying to save you?! Just kidding; how often do you rent and how much do you pay? I sometimes wonder if I should rent out my splitter, but then again I like it squeaky clean!

S

clr8ter said:
Machine is only a few years old..... So, I rented it from someone I know, so I don't want to fix it..... ..

Was that Huskee used as rental? Which model was that splitter?

Thanks,
Zevi

Huskee 35 Ton. Don't know specific model. Will check later if I remember. I have rented it twice, last year, and right now. I get it from someone I know, $100 for as long as I need it. I've had it for 3 weeks now. He doesn't use it much. If I was going to rent mine out, I'd get $50 a day, plus a refundable deposit, which would be less than the local rental store gets for their smaller one. Of course, liability is the biggest concern. I'd hate to have to pay for someone loosing their finger.....

And no, it was never a rental, bought new by the current owner.

You aren't a real Redneck until you pop a hose on the blade of your 1949 Cat with no cab to save you. It usually is about 175 F give or take and makes you sing really loud. Those barb and clamp rigs are cheap to replace but sure do suck for reliability. They just love to pop off.

clr8ter said:

This has happened twice to me on my Huskee 22 ton at the same spot. Can you post a picture of what you did to fix it?
My original issue was the hose seemed to soften and fold over, like it was crimping, and that sprung a leak. Spliced it, put hose back on but it didnt stay on....got the spray all over me. In a way I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one ....

That is PRECISELY what happened. Very simple to fix. Go to TS & get the 5' pressure rated hydraulic hose, 1" threads, and 1 1" threaded 90 deg fitting, and some YELLOW teflon tape. Put tape directly on 1 end of hose threads, and replace crappy fitting coming out of the filter with it. Take crappy fitting off of valve, (wedge something under valve so when you reef on it W/cheater bar, you don't break valve off), & replace W/ 90 deg fitting. Point fitting towards tow hitch to make loop in hose & line up fittings easily. Screw other end of hose into new fitting. I have not tried to use the machine vertically, the new hose is a little ridgid, but might do it if it were warm......Good luck, it should be self explanitory for the most part. (and you need some fairly big wrenches, 2 of them.)

You might be a red neck if your 880 is your go to climbing saw!

Status
Not open for further replies.