You ready for the cold?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

armanidog

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2017
Northeast Georgia
A good test of our wood stoves and inserts coming up in the next week.

Arctic air will keep the Midwest, East and South shivering into the start of 2018, with temperatures approaching record-cold levels at times.

Flint, Michigan, set an all-time December record-low temperature of 17 degrees below zero Thursday morning. Records in that location date back to 1921.

Watertown, New York, fell to minus 32 Thursday morning, which shattered its daily record for Dec. 28 of minus 23. Daily record lows for Dec. 28 were also tied Thursday morning in Toledo, Ohio (minus 8), and Paducah, Kentucky (10 degrees).

Wednesday morning, International Falls, Minnesota, set a new daily record low when temperatures plummeted to minus 36; the previous record was minus 32. It was even colder in Embarrass, Minnesota, and Cotton, Minnesota, where morning lows were 40 below zero and minus 41, respectively.

Detroit tied its daily record low of 4 below zero on Wednesday, and Alpena, Michigan, also tied its daily record low of minus 16. Additional daily record lows were set in Lincoln, Nebraska (17 below zero), and Norfolk, Nebraska (minus 15)....

A fresh batch of bitterly cold air will drop into the Midwest and spread toward the Northeast over New Year's weekend. This frigid blast could set some daily record lows in parts of those regions...

Daytime high temperatures through the holiday weekend will be in the single-digits above and below zero from the northern Plains and upper Midwest into the Great Lakes and northern New England.

The following cities may come close to seeing record-cold New Year's Day high temperatures (current standing record-cold high for Jan. 1 and the year it was set is shown):

• Boston: 10 degrees (1918)
  • Buffalo, New York: 11 degrees (1918)
  • Portland, Maine: 11 degrees (1918)
  • Providence, Rhode Island: 12 degrees (1918)
  • Grand Rapids, Michigan: 13 degrees (1968)

https://www.wunderground.com/storms...eak-forecast-midwest-east-south-new-year-2018

I brought a trailer of wood (red oak, pecan, and a little white oak) to the front porch and have it stacked. Burn, baby, burn.

It's been cold since November!!

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Yeah we are looking at 20s and 30s during the days and teens at night for the foreseeable future in Central VA.

Got my new F600 broken in and burning hot. One load of wood has me to 72 degrees inside. Outdoor temp is currently 16.

Today was when the texts for firewood deliveries started rolling in.

Reactions: ddddddden
I've got the insert running as hard as she can, but the small firebox size and vaulted ceilings are kicking my butt. The house only got up to 72 on the main floor today. The Wife has gotten used to the house being above 75f and deemed it necessary to see about getting a bigger insert. (Not going to break my heart!)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

All is ready for the cold blast! Ready to welcome the single digits this coming week. Just hoping for some additional snow in the NC mountains :)

Reactions: ThunderMedic
Here in southern Maine I had -14 yesterday morning and -24 this morning. Cold is relative huh...

I've been ready for this sence 2015... started running my kiln dried wood during the overnight burns this week and will keep running that wood till were out of the lower digits next week... been burning Hickory, red and white oak, pin oak, as well as black cherry and the split size is 6" or bigger.

On a side note my buddy stopped by yesterday. He remarked on how warm and comfortable my home is.. his house is just under 4900sqft he needs to keep his house at 66 degrees to keep his propane bill under 5 grand.. while my home is just over 3000sqft and we walk around in shorts and tshirts and the wood has cost me nothing it was all free. This is the difference between us and the non wood burners.

small firebox size and vaulted ceilings are kicking my butt. The house only got up to 72 on the main floor today.
Small firebox, no wall insulation and some air leaks in the house are thrashin' my arse big-time! :oops: I can do more weatherization which would help, but I don't know how much. 72 is just a memory but I might get 70 today if I try..supposed to hit 30* today. 66 in here now as I burn down coals to make room. No real break from the frigidity in sight for more than a week. !!!
I hear ya about getting more firepower. Cold snaps like this make me think that upgrading to the Absolute should be on the front "burner" as priorities go...

Last edited:
Been cold here for the last week. Single digit/ low teens during the day, Negatives at night. No real end in sight right now. The stoves doing ok, would be much better if I could get some insulation on the bacement walls.

I have burning nothing but cedar and soft maple till this week. I have years of locust sitting all over three years seasoned waiting for a week like this and the one coming. The worst thing I have to do is use my new tractor and grapple this weekend to restock my supply in the garage. Right now I'm looking at teens outside and 78 plus inside, even the basement. Dogs are parked in front of the stove in the basement me an my little girl are upstairs playing in shorts and a t shirt. I don't care for the cold and the snow but when weather like this does arrive, everyone here seems to be ready. I say let it get cold just more of a reason to get more firewood next year.