You snooze, you lose!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
When it comes to scrounging I live by the motto that if you don't take the wood right there and then, consider it gone. theres none of this coming back the next day.. well I just drove past a pile of what looked like chopped up oak, drove a few hundred meters up the road to the shops, came back to gather the wood and it was all gone! :eek: I was gone for 5 minutes...!!. Thats has to be a record...you snooze you lose

That stinks ! Last year I dropped an Ash tree by the road and forgot my gas like an idiot. It took about 15 minutes to get gas and come back when I got back half the tree was gone. That really ticked me off the homeowner told them to take what they wanted after telling me to take the whole tree. Well needless to say I called a buddy and we took the rest in two pickups.

Pete

Reactions: Hills Hoard
I was coming home for lunch between jobs....passed a crap load of Oak rounds along the road at a house around the corner....stopped and asked the owner of the house....she said "those b*$@rds were suppose to take the wood with them....take what you want"....so I call my buddy, and we both overload our trucks, and drop it at my house, go back for more, and there is the tree service guys yelling at each other about the missing wood......:p

I learned this my first year of scrounging. I saw a CL ad with over 20 oaks taken down and bucked about 6 miles up the road from me. I was there with in 15 of when the ad was posted. I took three loads that night and the owner promised to hold two more downed oaks for me to get on my way home from work the next day. When I showed up I could not believe someone had taken everything except a couple of large elm rounds way in the back, I passed on them and left pissed but thanked the homeowner for what I did get. I've never left a scrounge except to unload since.

Status
Not open for further replies.