You think its busy now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STOVEGUY11

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2008
SOUTHERN CT
I can not imagine how its going to be come August and September. Thats really the kick off of when it starts to get really busy. Yea maybe you sell a few stoves over the summer, but selling them everyday in June and July boggles the mind. There are going to be alot of dissapointed people come winter when they think they can just go out and buy a stove. Its going to get worse before it gets better!

From an opportunist point of view...this is great. I cannot wait for all the used stoves to hit the market in the next few years from disenchanted wood burning folks who get stuck with barely 'seasoned' wood when it arrives in the fall and realize that it is a bit of work to run a stove 24/7 for months on end. I cannot wait to see what I come up with in a year or two...

Yea Im sure you will be able to come across some beauties

Adios Pantalones said:
They aren't even thinking about wood right now. By the end of the season we may see an uptick in chimney fires :(

Oh you can bet the fire departments ain't liking this one bit. Every old stove the NorthEast is getting dusted off.

BrotherBart said:
Adios Pantalones said:
They aren't even thinking about wood right now. By the end of the season we may see an uptick in chimney fires :(

Oh you can bet the fire departments ain't liking this one bit. Every old stove the NorthEast is getting dusted off.

Already had a few folks at work talking like that. 'Have had the house for 10 years and we never used it b/c we did not need it. I guess we will call someone to take a look at it'. I cannot imagine how busy the sweeps will be. And in markets like this, everyone jumps in. Any handyman will be selling his chimney sweeping abilities.

I'm sure the great thinkers in the stove companies head shed know this too and are already ramping up production. I just hope in their haste to produce product no corners are cut resulting in home fires...which would bring more goverment regulation in... 'this thing of ours'.

Of course, its like subprime, they will over react and tighten and overe time it will be forgotten. Just like in the 80's when nat gas spiked. Everyone wanted a wood stove, few want the work, and when things seem normal (either price goes down or people get used to it) the stoves will be on the market.

If they haven't learned from a few years ago, I wouldn't be surprised it we saw a spike in stove defects correlating to increased production, especially on the more complex pellet stoves. Hopefully most of these will be field fixable incidents like doors not latching tightly, ashpans loose, etc.

This same rush for wood stoves happend last time the gas spiked. It came down then but from what the politicians and economist are saying now it won't come down this time.

There was a rash of woodstove induced house fires then which made the insurance companies add a surcharge for wood stove use. Ours is very low so not much of a problem and glad we are grandfathered in to avoid the upcoming tight inspections and hassles it could create. Hopefully those that tried wood and found out the work involved and hazards of improperly installed stoves and burning habits will not jump on it again.

We aren't just busy with stoves, but GAS fireplaces and inserts as well.... if this keeps up, we will be booked out a month or two for install come winter.

One of my friends is a chimney sweep in northern NY, he is currently booked 6 weeks ahead for stove installations and chimney cleanings.

People deciding to use their stove after years of neglect/not swept or inspected caused a spike in fires per a discussions I had with a couple sweeps and firefighters.
I know when I went to visit the local stove store this weekend they seemed busier with people looking at stoves than buying fishing gear, strange for a long weekend!

I hope to have mine ordered come Monday...NO LATER! Just for the reason you state.

I agree that most people that don't already have a stove/wood supply, but are planning to get one "this fall".......havent' even thought about the fact that they'll end up either not being able to assertain a stove untill Jan/Feb, and/or will end up with wet wood that won't burn worth a crap.

There's going to be a massive scurry come Oct/Nov when that first chill is felt in the air. Who ever mentioned the ant and the grasshopper hit the nail squarely on the head.

Tfin said:
There's going to be a massive scurry come Oct/Nov when that first chill is felt in the air. Who ever mentioned the ant and the grasshopper hit the nail squarely on the head.

That was me, but I am usually more of a screw guy. %-P

Heck, just look at the increased traffic here---in the middle of freekin' July no less.

Edit: last year at this time, my typing had an echo.

Jags said:
Tfin said:

That was me, but I am usually more of a screw guy. %-P

Heck, just look at the increased traffic here---in the middle of freekin' July no less.

Edit: last year at this time, my typing had an echo.

A sign of the times my man......a sign of the times.

........ever split an ant infested piece of wood.........it will be like that......PANIC CITY
Just how far have we come in the last 30-40 years..........1973....1981.....2008....exactly........and yes "the sky is falling"...run for cover....

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.