You will never believe what I found in a bag of pellets today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
can you believe its a pice of rubber i wonder how bad thid would have screwed up my pellet stove!!!

Attachments

• aces wedding.jpg
    aces wedding.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,026
Jeeze iceman, sure glad you were looking while filling. I imagine that would have really messed up my stove. What brand of pellets was this in?

Beth said:
Jeeze iceman, sure glad you were looking while filling. I imagine that would have really messed up my stove. What brand of pellets was this in?

well i looked in my stove(hopper) and there it was couldn't believe but the last bag i poured in was NE wood pellet the bag before that was future fuel
butit was right at the top so i believe it was ne wood pellet

Rubber burns up pretty easily, I would be more concerned if it were Titanium

babalu87 said:

what if it got caught in the auger?

Knowing nothing about pellet stoves, are they that fragile? Perhaps you guys should make some kind of filter on the intake somehow...

Jay

iceman said:
babalu87 said:

what if it got caught in the auger?

Attachments

• hindenburg.jpg
    hindenburg.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 696
Iceman, good thing you caught that.

I wonder if anyone else has found foreign objects in their pellets?

eh...1-1/4" would likely go right thru the auger. I can tell you what stops them tho......matchbox cars, 1/2" shock absorber bolts, sheetrock screws, nail.

Metal said:
Nice ruler!

i was hoping you wouldn't pick up on that but she did it not me

HarryBack said:
eh...1-1/4" would likely go right thru the auger. I can tell you what stops them tho......matchbox cars, 1/2" shock absorber bolts, sheetrock screws, nail.

harry i may be mistaken but is it you that recommends a 45 at termination of horizontal for pellet stove? to help draft

babalu87 said:

Would make hell of a clinker, though.

The only thing I would worry about with rubber / plastic getting into the hopper is that it would melt, and if the stove wasn't running 24/7, then it could re-solidify & stick up the auger.

hanging on a thumbtack on the corkboard above my computer is a set of keys that cycled through my stove and were found in the firepot. they were definately not my keys and had apparantly been inside a bag of pellets , i saw them sitting in there when i was cleaning out the unit , which had run out of pellets and shut down earlier. the keys did not harm the unit in any way that i can tell and it has run just fine for the 2 years since i found them there were 5 total keys , 2 were silver colored (steel i guess, and 3 brass master lock keys) the master lock keys were all melted together but i could still tell what they were , and the little wire loop was intact as well all were still on the ring.

stoveguy2esw said:
hanging on a thumbtack on the corkboard above my computer is a set of keys that cycled through my stove and were found in the firepot. they were definately not my keys and had apparantly been inside a bag of pellets , i saw them sitting in there when i was cleaning out the unit , which had run out of pellets and shut down earlier. the keys did not harm the unit in any way that i can tell and it has run just fine for the 2 years since i found them there were 5 total keys , 2 were silver colored (steel i guess, and 3 brass master lock keys) the master lock keys were all melted together but i could still tell what they were , and the little wire loop was intact as well all were still on the ring.

holy toledo do you have an englander or harman? those are the only 2 i know of that have bottom feeders because i don't think a top feeder could get those through
i was worried because if that stuff melted in my stove it could have cost me a fortune unless "harryback" was going to help me out!!!! Like a Good Neighbor Squire is there!!!!!

here is another one, i had a pair of customers call in within days of each other , both with jammed augers (top) neither emptied the hopper before they called, caller 1 i asked if he had checked in his hopper to see if the upper auger was cycling thinking jam first, he said no , i asked him to empty the hopper, he did and found (get this) a golf ball with a red stripe around it (range ball) was jammed in the auger right at the entrance. we got him cleared , and tested the systme , thermal override saved the motor and being the top auger it runs intermittantly so it does not build torque up enough to strip a gear or anything , so he is ok and hangs up laughing about it. i get a call a couple days later , same problem , i check for jam and yep , another range ball, i get curious so i pull my notes to see where last guy lived, same town , turns out the home depot that they got their pellets from stored them outside under a roof , located right next to a driving range. apparantly sombody was getting a little quick with the hands at the top. i myself wonder to this day how neither one noticed a 1.68 inch hole in the bag where the ball had penetrated it.

It wouldn't be the end of the world by a long shot. Jam the auger and worst case burn up the motor worst case I would think. Been there done that and survived ok. A small nail would give you much more grief than that for sure. Try getting one of those out when its thoroughly wedged in the tunnel.

yep, i have wanted to shoot the d*** thing and toss it in a recycle bin, was actually a breckwell that a guy up the street owned. he came over and got me after he had given up on it , he told me what was jammed in it and i went to the fridge and grabbed the rest of the six pack , knew it would take a few beers more than the one i was holding:)

iceman said:
HarryBack said:

harry i may be mistaken but is it you that recommends a 45 at termination of horizontal for pellet stove? to help draft

Not as much to help draft but to minimize deposits on your sidewalls

iceman said:
stoveguy2esw said:

holy toledo do you have an englander or harman? those are the only 2 i know of that have bottom feeders because i don't think a top feeder could get those through
i was worried because if that stuff melted in my stove it could have cost me a fortune unless "harryback" was going to help me out!!!! Like a Good Neighbor Squire is there!!!!!

nah.....That piece of rubber would burn up as soon as it passed out of the auger, most likely you wouldnt know it was ever there.

Status
Not open for further replies.