1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

You'd think I should know better.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Backwoods Savage, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I got up really, really late this morning (8:15) and just sat down by the stove and put in 3 small splits of elm. Yes, elm, that poor burning wood (according to many). It certainly is a poor splitting wood but we burn it nonetheless.

In one hour I was sweating! I looked at the thermometer on the stove top and it was 600 degrees! With only 3 small pieces of wood. Well, I should know better because a 600 degree stove is not good when it is in the high 20's outdoors. We are still roasting.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. drewboy

drewboy New Member

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    I was burning rounds of elm most of the day yesterday - it burned flawlessly all day. Notice I said "rounds" cuz the few pieces I tried to split this fall weren't agreeable at all...

Rob
  3. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Been there done that. Open a window Dennis, the fresh air is good for you.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I thought the Fireview was ideal for milder temp burning. Doesn't that cat have an air control on it? :coolsmirk:
  5. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Ha, sometimes it just gets away from you. Maybe Woodstock needs to come up with an actual working "Extended Burn Technology"? :lol:
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It'd be nice if someone did :).
  7. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    +1
  8. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    We ran the stove hard and opened all the windows plus used a fire fan to blow out fumes from a concrete sealer in my house a couple weeks ago and yes, it was nice to have fresh air in the home. Trouble is we dried the house out big time. All the humidistats were bottomed out at 16%. Family's lips were chapping before my eyes and the wood floors were shrinking so fast they moaned.

That outside air is dry. Even in the wet state.
  9. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

You really need to stop with these lies. We all know soapstone stoves can not get above 400 degrees. It is embarrassing when you lie like that.

:)
  10. KeepItNatural

KeepItNatural New Member

Loc:
    Western Conn
    Dennis cracks me up. He did this a little while ago writing about how his soapstone stove heated up alot faster than most people say soapstone does. People were chiming in on here saying that maybe it was the cast iron that holds his stove together and everything, but I think his real point then, as it is now is the importance of really drying that wood.
    Even though his stove is soapstone and his wood is otherwise characterized as less than desirable by most- properly seasoned wood will perform really well in whatever type stove you have. I feel like I've learned more from Dennis on here than anywhere else.
    (Thats not to say the rest of you guys don't help tremendously, trust me, you do!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.