Your favorite heat moving fans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szmaine

Jul 13, 2009
Mid-Coast Maine
Now that the stove is up and running we need to deal with moving the heat around better.

We have a few fans that we've been using all along but most are too loud (not to mention ugly).
Has anyone tried the Vonado V103 as a doorway fan?

http://www.vornado.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ISC_Category=V103

Also, I have found that directing a fan up and at the side of the stove so that air flows over the top not only distributes the heat around the room better but also eliminates any warmth building up on the edge of the wooden mantle.
Was considering this fan for that job:

http://www.vornado.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ISC_Category=Full+Size+733

Does anyone use these or have other suggestions? - quiet and inconspicuous being key

DAKSY said:
Ceiling fans are your friends...

Not ours - we have a box beam ceiling. I'm sure each section is it's own little heat corral - to have a fan low enough to do any
good would take someone's head off. Anyway I'm know the living room is still on knob-and-tube, ceiling is plaster and lathe - don't want to open that kettle-o-worms right now.

We have the full size but on a pedestal rather than the short stand. We run it on low speed blowing towards the hallway. In the hallway, we have another small vornado that sits on the floor blowing into the stove room. Works like a charm except the wife always wants to steal the little on to cool herself off. lol I do keep it pretty warm in our house. Let 'em sweat....and remove clothing.

I installed a powered floor register fan, but I think it does about as much as my stove top fan (nice decoration). The best air mover for my layout is a partially open window in the stove room. Cold air enters low and pushes the warm air into other rooms. But, that is my situation and I have more heat from my stove than I need.

Yeah backwoods old girl tells me its to hot i tell her you know what to do.lol .My thermometer is how much clothes my old lady is wearing

A 650 CFM centrifugal duct blower down in the crawlspace works well for me.

"Pull" cold air, don't push warm. A small low fan moving cool air to the stove is a better way to warm the corners, in my opinion. Small box fans at the far end of a hall will give you more convection than trying to push warm air down the hall.

Yup, me too. I use a box fan in my addition (off the stove room) to push cold air toward the stove. Works like a charm.
I also run the ceiling fans on low to keep the air moving.

littlesmokey said:
"Pull" cold air, don't push warm. A small low fan moving cool air to the stove is a better way to warm the corners, in my opinion. Small box fans at the far end of a hall will give you more convection than trying to push warm air down the hall.

jabush said:
Yup, me too. I use a box fan in my addition (off the stove room) to push cold air toward the stove. Works like a charm.

littlesmokey said:

you run your ceiling fans blowing the air up in the rooms?

I like your stilo Backwoods Savage. Get em out of them itchy clothes. LOL>

Backwoods Savage said:
Works like a charm except the wife always wants to steal the little on to cool herself off. lol I do keep it pretty warm in our house. Let 'em sweat....and remove clothing.

I like your stilo Backwoods Savage. Get em out of them itchy clothes. LOL>

I've seen this philosophy trotted out many times on this forum - sooo cute :roll:
But until we can even out the heat so that I can walk from the 75 deg living room to the 65 deg bathroom without getting goose bumps, wintertime hygiene is off the table - I believe this will soon negate any other, er, benefits.

greythorn3 said:
jabush said:

littlesmokey said:

Ok, Ill try "pushing" it instead - seems counterintuitive doesn't it.
BTW - husband thinks we could get a ceiling fan, says the are some low profile units and that it would help even with the box beams since we can put it very close to the stove.

Still, any preferences out there on Brands of super quiet portable/door fans?

greythorn3 said:
jabush said:

littlesmokey said:

Stove is on the lower level of my split foyer, so I run the upstairs (ceiling) fan so it blows down. I think this helps pull warm air up the staircase. The ceiling fan in the addition also blows down so the warn air will mix with the cool as it comes in from the stove room.

greythorn3 said:
jabush said:

littlesmokey said:

Yes, up in winter and down in summer. I used to think the opposite too.

The theory is with the fan blowing up it follows the natural air flow; that being the cool air flows down along the outside walls and then has to rise again, so the fan blowing up speeds that flow instead of trying to work against it.

My wife likes to dry clothes during winter by the stove. When she does that we do reverse the fan so it is blowing down and also turn the fan on medium speed vs low speed. Then we change back when the clothing has dried.

For my office I just use a regular 12" table fan set on the floor running on low speed. It is whisper quiet and does a nice job of gently blowing the cooler office air toward the stove.

As Backwoods mentioned, blowing up causes the air to travel across the ceiling until it contacts a wall,the begins to travel down to mix and rise again. I feel this gentle circulation of a fan set on low, robs less heat from the preheated air, vs chopping it up and forcing it down against the natural circulation pattern

ml said:
As Backwoods mentioned, blowing up causes the air to travel across the ceiling until it contacts a wall,the begins to travel down to mix and rise again. I feel this gentle circulation of a fan set on low, robs less heat from the preheated air, vs chopping it up and forcing it down against the natural circulation pattern

But, if your ceiling looks like this there is no way any air will travel across the ceiling.
Sorry in advance, trying to figure out how to attach pictures - not sure this will work...

Attachments

• ph118805_0x0.jpg
    ph118805_0x0.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 505
I absolutely love that ceiling,,hopefully there will be others reading this thread who may be experiencing the learning curve, that can utilize ceiling fan knowledge.
I too have plaster ceilings which would make installing that type ceiling quite difficult,,except in my dreams!

ml said:
I absolutely love that ceiling,,hopefully there will be others reading this thread who may be experiencing the learning curve, that can utilize ceiling fan knowledge.
I too have plaster ceilings which would make installing that type ceiling quite difficult,,except in my dreams!

Uh, that's not my actual ceiling - got it off the web because I didn't have a pic- but it looks the same except for the lights.
Anyway, box beams can be put over plaster, mine are, or sheetrock....This is decorative trim not actually exposed structural beams.
See article or google others...

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/articles/add-character-box-beam-ceiling.aspx?ac=ts&ra=fpv

szmaine said:
ml said:

But, if your ceiling looks like this there is no way any air will travel across the ceiling.

Actually, I suspect it will. The heated air is not a thin blanket. A ceiling fan running in reverse moves an invisible river of air that can be several feet thick. The ceiling beams cause turbulence, but the airflow will be like backwoods mentioned. I added a false 18" header between our living room and the hallway to slow down heat convection to the upstairs. It works, the temps are more balanced now, but plenty of warm air still convects past this header.

That said, if the ceiling height is too low to be comfortable for a ceiling fan, blowing the air from the cooler part of the house towards the stove is very effective and can be accomplished with a quiet table (or box) fan, placed on the floor and run on low speed. There was also a suggestion of a Stanley fan that works well on the floor.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/33511/

Blowing cold air into the stove room will force the warm air out and improve heating

BeGreen said:
szmaine said:
ml said:

Actually, I suspect it will. The heated air is not a thin blanket. A ceiling fan running in reverse moves an invisible river of air that can be several feet thick. The ceiling beams cause turbulence, but the airflow will be like backwoods mentioned. I added a false 18" header between our living room and the hallway to slow down heat convection to the upstairs. It works, the temps are more balanced now, but plenty of warm air still convects past this header.

Yes, the ceiling is low -probably 7' not positive but I can touch the beams w/ my fingertips and I'm 5'8".
But one large (they are different sizes) boxed area is right above the stove so I can see how that would help and am looking into low-profile units, maybe I can find one that won't be a head chopper....

Thanks for the input and everyone else's too.
I love this forum...advice and entertainment!

Status
Not open for further replies.