Your favorite method for cleaning glass doors ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mikeb

Oct 9, 2007
Hey all,

I'm burning the 44 Elite (wood ~>20%) and am having to clean the doors quite a bit. So I thought I'd check to see what your preferred method was. I've always used the paper/ash method, but these doors cake it on pretty thick, so I've gone to the store bought spray products ( currently using "spray nine" brand) which seem to be a litter quicker. I've tried various "spray on's" and "rub on's", with nothing being really any more effective than the next.

What's your favorite way of cleaning the glass doors? (product or technique)

A damp cloth once a month or so.

I sometimes get a white haze that doesn't burn off (unlike brown or black stains). For that, I use a wet washcloth.

If it is the brown or black stain, burning it hot takes care of that. I only seem to get that when the primary is turned down very low and I only have a secondary burn. The bottom of the firebox seems to cool off in those situations. As the wood load burns down, the stain burns off as well.

I sometimes get a white haze that doesn't burn off (unlike brown or black stains). For that, I use a wet washcloth.
yeah that is all i get

Wet paper towel and some ash. Works wonders!

I use a wetted paper towel and dip it in some clean ash. I then wipe it off with a clean dry paper towel before the smears dry. I don't do it very often.

Mine stays black a lot but only on the left and right side corners, reason is I am always in cruise mood with the air turned down completely for my long burns, when I reload I crank it up till the class clears then cut the air again, I like 8 to 12 hour burns more than the clean glass lol

I've never tried any of the glass cleaning products, partly cause I'm cheap and the ash paper towel method works well. I seem to remember a product that was pretty popular with some members 4-5 years ago but don't remember what it was.

Damp newspaper or paper towel ... dipped in ash if necessary.

A good cleaning with Rutland cleaner whenever it gets cool, which is rarely this time of year. Otherwise a little haze don't bother me.

I usually clean the glass with a paper towel and a 50/50 vinegar solution in a spray bottle. For more stubborn spots, I use a non-scratch scrubbing pad made for ceramic cook tops. I don't have to clean the glass too much with the dry wood I have...maybe once every few weeks. I don't mind a bit of haze on the glass though, so YMMV.

Do not clean very often at all. Wife uses a dry rag/towel.

For the thick dark deposits I use glass stovetop cleaner and a paper towel. It just takes a little bit, it dissolves that stuff quick and doesn't scratch the glass at all.

.... (wood ~>20%) and am having to clean the doors quite a bit. So I thought I'd check to see what your preferred method was.

My favorite method is to not burn wood with ~>20% moisture content.

Seriously.

The deposits on your glass are the least of your concerns. Those are just a symptom. Worse still is now what is in all parts of your stove that you can not see, in your chimney, and what part of this smut you shared with your friends and neighbors in the effluent from your chimney.

Burn dry wood (known to be for sure <20% moisture content), and give it enough air to burn properly. Period. Then come back with your question if you still have problems.

Yes, I am being harsh, for a reason: anyone who improperly burns not fully seasoned wood is potentially given wood burning in general a bad name. Please do not do that.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F416%252BAq4WAIL.jpg

Every week or two.

I burn hot fires with dry wood and my glass doesn't get dirty. Every few weeks when I empty out ashes I wipe the glass with a wet paper towel to remove the fly ash haze and that's it.

Mine rarely gets dirty, when i burn it down to clean out some ash, I clean it with Windex and paper towel. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is cleaning hot glass, not sure if spraying hot glass would crack it, and I have no plans on finding out. I test mine with a bare hand, if I can hold my hand on the glass for a couple of seconds I am good to go.

My favorite method is to not burn wood with ~>20% moisture content.

Seriously.

The deposits on your glass are the least of your concerns. Those are just a symptom. Worse still is now what is in all parts of your stove that you can not see, in your chimney, and what part of this smut you shared with your friends and neighbors in the effluent from your chimney.

Burn dry wood (known to be for sure <20% moisture content), and give it enough air to burn properly. Period. Then come back with your question if you still have problems.

Yes, I am being harsh, for a reason: anyone who improperly burns not fully seasoned wood is potentially given wood burning in general a bad name. Please do not do that.

I posted " ~>20% " which I meant to mean that my wood is "less than 20%" ... did I misprint?

Buck recommends waiting for the stove to cool, then scrape with a razor blade. Wash with soapy water or glass cleaner. My 91 stays pretty clean, what little there is in the corners scrapes off easily when the stove cools off. I've also used a damp paper towel with ashes. I tend to run the stove in "cruise mode" most of the time. If a stick or two of wood aren't totally seasoned, and I choke it down too much, it will smoke the glass a little more. If that happens, I open up the primary air. The increase in temperature causes the majority of the smudge to curl up and burn off.

I posted " ~>20% " which I meant to mean that my wood is "less than 20%" ... did I misprint?

Yes you did. > is the greater than symbol. < would be less than.

So what you posted would read. Approximately greater than twenty percent.