Your Favorite Wood (for stoves and fireplaces)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Beech might be my favorite to burn so far, but it can be a pain to split sometimes. Kinda surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

I stack it, wait a year to split it.

locust, burns hot lasts forever. It lasts in the wood piles for about forever if not used. Not really any down sides to it in my opinion.

I like locust, and got a few 24+ he burns out of it this fall.. kinda hard to find compared to other woods though, at least in my experience so far.

I've grown to love Cherry, seasons quickly, burns hot and smells nice. Plus I have a lot that is dying off, not a very long lived tree. I have 4 huge oaks that are dying, but the curing time screws up my seasoning system of not moving wood twice.

For the wood stove almost anything dry, for the fireplace a mixture of maple and oak.

Wouldn't you want these woods, maple and oak, for your woodstove, and light btu woods like poplar or pine for the fireplace?

Almost anything dry in the stove also includes maple and oak as well as cherry, pine etc. I find that the combination of maple and oak burns best in my open fireplace and doesn't throw sparks. The wood stove also burns subpar wood (beginning to go punky) better than an open fire and sparks don't matter in the stove. I have some tulip which I'll burn in the fireplace pluss any big knotty pieces that won't easily split down further.

Last edited:
Reactions: dafattkidd
In my area there is a good amount of dead standing red oak n chestnut (rock) oak. I found it puzzling nobody hardly ever mentions rock oak for firewood. Anybody care to give your opinions for rock oak n how it burns....thanks

In my area there is a good amount of dead standing red oak n chestnut (rock) oak. I found it puzzling nobody hardly ever mentions rock oak for firewood. Anybody care to give your opinions for rock oak n how it burns....thanks
I'd be interested to hear about chestnut oak as well, as I now have some in my stacks that I picked up a while ago. Hopefully it's some good stuff. Smells amazing...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mountain man 2
My personal favorite to have on hand is sugar maple when seasoned. It burns nice and hot, it's somewhat abundant and it doesn't take as long to season as oak. I'm also a fan of burning black cherry as well.

With that said, on those cooler nights and warmer days (late fall or early spring), I enjoy burning (seasoned) Poplar. Great firewood that takes the chill out of the air.

Reactions: ThunderMedic
locust smells like puke when it's green and the bark slips off and slimy

Love the smell of freshly cut and split black locust. Reminds me of the gym. Nothing like the smell of a fresh pile of shorts, socks, towels and straps waiting for the trainer to wash. Yes it can be a bit slimy, but that reminds me of the heavy bag after a good session. Oh, and the locust burns quite well and has staying power when in the stack. Love my black locust. Manly

Reactions: fbelec
I concur with Beech - high btu's, and the ones I've cut are pretty good size - lots of wood from one tree. Branches are a plentiful, but all good wood.

Red/white oak, hickory, hedge. It's a toss-up on the oaks. They're both are pretty close in BTUs. Love the smell of both after the CAT gets done. Hickory burns hot, but doesn't seem to coal near as good as the oaks. Hedge is great, but it sparks like a roman candle if the door gets opened and the coals get "energized" by the sudden air increase. Usually line the bottom of the Buck with it, top off with whatever is next in line in the wood shed. I get the hedge from a buddy at church, the rest is from dead standing or storm felled trees on our place. Haven't cut down a growing tree since we moved here 10 years ago. Currently working on a 22" diameter hickory that didn't leaf out after winter. Also have 2, 18"ish red oaks that need to be felled. They didn't make it this summer.

another favorite i forgot to talk up is yellow birch. great stuff. stringy but when it's dry ya don't need kindling. light the strands and puff

I love 5 year seasoned, red oak. Ash with locust is next.

Love ash, maple, oak, beech. Only problem I have with my maple is the bugs like it. Some bug keeps getting into my maple and burrowing holes through it. Whatever bug it is it won't touch my oak or ash.

Might put black locust in my top 3 as well since, like ash, it seems to dry pretty quick. Also easy to split, smells good, looks purdy when split, burns hot.

I get a lot of bur oak up here in Southern Minnesota and it is vastly different in terms of moisture content when you find a fallen one in the forrest. I often find very dry and completely solid bur oak trees that are virtually ready for the wood stove....their moisture counts are already in the teens! The red oaks are still completely soaked. I think the bur oaks probably dry well when standing (then fall over) kind of like American elm whereas the red oaks don't seem to drop much moisture over time.

Finding a completely dry bur oak tree laying in the woods is treasure. Solid, heavy, no bark, and dry. Amazing stuff.

Black cherry, maple of all varieties, tulip poplar and loblolly pine. All relatively fast drying and hot burning. Red oak when it's had two years to dry. Although I just cut down a bunch of beech trees to clear out my back yard. So we shall see how those do next winter. Never burned beech before in my insert.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk