1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Your favorite wood to burn

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by cogger, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michaelthomas

michaelthomas New Member

Thank you for your confirmation. I was going to rent a chipper and chip up the red oak into sawdust and feed it to the pigs up the road. I was then going to have to go and buy 5 ton of bio bricks from the sales guy. You guys sure saved me a-lot of trouble. what was the name of that post? The dealers are the problem with the industry...or something like that? Whatever do you mean????

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    I love the coals you get from dogwood. super hot.
  3. snowfreak

snowfreak New Member

Loc:
    Altona, NY
    Depends on what fire I'm burning. For the wood stove at home I enjoy a hardwood mix but really like how Beech burns. It splits pretty easy too. For the campfire I enjoy a mix of cedar and white pine. Cedar for the 4th of July sparks and white pine for huge flames.
  4. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I would have said freewood also, but all mine is free, so free and delivered free would be next, but that was a bunch of pine that really didn't burn well. Very hard to control and soots up the glass something awful. I think some of it isn't totally dry, so while it burns like mad and gets the stove hot, the fire isn't all that hot. Lots of very yellow sooty flames, and coals that last like 1/2 hour, vs tossing on 1.5 year old white oak...instant deep yellow/blue beautiful flames, and a steady burn that lasts hours.

The Oak burns completely and the ash is nice and powdery. Same for Ash. I do like burning Elm also. Nice long fires, but can leave clinkers in the stove. We'll see if this year is better now that the Elm is seasoned better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.