Your favorite wood to burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your confirmation. I was going to rent a chipper and chip up the red oak into sawdust and feed it to the pigs up the road. I was then going to have to go and buy 5 ton of bio bricks from the sales guy. You guys sure saved me a-lot of trouble. what was the name of that post? The dealers are the problem with the industry...or something like that? Whatever do you mean????

Sandor said:
Roospike said:
Sandor said:
Dogwood!!!!

So hard that a sharp chisel chain wants to bounce off of it while bucking.

Shows the same BYU value as oak.
Dogwood 27. mBTU/cord

Thats your favorite wood ? How's it split ???

Not sure how Dogwood tested the same as oak. You never split dogwood because its impossible, and it rarely gets over 8-10 inches in diameter. These trees grow very slow.

Lots of Dogwoods died of some disease that came through a fews years back. Thought I would try burning it since I was cutting the dead out anyway. To my surprise, burning a couple of 6 inches rounds lasted a long time, rarely flamed, and resembled lit charcoal. Not the kind of wood you go out and get, but if I run into a dead standing one, its a treat for the coldest nights. When they die, they stand for years without decay.

I love the coals you get from dogwood. super hot.

Depends on what fire I'm burning. For the wood stove at home I enjoy a hardwood mix but really like how Beech burns. It splits pretty easy too. For the campfire I enjoy a mix of cedar and white pine. Cedar for the 4th of July sparks and white pine for huge flames.

I would have said freewood also, but all mine is free, so free and delivered free would be next, but that was a bunch of pine that really didn't burn well. Very hard to control and soots up the glass something awful. I think some of it isn't totally dry, so while it burns like mad and gets the stove hot, the fire isn't all that hot. Lots of very yellow sooty flames, and coals that last like 1/2 hour, vs tossing on 1.5 year old white oak...instant deep yellow/blue beautiful flames, and a steady burn that lasts hours.

The Oak burns completely and the ash is nice and powdery. Same for Ash. I do like burning Elm also. Nice long fires, but can leave clinkers in the stove. We'll see if this year is better now that the Elm is seasoned better.

Status
Not open for further replies.