Your opinion on these boots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi warm,

get the leather labonville chainsaw boots. Many guys here have them and like them. And the cost half of what hornett suggested.

Carpniels

that is fine if you want to be miserable all day.i promise you will be much happier with the matterhorns.i'm not gonna be uncomfotable all day with blisterd feet for 100 or so bucks difference.i also guarantee the matterhorns are made in the USA,not some third world 8 year old for half a chicken a week.you decide. support your country and be comfortable or support china and be miserable.maybe the labonvilles are usa made but i doubt it.

Ahem. The Labonville boots are leather and made in the good old U.S.A.

I'm just too frugal (cheap) to spend $150 to $300 for boots that I will wear only a few hours each year. Here's my solution: Today at a rummage sale I bought this pair of work boots for $1, and I am ordering a pair of these Labonville kevlar liners: http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=81

I'll use this setup for now, and keep my eyes open for steel-toed boots, or bargain chainsaw boots on Ebay.

Attachments

• WorkBoots.jpg
    WorkBoots.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 654
WarmGuy said:
I'm just too frugal (cheap) to spend $150 to $300 for boots that I will wear only a few hours each year. Here's my solution: Today at a rummage sale I bought this pair of work boots for $1, and I am ordering a pair of these Labonville kevlar liners: http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=81

I'll use this setup for now, and keep my eyes open for steel-toed boots, or bargain chainsaw boots on Ebay.

Bingo. There is a big difference in what you wear all day every day for work and what you wear a couple of hours at a time cutting firewood.

My "chainsaw" boots are a fifty-buck fifteen year old pair of CAT steel toes. On the other hand the shoes I live in all day at work are three hundred a shot.

If I cut trees for a living the ratio would be reversed.

Whoa BB, are your daily shoes ostrich skinned? Me, I wear LLBean slippers while at work, but that's in my office@home.

BeGreen said:
Whoa BB, are your daily shoes ostrich skinned? Me, I wear LLBean slippers while at work, but that's in my office@home.

Does anybody but Allen Edmonds make shoes? Wear a pair and you will throw rocks at LL Bean. The PE Summit of footwear.

Never heard of them, but I will definitely look into the line. If they last forever and are comfortable from day one, I may go for a pair.

Totally off topic, but if you haven't seen it, there's a British film about survival in the top-end shoe/boot industry that's hilarious. It's called "Kinky Boots". Worth a night with Netflix.

I just got a pair of Matterhorns from this place:

Central Police Supply

$231.95, which is lots less than the earlier poster's site - this was the lowest cost for the Matterhorns that I could find, by a considerable margin. They are comfortable, not overly hot, and work well. The vendor offered good service, free shipping, etc.

I'm starting to develop quite an ecclectic PPE collection, I picked up a pair of Chainsaw gloves today at the local HW store (20.99 w/ the $5 off cuopon) So now I have Stihl Chaps, Husky gloves, Matterhorn boots, AO Safety ears, and swing a Poulan chainsaw - so much for "brand loyalty" :lol:

Gooserider

Are these the Husky safety gloves you got? I bought some of these "safety chainsaw gloves" on Ebay, but I'm not sure if they are really safety gloves or just work gloves with the Husky brand.

Attachments

• Gloves.jpg
    Gloves.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 663
WarmGuy said:
Are these the Husky safety gloves you got? I bought some of these "safety chainsaw gloves" on Ebay, but I'm not sure if they are really safety gloves or just work gloves with the Husky brand.

... thats not Husky. The Husky brand I know you can get at Home Depot

WarmGuy said:

Those are them, and I was told by the guys at the hardware store that they were the chainsaw gloves, they also had other gloves with the Husky logo on them for much less, which they said were just "brand advertising". However looking at them, I can't find any labeling that says they meet the standards, the way that my chaps and boots have appropriate labels. So I started wondering, and went to the Husqvarna website, and found a listing for them,

Chain Saw Protective Gloves

Chain saw protective material in back of left hand. Leather palm, polyester back. Velcro closure.

Part Number Description
505 64 22-09 Medium
505 64 22-10 Large

The picture is a thumbnail, but looks right, and the large part number is the same as the gloves I bought, both on the labeling and on each glove... Feeling the orange padding on each glove, it feels like just a single layer in the right glove, but much thicker on the left, so I'd assume these were the ones. However I have to admit to feeling a bit underwhelmed - are all the chainsaw gloves like this, or are these kind of a "minimal approach"? I think I'm going to write to Husky and see what they say...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
WarmGuy said:

Those are them, and I was told by the guys at the hardware store that they were the chainsaw gloves, they also had other gloves with the Husky logo on them for much less, which they said were just "brand advertising". However looking at them, I can't find any labeling that says they meet the standards, the way that my chaps and boots have appropriate labels. So I started wondering, and went to the Husqvarna website, and found a listing for them,

Chain Saw Protective Gloves

Chain saw protective material in back of left hand. Leather palm, polyester back. Velcro closure.

Part Number Description
505 64 22-09 Medium
505 64 22-10 Large

The picture is a thumbnail, but looks right, and the large part number is the same as the gloves I bought, both on the labeling and on each glove... Feeling the orange padding on each glove, it feels like just a single layer in the right glove, but much thicker on the left, so I'd assume these were the ones. However I have to admit to feeling a bit underwhelmed - are all the chainsaw gloves like this, or are these kind of a "minimal approach"? I think I'm going to write to Husky and see what they say...

Gooserider

Well, I wrote to Husky,
Hello, I recently purchased a pair of your Chain Saw Protective Gloves, Part Number 505 64 22-10. I didn't really think about it in detail in the store, but when I got home and was examining them more closely, I noticed that they did not have any kind of certification labeling in them the way that my Stihl chainsaw chaps, or Matterhorn chainsaw boots do, saying that they have been tested by an outside agency such as UL, or that they comply with US OSHA safety requirements for chainsaw users. There is also no description on the gloves or your website of what the "chainsaw protective material" consists of, the way my other PPE does.

I paid a great deal more for these gloves than I normally pay for gloves (and they aren't as comfortable) so I want to be sure I'm getting more protection than normal gloves would offer.

Do these gloves have testing certifications by any outside agencies such as UL? Are they compliant with ASTM F1818 as required by OSHA for people using chainsaws on the job?
Why aren't the gloves labeled as compliant?

At first, I didn't think they had responded to me, but I found when I logged back into their site, that they did have a response, but for some reason I hadn't been mailed about it....

All of our accessories are all ANSI approved all helmets, Gloves, safety goggles ,Boots etc are all approved we don't sell it if it is not we don't put a label on all of are accessories but they are approved you can visit our web site and check with the part number and it will show that they are ANSI approved. If you have any other questions regarding this matter please feel free to contact us at
1-800-448-7543
Thank you for contacting Husqvarna! You have a wonderful day

I hope he got that weight wrong. Ten pound boots would be like having your feet buried in concrete.

BrotherBart said:
I hope he got that weight wrong. Ten pound boots would be like having your feet buried in concrete.

I don't know, my Matterhorns are close to about 4 lbs per boot, so 10 lbs for the pair wouldn't be too bad, plus the seller sounds like he's guessing, so could be a lot less than stated...

Gooserider

I got them and they are 7 pounds total -- don't feel especially heavy.

I used them while splitting yesterday, and today for 4-5 hours of chainsawing in the forest. They're great. They weren't at all uncomfortable or hot (it was about 55 degrees). It never gets hot around here, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I usually wear a 10.5 or 11 shoe, and these were size 10, but still a little big. I wore very thick socks.

The boots are thicker above the curve from foot to leg, as you can see in the picture. I would have expected even more padding there, but I'll just have to trust that the protection is real. I gave the steel toe a test with a log, and it held up fine. It was nice to know, walking around on logs and uneven ground, that it would be hard to twist an ankle with these boots.

Highly recommended.

My new Matterhorn 12255 Search & Rescue/Coal Miner's boots arrived this morning. I have been wearing them for an hour or so and all I can say is WOW!

6.2 pounds total weight in 10.5 medim, comfortable and built like tanks.

If your feet suddenly have a strong urge to head north to West VA we'll understand.

A follow up -- I've been using these boots for a few months, and they're great. Since they were a little large, I added a inner sole, and I often wear two pairs of socks. Even with that they've never been too hot. I also wear them when splitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.