Your pets with your stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Al

Jan 15, 2010
Rhode Island
Ok, so the reason we're all here is simple, we are, for the most part cavemen. (I know there are a few women on here too) What more could a caveman ask for then to play with wood, steel, iron, stone and fire. The heat and the gratitude from our cave women is a bonus. But what about man's best freinds? Our dogs and our cats. They enjoy it too. Sometimes, it seems more than we do. As much as I enjoy the fire and the heat, I wouldn't lay as close to my stove as the cats do. Post any pictures of pets enjoying the stove.

Attachments

• woodstoveandcats small version.jpg
    woodstoveandcats small version.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 3,166
  • woodstoveandcats small version.jpg
    woodstoveandcats small version.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,769
Warm in RI said:
Ok, so the reason we're all here is simple, we are, for the most part cavemen. (I know there are a few women on here too) What more could a caveman ask for then to play with wood, steel, iron, stone and fire. The heat and the gratitude from our cave women is a bonus. But what about man's best freinds? Our dogs and our cats. They enjoy it too. Sometimes, it seems more than we do. As much as I enjoy the fire and the heat, I wouldn't lay as close to my stove as the cats do. Post any pictures of pets enjoying the stove.

My dog has a routine; Lay in front of the stove. Walk away from stove just before combustion. Drink water. Stand by door until I let him out to cool down. Come back in and repeat process.

The cats' routine is simpler; Lay in front of stove until melting begins.

One of our cats loves the stove as I often find her sitting or laying near it and I think the other one is afraid of it since she runs like crazy when ever she sees me going towards it. Maybe she's just running away from me though.

My dog has a routine; Lay in front of the stove. Walk away from stove just before combustion. Drink water. Stand by door until I let him out to cool down. Com back in and repeat process.

The cats’ routine is simpler; Lay in front of stove until melting begins.

Its amazing the heat cats can tolerate. My dog lays about 7-8 feet from the stove, seems to be her comfort zone, Ill have to try and get a pic.

One of my cats really likes the stove. I have a small pillow on the floor for her about 4 feet from the stove so she sleeps on there.

Here's another one of our cats. She loves to lay behind the stove or as the picture shows, under the stove. I've put my hand there, it's friggin HOT!!! (Please excuse the dirty glass in the picture, that was last year and I had some pretty green wood) My sisters cat likes to lay under her old Nashua, and she says sometimes she can smell his fur cooking!!!! I grew up with wood stoves and as close as the animals got to the stove, I have never seen an animal suffer a burn from them. My brother on the other hand.........

Attachments

• Angel under stove (smallpic).jpg
    Angel under stove (smallpic).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,669
Warm in RI said:
Here's another one of our cats. She loves to lay behind the stove or as the picture shows, under the stove. I've put my hand there, it's friggin HOT!!! (Please excuse the dirty glass in the picture, that was last year and I had some pretty green wood) My sisters cat likes to lay under her old Nashua, and she says sometimes she can smell his fur cooking!!!! I grew up with wood stoves and as close as the animals got to the stove, I have never seen an animal suffer a burn from them. My brother on the other hand.........

Yep, my one cat has been know to lay under the stove occasionally. No idea how they can tolerate it.

We don't let the dog in the living room, which is were the stove is, but he will sleep just outside the door.

A few nights ago I had put some wood on the fire and went to bed. A half hour later I heard him barking. I know people who don't have dogs don't believe it, but if you have a dog you'll know exactly what I mean -- they have different kinds of barks. There's the "Hey you! Idiot! You forgot to feed me." There's "Hey! There's someone coming up the driveway." There's "Hey you! Dogs next door! Can you hear me?" Well this was a different bark. To me it sounded like, "Hey! The house is on fire!"

I was going to ignore it, but he did it again, so I decided to get up and look. As I came around the corner I heard popping and crackling and saw the bright flashing lights, and I thought there was a fire. Well, there was a fire, but it was safely contained in the stove. The wood I had thrown on had finally caught, and they were poping and crackling and putting on a show.

Good dog!

Here he is, just outside the living room:

DSCN0438.gif

Here's our pup in front of our stove. he often gets up to turn around and have the opposite side facing the stove.

4241374541_93a8efa87d.jpg

The cat loves the stove. She comes over to give some love whenever I load it.

KB007 said:
Here's our pup in front of our stove. he often gets up to turn around and have the opposite side facing the stove.

4241374541_93a8efa87d.jpg

Like flipping a burger!!!

Great story PYPER. They are amazing aren't they?

I know it's a pellet stove but this is where my cat lives all winter long

Attachments

• stovecat.jpg
    stovecat.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 2,498
  • cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 3,042
My cat is anti-social until bed time when she gets on the bed and tucks in at my side but when the stove is running she stays in the living room on the dog bed. My dog is always at my side but when it gets too warm he heads up the hall to the bedroom to cool down then come back out.

Attachments

• luger.jpg
    luger.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,270
Sorry Firestarter, no photos to share, but my two cats take up positions pretty similar to yours. One is an older, declawed female who has been with us since we lived in the suburbs quite a few years ago. She doesn't do much other than eat and get petted. The other is a younger female brought here to our old farm house out in the booneys to be a mouser. She did an incredible job this past spring summer and fall, so she can spend the winter enjoying the fire. Not a cat guy, but they serve a purpose and kinda grow on you after a while.

Just shot this Sunday. My wife shaved the cat (to cut down on shedding) so he's a real heat-seeker. The dog usually doesn't rest but needed a break from the action here. Come to think of it, she shaved the dog too. The insert makes the den the warmest room in the house.

Attachments

• IMG_1783.jpg
    IMG_1783.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,265
taco and miss kitty love to have a heat bath. the dog seems to spend more time around the stove than the cat. they also like to go around the back behind the stove . pete

Attachments

• pets picture for hearth.jpg
    pets picture for hearth.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2,464
Our cat will lay right by the stove, but the dogs don't. Not sure if it is because they don't; care for the heat or because they would rather be on the couch with us. They seem to want to stay a good 10+ feet away when it's cruising.

With our old stove, my dog and the cat would fight to see would get to sit in front of the stove and be in my way whenever I reloaded it in the morning. (wife's husky refuses to get out of bed that early) The Englander puts out so much heat even when down to coals that neither one will do that anymore.

Up until two or three years ago my wife's old cat would stand in front of the stove and groan at me if it was cold and I didn't have a fire going. He stopped doing it and doesn't lay in front of it any more.

The outdoor cat, that spends her nights in the basement, hates it when I have the stove down there burning. She is just fine with the heating pad in her bed.

Unless it's colder than around -10°C, I cannot even get the dog to come in the house and at that she goes in the coldest room or lays by the front door. The mud room (farthest room from the hearth) is tiled and the cold air that leaks in through the dryer vent and water heater powervent makes the floor cold. I have Pine floors through most of the house and her claws would ruin them. She's never even been in the hearth room.

The cat has his own chair next to my recliner in a cooler corner that we both seem to prefer. He also has his own chair in the hearth room which is about 9 - 10 feet from the stove. If I go lay in front of the hearth he will come lay between me and the fire for a short while but then goes and finds a cooler spot. When he comes in from outdoors though, he heads straight for the hearth to take the chill off.

During our home re-mod, Charlie and Rascal pretty much lived with me out in my workshop, across the driveway from our house. They got to where they were asking me to serve them snacks and drinks. These days, they just hang out in front of the Liberty in the house...quite frequently completely occupying my recliner. :coolmad: Rick

Attachments

• shopcats.jpg
    shopcats.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,548
  • preciate.jpg
    preciate.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,486
Status
Not open for further replies.