1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Your plans for the weekend?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by schlot, Oct 26, 2012.

1. wdenton

wdenton Member

Loc:
    MI
    Busy weekend
    - getting the reset of the acorn, and spagetti squash out of the garden and put up.
    - high school football game Sat (in the state championship)
    - brush clean up and then hopefully brush hog my wood stacking area
    - some board games with the kids hopefully

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. shmodaddy

shmodaddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    So IL
    HAY RIDE :)

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro-- if im posting on here I'm probably supposed to be working! I can't help im addicted to HEARTH.COM!
    PA Fire Bug likes this.
  3. albert1029

albert1029 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern PA
    Try to do something with the grandkids 'cause it looks like Halloween may be a wash,
  4. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    i'll probably be listening to the sound of chain saws and the droning of generators in the aftermath of the storm. i'm on the west bank of the Chesapeake and we get the power outages every time a big storm comes through. not much you can do. on the up side, there might be lots of scrounge wood for ME :)

cass
    Gasifier likes this.
  5. nsfd95

nsfd95 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island
    Saturday four lawns to cut, miles of gutters to clean, and finally pick up my new generator.
    Sunday have to go to work (overtime) and hook up all the snow plows that are all metal so we can use them to clear roads of debris from the big blow. Oh yeah when done with that we have to go out and clean off about 250 drains.
  6. James02

James02 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    L-Town...N.Y.
    Well thats F.U. money....can i get about 22 minutes....Be safe!
  7. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    you mean there is a time of the season for this kind of work ? I guess I jumped the gun !
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Schlot, you need to know there is plenty of popular wood but you probably have poplar wood there. ;)

I hope to spend lots of time in the woods but no cutting. Only hunting.
  9. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    This weekend.. Well, I'm not home for opening day. Not that my wife "lets" me hunt at our house. I have to go far away to camp....

But they were on the back lawn tonight. I'm away till wed.
    DSCF0013b.jpg
  10. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Or perhaps I have popular poplar wood? LOL.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    ;lol Gotta hate when that happens to the mower. I have been there with a plastic bag as well. ;lol
  12. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    I was referring to the football Giants... LOL
  13. onetracker

onetracker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    rondout valley ny
    i procrastinated on the generator again. none to be had now. we're at the very end of a rural electric service so we're always the last to get power restored.

so that means:

alert friends that i may need to rent freezer space
    clean out all the gutters
    batten down all the firewood covers
    fill 75ft of garden hose with water and cap it to use as a siphon for the sump pump
    fill a gas can or two (i just burned up all my gas cuz it was getting old)
    clean and fill every water jug i have
    if power goes out i have a fisher i'll need to skin (i can't ask friends to store dead animals in their freezer)
    groceries
    fill the chain saws
  14. tcassavaugh

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    JP...i have the same problem, damn deer are all over the place and even eat out of my bird feeders....momma won't let me shoot them either. .i'm heading to upstate n.y. next month to hit opening day. looks like you have an old doe and a couple of young ones there. i have to say, watching them is fun. i just don't want them to jump out in front of the car or my motorcycle.

cass
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We see the deer pass through almost every day and really enjoy it too. Our driveway is also tracked up almost every morning from the deer. They are very welcome here and no, we do not hunt close to the house.
    Gasifier likes this.
  16. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Today was build up the berm to protect my property from road over-spill. Needed about a foot more in height. Tonight gonna run a 220 line to backfeed the electrical panel with a generator. Tomorrow going to make some room in the garage to get an old car inside, put the patio furniture away and clean out the gutters again. Drink beer. Stack wood and drink beer, crash on couch while drinking beer. Maybe mix in some scotch and start a fire.
    Gasifier likes this.
  17. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Got me a deer two days ago. Got her with the passenger side of the bumper. That is about the 8th one I have gotten with a vehicle in my illustrious driving career.
    albert1029 likes this.
  18. Halligan

Halligan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    Today's list was as follows:

-cleaned my mothers gutters
    -purchased gas for her generator, my generator, my saws
    -started mom's generator
    -cleaned up mom's yard for storm
    -came home cleaned my gutters

Tomorrows list:

-clean my yard
    -start my generator
    -secure deck furniture
    -show wife how to start generator
    -throw some extra rope on woodpile tarps

Mondays list:

Report for duty at firestation @ 0800 and let the Frankenstorm mayhem begin. Probably won't come home for 24-48 hours depending on storm damage but that's the job.
    Gasifier and albert1029 like this.
  19. albert1029

albert1029 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern PA
    Slacker...seriously, firefighters are the best...after Katrina I just could not believe the job the police and firefighters did...if not for those dedicated men It would have even been worse if you can imagine that...I saw firsthand the job they did...
  20. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    I wish all you "east coasters" luck with the big storm.

I did get the ash cut, mostly split and mostly stacked. Dang leaves begged for my attention too today.

wood7.jpg
    albert1029 likes this.
  21. stephiedoll

stephiedoll Burning Hunk

Loc:
    omaha, ne
    Today, cut up 4'X9' Mulberry log with help from firewood partner, load on F250 (1 trip) and dump at his place. Should have taken pcitures but did not think about until we were unloaded. Now trying to work the math on how much wood when split and weight it was. Tomorrow, either clean gutters, and yard work, or go split firewood.
  22. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thats an expensive method of hunting
  23. BillsWS

BillsWS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    U.P. Michigan
    Helped some friends tear down an old beater garage this summer. Stack of lumber in the back, old, super dry. They were going to throw it. I brought over my miter saw and cut to 16" lengths. Spent some time Friday and yesterday spitting to kindling. Anything with paint, varnish, hardware = fire pit pile. Everhthing else, put in boxes and its in the garage. Today I am rehabilitating an old outhouse. I just cut the bottom out and took a break to try and figure out how to put the new floor in. The BK Princess is purring in the other room. Toasty warm down here. Maybe I'll try to figure out the floor snoozing in my recliner for a half hour : ) By golly, thats exactly what I am going to do. See ya.
    schlot likes this.
  24. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Ran the generator to make sure theres no problems if needed (we're on a dead end street and dont have priority when power goes out), filled up all my gas cans and added stabil. Was going to clean leaves but thought thye effort may be futile with all the winds coming so I built another wood bin and loaded it up with odds and ends pieces, trying to get my wood pile area nice and neat, wont ever get to be as neat as Dexters but I can try.
  25. tcassavaugh

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    thats why i try and carry a knife that at least will dress out most of the deer, if its not mangled up. sometimes the troopers will let you take it and you can at least get a back strap out of it.

have my pigtail to the pannel already in place. can almost run the whole house back feeding to the panel. have a problem with running the furnace, but thats what the wood stove is for. won't run the whole house air conditioner or the water pump and hot water heater together. i have to run the heater then switch over to the pump to take a shower or run the "facilities". least it gives us lights and keeps the frig and freezer going. gonna get a bigger generator. storms come through here way too often not to be with a generator.

cass