Your pup enjoying the stove or insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet those two Jack Russells have a lot of fun together!

Here's another pic of my boys, on the back of the sofa is Bryn, my 8 yo Jack, he is usually in front of the stove and growls if I disturb him to reload. On the cushion is Riley, we got him in September, he is just about a year old, the heat scares him, doesn't get too close. They are both on the sofa because I loaded up with oak so the stove is throwing a lot of heat. They were both rescues too and know they have it good now;View attachment 93164
They may know they have it made,, but that's what makes it all worth while giving two dogs a much better life... They look like a lot of fun! We have a male Benny 10 months and Lily a female almost 14... I wish now that we had grabbed Benny's brother too,,,,, oh they would have been fun... Benny loves the snow too,,, he stays out with me for hours,,mousing ,steeling an egg from our chicken coop,, because someone likes to lay on the floor shavings behind a feed bin, instead of one of 6 nesting boxes.. If he sees me get my jacket or boots on,, he's right by my side jumping into the air like he won the lottery... They are really fun dogs for sure,,, personality plus!

I'm laughing;lol
Me too! I remember when my Oggie was like that. It is hard to see her slow down.:(
Oggie.jpg

I've become very, very fond of terriers... Murphles is a smooth haired fox.

A lot of dog & personality in a little package, plus the cuteness is unbearable !!

Murphy1.jpg

Me too! I remember when my Oggie was like that. It is hard to see her slow down.:(

Bryn we guess is about 8 or 9, we rescued him at about 2 yo. he was slowing down because our other Jack that passed in August was 12 and they just didn't play. Now with Riley around, Bryn has found his inner puppy again, which has been wonderful to see. It's tough to see his brown face fading to white and on the cold days, he moves a little slower but his eyesight is still good and the birds know they better hustle when he comes running :)

Reactions: charly
Bryn we guess is about 8 or 9, we rescued him at about 2 yo. he was slowing down because our other Jack that passed in August was 12 and they just didn't play. Now with Riley around, Bryn has found his inner puppy again, which has been wonderful to see. It's tough to see his brown face fading to white and on the cold days, he moves a little slower but his eyesight is still good and the birds know they better hustle when he comes running :)
HM, we rescued Oggie too. She was about a year old and now she is 12 or 13. She can't see or hear very well, and she had a lot of joint pain. With meds, her joint pain is not as bad and she gets around pretty good. Has good days and bad, just like her master. We tried rescuing another JR but it didn't work out at all. The longer we had her the more aggressive she became. She would attack Oggie vying for the most attention and when I would intervene, I got bitten. Broke my heart but we had to put her down. I loved that dog and all she wanted was love, but it was really starting to worry me that one of the grand kids would get bitten. Here is the two of them playing. Oh, and my Oggie is almost white faced now. The brown has all faded. She is going to break my heart one day:confused:
Maggie & Oggie.JPG

HM, we rescued Oggie too. She was about a year old and now she is 12 or 13. She can't see or hear very well, and she had a lot of joint pain. With meds, her joint pain is not as bad and she gets around pretty good. Has good days and bad, just like her master. We tried rescuing another JR but it didn't work out at all. The longer we had her the more aggressive she became. She would attack Oggie vying for the most attention and when I would intervene, I got bitten. Broke my heart but we had to put her down. I loved that dog and all she wanted was love, but it was really starting to worry me that one of the grand kids would get bitten. Here is the two of them playing. Oh, and my Oggie is almost white faced now. The brown has all faded. She is going to break my heart one day:confused:

I don't know too many folks that have success with 2 female Jacks together, they tend to get aggressive over everything. My hubby had 2 older Jacks when I met him, one passed, we adopted another - the one that just passed in August. The other one he raised from a puppy, we had to put her down at 16 as she just couldn't walk or go to the bathroom anymore. I prayed every night she'd pass in her sleep but she just kept getting worse. Then we got Bryn and now Riley. I swore when Liam died this summer it hurt so bad, I never wanted to get another dog, I just wanted to enjoy Bryn knowing he's getting up there. Then, we got a call from a Jack rescue about Riley and we just couldn't say no. I will having a revolving door of dogs to raise the rest of my life knowing full well that when they go, it never gets easier, but those 10-12 yrs of time we share, warms my heart so I just keep rescuing them.

Reactions: charly and tfdchief
It's funny,,,we never realized how faded our 13 year old JR Lily's ,,, brown fur had faded on her face ,, until we got our new JR... I guess we all get gray! Benny loves the outdoors and just being with you,,, he even loved when he got to go snowmobiling here on the farm with my wife Maribeth yesterday..

104_7398.JPG

I'm new here. Been lurking for a bit and really enjoy this forum. Here are our pups, Josie on the right, is a Jack Russell, been with us for 14 years ( smartest dog ever) Pepper on the left is a Jack/Rat rescue we took in 4 years ago likely also in her mid teens (NOT smartest dog ever). Obviously they enjoy the heat!View attachment 93982
Lily,, my one JR is going on 14 as well.. Nice picture,,,makes you feel good to share the heat with your best friends;).

Congratulations! What a nice bond that is. They'll be fun to watch as play time starts down the road.

My yellow lab has lived here for 4 years and just now discovered that laying by the wood stove is awesome. He's dumber than I gave him credit for...I thought he knew it was there and just got too hot...now he's there 24x7 laying 6" away. Are dogs considered "combustible"? Because I'm not meeting clearances if they are.

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
Never thought about combustionables being the dogs! I drag the bed away, they drag it back. I just move it before I load the stove, sometimes with them on it :)
image.jpg

Reactions: tfdchief
Never thought about combustionables being the dogs! I drag the bed away, they drag it back. I just move it before I load the stove, sometimes with them on it :)
View attachment 96924
That's funny! My one JR Benny sometimes lays with his head under the stove in the front,, parts of his fur touching the cast iron! Fur must be an insulator...amazing.... Jack's do love the heat... Benny has free run here on the farm through a doggie door off the back porch,,, so he's in heaven... He'll come in from the cold and greet me and then right to the wood stove for so soothing heat.. Jacks are very entertaining..

Reactions: tfdchief
Status
Not open for further replies.