Your stove normal temperature?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
Ten months old CSS ash + damper 1/2 way opened, stove temperature about 425 and holding steady. What temperature do you keep your stove at? Seems like I need to feed it once every 40mins or so to keep it at that temperature. 79158f09d45eb9f8210941561e664c5d.jpg

400-600 degrees . . . sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less . . . but that's the average temp with the air control typically shut all the way or just open a dite.

Seasoned wood makes all the difference . . . 10 month old ash is OK, but when you're burning wood 2-3 years seasoned it's a whole other world.

Me . . . I would go nuts if I had to feed the woodstove every hour.

Reactions: Higgs
I think 425 on the door like that is probably pretty high. what stove is it?

Century CW2500...We are die hard pyromaniacs, feeding it once an hour is fine w us, haha

Well I'm a firefighter so I completely understand the pyromania (and yes I kid) . . . but I'm also a guy and inherently lazy and feeding a fire every hour gets old. Besides if you ever saw me you would realize I'm way, way ugly and need my beauty sleep and would not relish waking up every hour to load the stove during the night.

450-600 deg. for the first 4hrs then drops down to 300 or so. reload at 6hrs somewhere around 200-250. If you reload too often you will have too many coals to get a full load in. Still have coals after 8hrs but no heat to speak of.
Jim

The PE cruises at 700F on the thermo over the insert door for about an hour, then simmers down to 600F or so for another 3-4 hours, one of the best things about this stove is it's burn time & heat output.

The 13 cruises at 600F (stove top thermo) or so for about an hour, then drops down to 400F with in the next hour or 2 (depends on factors out side of my control .. wind gusts, and "oh no, sizzling firewood !" that kinda stuff) Love this stove, but should have gotten the 30 ... lesson learned.

Shut the air down, watch the temp go up (spare pants and such might be useful in this situation !!! ;em ) , and get more burn time. You have less hot coals to shovel out of there which is gonna be a given.

I like the look of your install. The insert looks like it was made to be there ;) Sharp !!!

Reactions: excessads
It's a tough call, especially with insert. Most of the guys here talk about stove top temperature. You don't know what is you stove temperature reading number from the door. It is relevant to top temperature but who knows what the difference. Looking at the fire that's going in a stove in your picture I would expect much higher temp on a stove top.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Stove top temp, I like to cruise around 600.

Reactions: heavy hammer
It's a tough call, especially with insert. Most of the guys here talk about stove top temperature. You don't know what is you stove temperature reading number from the door. It is relevant to top temperature but who knows what the difference. Looking at the fire that's going in a stove in your picture I would expect much higher temp on a stove top.

I figure 200 - 300 F MORE inside of the insert than the door reading.Cutting the air down more, will increase heat output, and burn time. A win / win.

I would also expect a much higher temp, but could depend on the coal bed, or other factors.

Reactions: excessads
I figure 200 - 300 F MORE inside of the insert than the door reading.
Allot of it will depend on how and where the airwash for the door is routed. That door could be a whole lot cooler than the actual stove top temp.

If you want to have a better idea about your stove temperature you can buy thermometer with probe and place probe on a top of insert. You are going to get much more accurate reading. That's what I did.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Allot of it will depend on how and where the airwash for the door is routed. That door could be a whole lot cooler than the actual stove top temp.

It's on the front face of the insert, over the top right side hinge corner. It's as close as I'm going to get. No infra red for this gal !

It's on the front face of the insert, over the top right side hinge corner. It's as close as I'm going to get. No infra red for this gal !
Ok Ithought you were referring to the op with their thermometer top center on the door.

Reactions: Dix
If you want to have a better idea about your stove temperature you can buy thermometer with probe and place probe on a top of insert. You are going to get much more accurate reading. That's what I did.

stove top as in top of the stove outside the insert behind the surround?

Your problem is 1/2 open air. You sending all your heat thgrough the chimney. If you have to do that to keep it going there might be other problems like wet wood. I like to keep mine between 600-450 cruising.

Century CW2500...We are die hard pyromaniacs, feeding it once an hour is fine w us, haha
Where is the air control set to? If it's too far open you will consume wood faster and possibly have a cooler fire but much hotter flue. That stove shouldn't need refilling more than every 4-6hrs. and that would be when it gets cold outside.

Reactions: Light in the Dark
After reading your comments, I adjust to 1/4 and leaving it there.

Check it .... when you reload you need to reopen air & do the whole process all over again

I can shut the air down to nadda, nynet on the PE on a good load, and it will cruise. It has also scared the crap out of me, more than once ( 2 weeks ago was freaking scarey !!!! ). It takes time to learn your stove. Basics are good, and that's what you get here, but you need time under your belt to see the 'wisdom".

The thing is that every stove has a sweet spot when temperature is steady with controlled burn for extended amount of time. Kind of " cruising". If you reload every 40 min you are missing that spot and not getting maximum efficiency from your stove. You going to learn how to get there. Every stove is different. You will need to learn yours.

Reactions: Dix
400° air opened 1/3 cat at 1300° but it's only 40° outside tonight20161107_201013.jpg
She can go 7 hours easy with a half load, haven't had a reason to load up a full load yet, where the hell is the cold weather

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: heavy hammer
Been getting the stove up to 600 to 700 before I activate the cat. With the air turned almost all the way down it cruises at 600 to 800 for six to eight hours. I can get it a lot higher but it's been just cool at night 30's and 40's. Had it a over 1000 a couple times and it's to much. The summit cruises around 400 to 500 but that is not the most accurate reading with the thermostat placed where it's at. The burn times of the summit have been pretty good so far six to eight hours, with only a couple bigger splits of cherry feeding it. I have been keeping the air a half or less once again just because it hasn't gotten real cold yet. With both running it can burn you out of the house pretty fast.

Reactions: Squisher
400° air opened 1/3 cat at 1300° but it's only 40° outside tonightView attachment 187484
She can go 7 hours easy with a half load, haven't had a reason to load up a full load yet, where the hell is the cold weather
Just want to point out that your "half load " of compressed bricks is not equal to half load of our average seasoned wood. Those brick burn hotter and longer due to low moisture content. Spent one year burning it and miss it. Nothing beats free wood , though.

Status
Not open for further replies.