Your stove store - Good or Evil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my stove a year ago, and after shopping around. I settled with the best price and, well I just liked the people more. Since then, I have had a few issues with the stove itself, but they have been handled so well, really just rare customer service. I just have to recommend them.

Esersky's Hardware
Claremont, NH
(800)863-6031
http://eserskys.com/

Good that you've found a good shop. I'd rather support a good shop, even if it costs a little more. Some folks go for the last nickel on a stove deal, but having a good shop is worth a lot for peace of mind, especially if they are also doing the installation. And when problems arise they can be worth their weight in gold.

I priced around last year for my second stove , and found what i wanted and a great deal during the last MA tax holiday, but it was miles and miles away. The stove-shop were treating me very cold, said I was too far away to install/service, and seemed they didn't even want to deal with me. After talking wood for a while, and hearing i was picking it up, doing the install etc...they warmed right up. But, many shops in my area are dinks to say the least. I think they deal with too many naieve individuals or something. Customer service around here really stinks. I can't even get a chimney-sweep to come out or even return a call.?????

unit40 said:
I priced around last year for my second stove , and found what i wanted and a great deal during the last MA tax holiday, but it was miles and miles away. The stove-shop were treating me very cold, said I was too far away to install/service, and seemed they didn't even want to deal with me. After talking wood for a while, and hearing i was picking it up, doing the install etc...they warmed right up. But, many shops in my area are dinks to say the least. I think they deal with too many naieve individuals or something. Customer service around here really stinks. I can't even get a chimney-sweep to come out or even return a call.?????

TRY THIS PLACE

olde hadieigh hearth & home
119 willimansett st rt 33
south hadley mass 1075
413-538-9845 ask for jim

I understand the "too far out " attitude they have. if something goes wrong thay are the ones that will lose out servicing (warranty) your stove.they need to make money to stay in business.if you went to work and lost money! would you be able to afford to go to work after awhile??????

This place treated me on the phone and in person like i owned the place.i just got a short leg kit for a stove i got somewhere else.

A place to stay away from is------------ More then stoves in Vernon Ct-------------------.

John

Unit40/Johnnywarm I guess that's why I started this thread. I went to all my somewhat local stores and they wouldn't talk to me, or if they did - they talked down to me. I know I don't look like a lumberjack, but I have cut and burned wood all my life.
You know, if you are ready to spend thousands on a new stove (or anything), you should get a little respect.
When I found Esersky's In NH they were nice right off the bat, and even a year later, for warranty work!

Vermontster said:
Unit40/Johnnywarm I guess that's why I started this thread. I went to all my somewhat local stores and they wouldn't talk to me, or if they did - they talked down to me. I know I don't look like a lumberjack, but I have cut and burned wood all my life.
You know, if you are ready to spend thousands on a new stove (or anything), you should get a little respect.
When I found Esersky's In NH they were nice right off the bat, and even a year later, for warranty work!

I see your point. I bet theres alot of uneducated consumers that are calling in mass numbers because of the oil prices. that could drive anybody crazy.there will always be the store that just cares about the quick buck.i do believe this heating season will separate the good stores from the bad.it's forums like this that can make or break a store.that's good for us and the real store that care about costumer serivce and return sales.

Vermontster said:
When I found Esersky's In NH they were nice right off the bat...

Yeah, respect is good. Here's my math on respect:

VT sales tax = 6%. 6% x $2000 = $120

NH sales tax = 0%

Now that's respect!

There is another thing besides uneducated consumers, its called uneducated sales people. The Place I do business with Heat and Sweep in Michigan are nice folks and all that, but the sales staff i feel has no clue on some of the questions that one would ask concerning these new type EPA stoves. Ask your sales person if they heat with wood, or ever have. Now the Guy at Home Depot who sold me my Englander. Major Dumb Ass. He had no idea what EPA rating was, what the difference between the 12 and 13 NC model was. Im glad I knew what I was looking for or I probably would have gone home with non rated 12. I think mfg's should require dealers that sell there brand stove to have a little knowledge of the product

I got mine at the Stove Shoppe in Windham, NH- right on 111.

Route 111 - The Commons
25 Indian Rock Road (Suite 19), Windham, NH 03087
(800) 892-0456
http://stoveshoppe.com/

They were helpful and knowledgeable, and the shop is nice as well. Even my wife liked it because they had those ugly Vera Bradley bags that women love so much for some reason.

They also have tools and chimney parts right there on the floor.

johnnywarm said:
unit40 said:

TRY THIS PLACE

south hadley mass 1075
413-538-9845 ask for jim

I understand the "too far out " attitude they have. if something goes wrong thay are the ones that will lose out servicing (warranty) your stove.they need to make money to stay in business.if you went to work and lost money! would you be able to afford to go to work after awhile??????

This place treated me on the phone and in person like i owned the place.i just got a short leg kit for a stove i got somewhere else.

A place to stay away from is------------ More then stoves in Vernon Ct-------------------.

John
Bought 2 stoves from them. Always very helpful, never rushed, the kind of service you would expect but seldom receive.
Ed

We purchased two Jotul stoves in the past three years from Blazing Hot Stoves in Waterbury, CT. We also had them do the installation. Brian, the owner of the shop, was great to work with- prompt, knowledgable, honest, and most of all, patient with our stove-newbie questions. I would highly recommend them. http://www.blazinghotstoves.com/

Josh

colebrookman said:
johnnywarm said:
unit40 said:

TRY THIS PLACE

south hadley mass 1075
413-538-9845 ask for jim

John
Bought 2 stoves from them. Always very helpful, never rushed, the kind of service you would expect but seldom receive.
Ed

Didnt you feel like you where in Vermont getting ready for dinner :lol: :)

VTZJ said:
Vermontster said:
When I found Esersky's In NH they were nice right off the bat...

Yeah, respect is good. Here's my math on respect:

VT sales tax = 6%. 6% x $2000 = $120

NH sales tax = 0%

Now that's respect!

New Hampshire is a great state.

John[/quote]
Ed[/quote]

Didnt you feel like you where in Vermont getting ready for dinner :lol: :)[/quote]

We're surrounded by beautiful forest loaded with color, peace and quiet, and good neighbors so it's even better than Vt. :)
Ed

Rocky's Stove Shoppe in Augusta . . . nice folks, small family-operation . . . they had the best price on the stove I wanted and had it in stock. Answered all of my questions to my satisfaction (i.e. I came prepared knowing some answers based on the research and response from this site and what they said pretty much mirrored what folks here have said about sizing, pros/cons of various models, etc.)

I haven't had much of a long-term relationship with them yet since this was a purchase this summer . . . but my buying experience was very good.

Hi guys I am new to the site. I wanted to write down a couple local guys here in south east PA. that are out of this world as well with the customer service. I also wanted ts say I really like the site, and hope to talkt o you all a little bit more once we have our stove install finished. and maybe for a few questions in the interim. Thanks

countryside hearth
route 41
Gap PA

dussingers quality stoves
2533 old philadelphia pike
smoketown PA 17576
717-397-7539

I did not buy my stove or pipe from these guys, just bought some parts for the chimney and they have been more than happy to answer any and all my questions, and even give me ideas for my install, great guys, and the parts i did purchase where at a great price.

johnnywarm said:
Vermontster said:

I see your point. I bet theres alot of uneducated consumers that are calling in mass numbers because of the oil prices. that could drive anybody crazy.there will always be the store that just cares about the quick buck.i do believe this heating season will separate the good stores from the bad.it's forums like this that can make or break a store.that's good for us and the real store that care about costumer serivce and return sales.

Why are you even making excuses for bad service?. Doesn't matter how many people call or how crazy it gets, the customer should always come first. Thats what drives the business.

Went into a fireplace shop in Northern Va, a couple of weeks ago looking for a baffle gasket for my PE Summit Insert. They didn't sell the product or knew nothing about it. I handed them some info. to research and they did call me back later that day with a price. When I first walked into this place I felt uncomfortable. Like I didn't belong there. Will never return...

My local fireplace shop is ok. The people are friendly, but they could be more informed on their product and the business.

I had great experiences when looking this spring for a stove. Never felt like I was getting the brush off or bad customer service. But I think part of the reason might have been that I was doing this in the spring, when shops weren't nearly as busy as they must be right now.

I shopped around for a package of both the stove purchase and the install. Some of the contractor records for various shops discounted them immediately. Which says something about the retail shop itself, I think... the two go hand in hand.

CK-1 said:
johnnywarm said:
Vermontster said:

Why are you even making excuses for bad service?. Doesn't matter how many people call or how crazy it gets, the customer should always come first. Thats what drives the business.

Went into a fireplace shop in Northern Va, a couple of weeks ago looking for a baffle gasket for my PE Summit Insert. They didn't sell the product or knew nothing about it. I handed them some info. to research and they did call me back later that day with a price. When I first walked into this place I felt uncomfortable. Like I didn't belong there. Will never return...

My local fireplace shop is ok. The people are friendly, but they could be more informed on their product and the business.

My point was, traveling to fix something thats to far to make money on. if the person told them at first that he was picking it up they would of had a different attitude from the start.

You went to a place like my old dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.