Your take on red spruce?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
A year and a half ago I had a 75 foot red spruce die on my place,I had it taken down and cut into 17 inch logs. I split it a few months after it was taken down and threw the large pile in the northwest corner of the property,no covering etc. A few weeks ago I figured i'd check it out and would maybe use it in the new BK as shoulder season wood.Anyhow does this stuff ever rot?not one bad piece so I stacked it in the sun ,been there about two weeks bone dry smells good fairly light about 1 and a half cords. What can I expect with this,wood is pretty and very clean no bark,should I go for it,have not yet fired up the new BK parlor.
bk2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am burning all spruce this year, 8 cords of it, in my bk.

Softwood like spruce is what grows nwar the bk factory, and for hundreds of miles in amy direction.

Bks are virtually built for conifer fuel.

I am burning all spruce this year, 8 cords of it, in my bk.

Softwood like spruce is what grows nwar the bk factory, and for hundreds of miles in amy direction.

Bks are virtually built for conifer fuel.
Thanks,we'll do it and report back,what kind of burn times are you getting.

Thanks,we'll do it and report back,what kind of burn times are you getting.

How dry is my wood? How tall is my stack? How cold is it outdoors?

I can run 12 hour burns most of the winter...

How dry is my wood? How tall is my stack? How cold is it outdoors?

I can run 12 hour burns most of the winter...
I will report back when I start burning,never really burned any softwoods,other than poplar in my previous BK,and it did 8 to 10 hrs on a full load with a 12 foot total length chimney.My spruce is totally dry like unbelievable.

rs2.jpeg rs22.jpeg rs22.jpeg
I will report back when I start burning,never really burned any softwoods,other than poplar in my previous BK,and it did 8 to 10 hrs on a full load with a 12 foot total length chimney.My spruce is totally dry like unbelievable.
Red spruce shoulder wood,the large bin is 7 feet long ,3 wide,and 3 high,enough on hand to fill 3 times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.